Stupid Things to do in an RV # 387

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KodiakRV

This week I was using my onboard water pump to supplement the water pressure at an RV park that had low park pressure.? I wasn't paying attention to how much of my own FW I was using and the FW tank ran dry in less than a day.?

After refilling the tank, I turned my pump back on and it ran continuously -- it would not prime.? It took me about an hour to find where the pump was hidden.? It was behind a screwed-down panel under the kitchen sink.?

I sat there and looked at the pump with my brain out-of-gear, wondering what the trick was to get it to prime.? I noticed there were some blue finger-grip things on either side of the pump that I thought were valves.? Perhaps operating one of these was the key??

Here is where I learned a very key lesson the hard way -- NEVER OPERATE ANYTHING WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT THAT THING IS GOING TO DO.? I pulled one of the blue things out to the side and water started SPEWING out of it.? Worst of all, I couldn't get it to go back in and stop, even with the pump turned off.? Paniced, I ran out the door, around the RV, and cut off the park water supply.? By then, the water is out from under the cabinets, standing about a quarter-inch deep on the vinyl flooring, and seeping into the bordering carpeting.

Long story short -- what I pulled out was a quick-disconnect for the piping on the high-pressure side of the pump.? When I finally realized what it was and how it worked, I still couldn't get it back together without it dripping under pressure.? I think I must have slightly dinged the o-ring seal in my earlier panic.? I ended up swapping it with the o-ring on the low-pressure side, and it did finally seal.?

At least by that time I had managed to salvage our trip.? For the previous hour it looked like we were going to have to pack up and head for home.? ?:'(?

As I sat there looking at the pump and the mess, my brain finally engaged and I saw what should have been obvious.? The pump cannot prime itself by pumping air from the dry inlet against the park pressure on the other side of the pump.? I cut the park supply, opened a faucet, and then turned the pump on.? It primed in less than 15 seconds.

Several good lessons there, thanks for sharing your experience.

Back
Top Bottom