Suburban Hot Water Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rustydusty1717

Hello,

New member here! Just purchased my first RV - 1994 5th wheel Okanagan. It's an older unit but was kept in a barn for most of it's life so it's in great shape.

Having an issue with the hot water tank not turning off when it should. It's gotten hot enough once that the check valve opened and was shooting scalding hot water out. Where do I begin to troubleshoot the issue?

The thermostat and emergency cutoff switch are right on the front of the tank. Easy to replace.

a troubleshooting manual is easy to find online.

Also make sure there is an air space at the top of the tank. Lack of that can cause a premature PT opening. With the tank cool, open the PT valve until no more water flows out. Then close the valve again. Then, with either city water or water pump providing water pressure, open a hot water faucet somewhere in the RV to let it expel excess air. Leave open until water flows steadily from the faucet. The heater need not be hot to do this.
Find a Suburban service manual at Service Documents and Manuals
If your heater model begins with RV, choose the first manual; if SW choose the second version.

Looks like model is on the outside of the water heater but it's worn off. Any ideas? It's an 1994 so I can't imagine there being a lot of options for water heaters.

It could be either by Atwood or by Suburban, but they are both electrically very similar. This picture is an Atwood. The second is of the over temp. thermostat (ECO) and the control thermostat. On either water heater it will look pretty much the same but the location may vary a little.
atwood.jpgatwood-1.jpg

Looks like model is on the outside of the water heater but it's worn off. Any ideas? It's an 1994 so I can't imagine there being a lot of options for water heaters.

Use the manual for the SW model Suburbans unless you find that something doesn't match up with what you have. There isn't all that much operational difference between SW & RV models anyway. The model is mostly important if you need a part.

Outside near the top left you should see a 4x4 rubber cover. Take it off. Under you will find 2 resettle overloads. One for 12VDC, o e for 120VAC. They cost around 25 dollars each US and can easily be replaced. As old as the WH is I would be very suspicious of the wiring. Most of the wires run under the sheet metal close to the tank. The heat from hot water can scortch the insulation which can then cause lots of problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom