stuck need help tow dolly ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tnguy

Hi guys, we bought a new tow dolly "made by company for full timers" its the type that the wheels sit directly on the dolly frame and the steering in the car turns when you turn,,,,,,

ok my problem, i have a 2011 dodge grand caravan AND a 2006 dodge grand caravan and when i try to turn corners (in town) it wants to drag the dolly wheels sideways!!!!  ive never had this happen with any other cars/trucks ive tow dollied :(  the steering on the vans dont lock

here is what ive done..

left key ON
started engine and let run
put van in neutral
put van in neutral AND running

no results it still slides the dolly :(

PS the van tires do look like they are turning a little bit but then stop

thanks

Van too wide for dolly? Interference somewhere on tight turns? Safety chains to hitch too short? Tie down straps binding withe suspension behind wheels?

Bill

driftless shifter said:
Van too wide for dolly? Interference somewhere on tight turns? Safety chains to hitch too short? Tie down straps binding withe suspension behind wheels?

Bill

got about 4" between the fenders and tires
cant see anything hitting
no safty chains (still in the yard testing it out
i checked straps and couldnt see any binding even took straps off (in yard) and the van tried to shove the tires over the stop rather then turn them :(

thanks

Stop where you are when it binds, skids and crawl all over, under it. Maybe you're turning tighter than it's designed for.

Bill

driftless shifter said:
Stop where you are when it binds, skids and crawl all over, under it. Maybe you're turning tighter than it's designed for.

Bill

did that too :( cant find nothing, looks like the van wheels are only turning maybe 1/4 way is all

thanks

Maybe call Acme for advice too?

I'll follow this thread with interest as I plan to get a dolly some day and I'm looking at the acme.....

I suggest you do some online research on your dolly. Seems that your Acme EZE tow has a tendency to bind or crab or scuff in lower speed tight turns. I have a Master Tow with a turn table, tow a Toyota 4Runner with no issues. I disconnect the rear driveshaft, not sure how happy the transfer case would be if I didn't.

Bill

blw2 said:
Maybe call Acme for advice too?

I'll follow this thread with interest as I plan to get a dolly some day and I'm looking at the acme.....

did that waiting for a call back. thanks

driftless shifter said:
I suggest you do some online research on your dolly. Seems that your Acme EZE tow has a tendency to bind or crab or scuff in lower speed tight turns. I have a Master Tow with a turn table, tow a Toyota 4Runner with no issues. I disconnect the rear driveshaft, not sure how happy the transfer case would be if I didn't.

Bill

i searched around and didnt see much of anything for this dolly,  we had a ez-tow but the grand caravan was too wide for it and would hit the fenders when turning, it hauled our little truck just fine but not the van..  thanks

I did a quick search and there was talk of the geometry between the turning radius of the dolly wheels and the location of the toad wheels in relation to the dolly wheels.

Bill

It looks to me like it is built as one solid unit, and does not have a deck that will rotate a few degrees when going around a corner as most other tow dollies have.  This tow dolly performs just as I would expect it would.

Paul

If I understand the design properly, there is no solution.. Unless thre is some kind of turntable or th dolly wheels turn, it's going to do that.

Here is why.. though the wheels on the towed do turn a little, they remain across the towed from each other,, This means the dolly can not turn since this would require on side of the vehicle to move ahead of the other and if th wheels on th towed sit on the dolly frame and can not move forward or back relative to the dolly axle, it can not turn.

So the dolly wheels need to be steerable and I've never seen one like that.

I would complain requst a refund and get a new dolly.

If I was going to buy a reasonably priced tow dolly, this is what I would buy.

This is what we have, and it works well, no sliding the tires when going around corners.

http://www.americancardolly.com/

Paul

We have a Acme tow dolly and are very pleased.
Our vehicle a CRV works well with it.

Steering wheel unlocked and in natural with the
straps and safety chains providedm then it is a go.
Like anything new there is a learning curve on setup.
We have not encountered any problems making normal turns.

The unit will pivot on very tight turns as there is no
differential action. Same as a boat trailer or any other
solid axle trailer.

The factory has been very attentive to any questions
I have had either by e-mail or phone.

I had a Master Tow with a turn table for 9 years other then a broken fender no problems .
good .

Back
Top Bottom