Stuck in the mud!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya but look at the time he saved by cutting the corner on the driveway  ;)

That is an interesting channel, i like channels like that they teach me alot about how stuff works in the world.  Hydraulics are amazing and i never new tow trucks like that had digital control panels, pretty cool. 

Im watching the jack knifed trailer one now..  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A97vNjHQxU  and he said the fifth wheel tower is bent, what is that? 

I also never realized how many different jobs at a scene the tow truck company was responsible for. No wonder it costs like a kagillion bucks to run a tow company. 

Roy M said:
:eek: That was an expensive mistake!

+1  But those that own RV's like that can afford it, i mean its like $1000 just to change the oil on one i think. 

Back when we had a 5W, I had the dubious distinction of winning an RVForum HPOF (Hit Palm On Forehead) award for getting stuck three times in the course of 8 weeks.  First time I tried to leave a campsite that had a short steep back to the roadway. It was gravel and the truck wheels just spun as the trailer nose came up and lifted weight off the truck axle. My F250 had limited slip but not 4WD, and it simply couldn't hack the loose surface.  Had to get a sympathetic park range with a FWD F350 to give a towing assist. He couldn't do it officially, but he called in a relief range to cover his duties and ten brought his personal vehicle over to help.  Great guy, and I had to coerce him into accepting a $20 tip (this was back in 1998). 

Just a week later while camped on  grassy site in another park, it rained overnight. The ground was clay and got as slippery as ice. When we tried to leave, the truck wouldn't move.  The campground owner happened by and said to "Hold on  minute". He came back with his tractor and towed us 25 feet to the roadway. I didn't feel bad about that one cause he told me it was not unusual after a rain.

Six weeks later we were camped on Lake Itasca in a lakefront grassy area that was a good 50 years off the campground road. It rained for three days and the lake overflowed into the grass, making a swamp of the entire area.  Water was almost ankle deep in the grass. I talked with the workkampers and they basically said "you ain't going anywhere without 4WD, and maybe not then either".  When check-out time came, I wanted to give it a try and made it about 25 feet before bogging down. The workkampers were on hand to help, so one of them went to get his old International 4WD wagon. They even crawled in the muddy water to hook it up so I didn't get soaked as we left. With both him and me pulling, we made it to the road. They wouldn't take anything, even though one of them was off-duty at the time.  They were just being helpful neighbors.

The HPOF award was/is informal, arranged by fellow members in recognition of ignoble performance with an RV.  I got a printed certificate plus an entrenching tool, and of course a lot of good-natured ribbing at rallies the next year.  8)  PS: I still have the entrenching tool, and probably have the certificate somewhere too.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Back when we had a 5W, I had the dubious distinction of winning an RVForum HPOF (Hit Palm On Forehead) award for getting stuck three times in the course of 8 weeks.  First time I tried to leave a campsite that had a short steep back to the roadway. It was gravel and the truck wheels just spun as the trailer nose came up and lifted weight off the truck axle. My F250 had limited slip but not 4WD, and it simply couldn't hack the loose surface.  Had to get a sympathetic park range with a FWD F350 to give a towing assist. He couldn't do it officially, but he called in a relief range to cover his duties and ten brought his personal vehicle over to help.  Great guy, and I had to coerce him into accepting a $20 tip (this was back in 1998). 

Just a week later while camped on  grassy site in another park, it rained overnight. The ground was clay and got as slippery as ice. When we tried to leave, the truck wouldn't move.  The campground owner happened by and said to "Hold on  minute". He came back with his tractor and towed us 25 feet to the roadway. I didn't feel bad about that one cause he told me it was not unusual after a rain.

Six weeks later we were camped on Lake Itasca in a lakefront grassy area that was a good 50 years off the campground road. It rained for three days and the lake overflowed into the grass, making a swamp of the entire area.  Water was almost ankle deep in the grass. I talked with the workkampers and they basically said "you ain't going anywhere without 4WD, and maybe not then either".  When check-out time came, I wanted to give it a try and made it about 25 feet before bogging down. The workkampers were on hand to help, so one of them went to get his old International 4WD wagon. They even crawled in the muddy water to hook it up so I didn't get soaked as we left. With both him and me pulling, we made it to the road. They wouldn't take anything, even though one of them was off-duty at the time.  They were just being helpful neighbors.

The HPOF award was/is informal, arranged by fellow members in recognition of ignoble performance with an RV.  I got a printed certificate plus an entrenching tool, and of course a lot of good-natured ribbing at rallies the next year.  8)  PS: I still have the entrenching tool, and probably have the certificate somewhere too.

I have owned one truck that was not four wheel drive.  Shortest time I have ever owned a vehicle.  Damn thing would get stuck on wet grass!  Never again!

It likely cost no more than 300 dollars. Probably less depending on where he got stuck.
I've been stuck a few  times..  100-200 dollars to winch me out.. But he did a better job of it. Plus he has a bigger RV.  I'm getting better. Last time I stopped digging at about half way in. The truck used his 5 ton winch instead of the big one. We towed from the front.. On my RV you can tow from either end so long as you know where to hook the cables. and that I do know.

Was much more fun watching someone ELSE stuck in the mud however.

Like that electronic tow truck.

About 4WD vehicles.
When I was a police dispatcher we had an easy way (in the winter) of telling 4WD from Fwd and Rwd cars

Front end on pavement rear in ditch  RWD
Rear end on pavement front in ditch FWD
Had to use the tilt, pan, and zoom on the camera to follow the tire tracks a quarter mile out into some farmer's field.. 4WD and towing was 3 dollars a FOOT plus response fee.

Gary RV_Wizard said:

Hi Gary and all,

Knowing that some of the long timers/current teachers on the forum have had trouble, gives me a lot of hope when I travel. I am hoping to learn from such mistakes rather than setting yet another example of what not to do or how to avoid trouble. Thanks for sharing!!

I have owned one truck that was not four wheel drive.  Shortest time I have ever owned a vehicle.  Damn thing would get stuck on wet grass!  Never again!
The superior traction of 4WD is incontrovertible. Whether every vehicle needs 4WD is different question.  That said, I would strongly consider 4WD if I were buying a vehicle used extensively for towing a heavy trailer.

I have a 4WD but for those that dont i wonder if adding a winch would be a good investment.  Also are there class A's that have onboard winches?  I assume you can get anything you want included.  But how practicle would that be for such a large vehicle, it would probably pull the tree over on top of you.

Back
Top Bottom