Suburban SW10DE water heater won't run on propane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you smell gas around the WH?
Have you checked at Outside of the WH for 12 volts at the board?
Have you checked the fuse panel for a blown fuse?

Gizmo100 said:
Do you smell gas around the WH?
Have you checked at Outside of the WH for 12 volts at the board?
Have you checked the fuse panel for a blown fuse?
Gizmo.
No. Windy today but did not smell propane.
No
No
First coach, I have a lot to learn. Tomorrow I'll figure out how to test for power at the board and I'll look for the fuse.
Thanks for getting me started!
Jeff

I also found this PDF file for Suburban WH's

Starting on page 11 for troubleshooting the LP

https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/Troubleshooting%20Guides%20and%20Tips/Water%20Heater%20Troubleshooting%20-%20Suburban%20V1.3.pdf

I know it says Heartland but it may offer you some ideas.

Suburban had issues with some control boards.  But you say it works on electricity.  So Im thinking the control board is probably OK.  You do need to check for 12VDC present at the WH and follow it to the solenoid.
Is this a brand new WH or just new to you?

First some good news.  The SW10DE does not use the circuit board to control the electric heating element, the 120 VAC is turned on or off by the wall switch inside the RV and just goes through 120 volt Normal temperature and High Temperature Cut Off thermostats to the electric heating element.  This means the electric heating side will continue to work without the control board functioning or even present.

Here's a link to your specific water heater's service manual:

http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Suburban-Water-Heater-Model-SW10DE-Service-Manual.pdf

Sometimes overlooked is the reset button on the High Temperature Cut Off thermostat.  There are two sets of Thermostats and TCOs, one for the 120 volt heater, the other for the 12 volt control board so it's possible one has tripped without affecting the other.  They're mounted on the outside of the water tank and there are pictures on Page 18 of the service manual.

If the High Temperature Cutoff has tripped, i.e. the gas side lights after you push the reset button, it's likely the partnered normal temperature thermostat has failed, allowing the burner to continue heating the water until it gets hot enough to trip the TCO safety cutout.

Ok, I'm an idiot.
In the document Gizmo sent it states.....
"Note that if the water in the tank is already heated, the ignition sequence (propane) may not occur until the water cools to less than 100 degrees."
DOH!
I turned off the water heater when we hit the road this morning. When we landed it fired right up on gas.
I get smarter everyday working with y'all!
Thanks, Jeff 8)

So what your saying is the Hot water heater  won't heat up the hot water....Hmm

Maybe your RV has the new updated Cold water heater.. ;D ;D

Glad you got it figured out :)) :))

We leave for our first long trip Sat. and I can't wait to see what "idiot" thing I do.

Glad it's working Jeff. I would suggest buying the two thermostats (120V & 12V) as spares - one day they will quit working and you'll feel like a genius when you go to your parts bin and fix it in 10 minutes

Back2PA said:
Glad it's working Jeff. I would suggest buying the two thermostats (120V & 12V) as spares - one day they will quit working and you'll feel like a genius when you go to your parts bin and fix it in 10 minutes
You're probably right Scott. All I'll need to do is call you for instructions!

Gizmo100 said:
We leave for our first long trip Sat. and I can't wait to see what "idiot" thing I do.

Be sure to keep us posted  ;D ;D ;D              (safe travels)

Glad you figured out your water heater Jeff, usually is something silly we overlook or don't think about.

Gizmo100 said:
So what your saying is the Hot water heater  won't heat up the hot water....Hmm

Maybe your RV has the new updated Cold water heater.. ;D ;D

Glad you got it figured out :)) :))

:) ;) ::) :eek: ;D :))

Back
Top Bottom