Success!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liuhisn

Hello all. I have some good news to report about my ‘95 Dolphin RV that would not start. I ran the gauntlet of possibilities from oil pump to clogged fuel lines to fuel pumps. Turns out it was a combination of of clogged fuel lines and stuck lifters along with some bent rods! A mechanic that knew what he was doing was able to fix the lifters and rods and get the Rv going! I was able the Rv going; I drove it home!
Now the question is about the inner workings of the RV itself. I am going to check the fuses to find out why there is no power to the tv and vcr, the microwave and the tv in the master bedroom. Do these only turn on when plugged into an external power source? Does anyone know of a site where I can get a copy of the owners manual for a ‘95 Dolphin rv? Any tips or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

Now the question is about the inner workings of the RV itself. I am going to check the fuses to find out why there is no power to the tv and vcr, the microwave and the tv in the master bedroom. Do these only turn on when plugged into an external power source?

Short answer: YES

Longer answer: All RV'd have a device called a CONVERTER. this CONVERTS 120vac (Shore power) to 12VDC (Battery power) and runs lights. water pumps, the furnace and control power to Fridge, water heater and Air Conditioners (CONTROL only) and some other optional stuff.

Some also contain an INVERTER (Think INVERSE of a converter) that converts battery power back up to 120 volts in most cases this is only for the TV/Entertainment electronics but in some high end it also runs the Microwave and other stuff. My Rig did not come with one but I installed one "After market" and it ran the Microwave.. Electronics, And GFCI sockets (kitchen/bath)

I doubt your rig has one of those based on age They are more of a 21st Century addition.
IT is not hard to add one however.... If you so desire.. they do eat battery power when microwaving however.

Yes typically, you have to be plugged into 110 volt AC for those items you mentioned along with all the wall recepticals. If you plug in to shore power and they still don’t work, start by looking at the circuit breakers in the entrance panel somplace in your rv. First thing is to shut them all off then back on. You have to do it this way in case they have tripped., This resets them.

Congratulations on getting her running, I remember your challenges. Inner workings are much easier to troubleshoot typically. As mentioned, things that run off 110vac will need to be plugged in or a generator to supply power. Everything else is off the battery.

As others have said, your TV & VCR most likely are 120V power which means you must have either shore power or the generator running if your Dolphin has one. If you do have a generator it should supply poer to the TV sets and the outlets.

Most other electric appliances will use 12V electricity, with exception of the microwave which will also be a 120V appliance needing shore power or generator power. I think that you would also find it helpful to read the online article, The 12V Side of Life by Mark Nemeth.

Now I have to climb underneath the rig and search for the stamp on the LP tank to find the size. I know it has to be replaced due to its age. I’m guessing it’s a 33 cfg tank.

I know it has to be replaced due to its age.
It will only need to be replaced if you wish to do so or if it leaks. That type tank does not have the age limit that is found on the bottles used on travel trailers. If you locate the tank fill connection on your propane tank there should be a data plate permanently attached to the tank near it that lists all of the information about the tank.
attachment.php

You can easily see the data plate one this tank in the upper right above the regulator.

It will only need to be replaced if you wish to do so or if it leaks. That type tank does not have the age limit that is found on the bottles used on travel trailers. If you locate the tank fill connection on your propane tank there should be a data plate permanently attached to the tank near it that lists all of the information about the tank.
attachment.php

You can easily see the data plate one this tank in the upper right above the regulator.
That is good to know; saves me some cash! I didn’t see a data plate on mine, will have to clean it off.

Attachments

• C2DEEFBC-3B9D-44E2-9192-A1FD28183663.jpeg
    C2DEEFBC-3B9D-44E2-9192-A1FD28183663.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 9
The Capacity will be marked WC XX the WC meaning Water Capacity, in gallons. Take the WC number and multiply by .8 (or however you want to calculate 80% of it) and then multiply that result by 4.25 lbs/gal for the weight of LP to get the actual pound capacity of a full propane tank.

Example of a ASME data plate. The WC number is located on the left column toward the bottom.

b55f931d-7eff-45de-b27b-15fe760ffc88-jpeg.150397

Back
Top Bottom