Suggest a FW under 32' for a Family of 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nickens

We would like to move up to FW for our family and are looking for suggestions that fit within our narrow parameters. 

Two tall adults, two boys 10 and 6, and a girl 3.  We would like a king or queen for us, 3+ bunks in a separate room for the kids, and slide(s) for extra living space.  We have a storage limit of 31'6" at home.  It seems most everything we look at with 3+ bunks is over 32'.  We would prefer something under 30' as we do most of our camping in California State Parks where most site lengths are 26' and ery few for >30'.

Any ideas?  We will also consider a toy hauler if the bunks are up front.

-Blaine & Linda
Folsom, CA
2004 F350 CC 4x4 6.0
2005 Outback 28RSS

There are a gazillion floorplans out there.  However, you might be pressed to come up with a two-bunk, one sofa-bed, and one double/queen bed in a bedroom in a 5W, 30 foot and under.    A travel trailer might get you into the layout you need in a 30 footer on down.  Prowler for one, has a decent looking 30' TT with just that layout.  Take a look on their website.  (Google on prowler trailers).    There are sure to be other brands with the same layout -- I have seen a number at shows.

In California State Parks, you are well advise to keep the length down.  The beach parks in particular seem to feel that not too wide parking spaces on a asphalt lot or alongside (!) a road are adequate RV sites.  Be careful with slideouts

Keystone makes a Springdale 5er that looks like it meets all your needs except one ... it is 2 inches too long! 32"2". The model number (in case you can find an extra 2") is 283FWBHLGL

We just bought a shamrock...4 bunks in back and a big bed (as a fold out) in front plus the ability to sleep 4 more if needed..no push out (by request by us).  Under 4000 pounds..toungue weight is 375 (I think).

All normal ammenities.

Cheers
Ian.

Check out the Rockwoods....Friends of ours I know had to limit the size of theirs due to small truck issues and they did get a rockwood with a bunk room and even a separate entrance.  I am not sure if it has three bunks though but I do believe it was small.  I am not sure of the size so don't get too excited but just though I would suggest that you check their website and go from there.  If you can't get three bunks most have sofa beds and fold down dinettes to go with the bunks.

The OutBack Sidney Edition by Keystone is very nice at 29ft. The two bunks are in a separate area in the rear with it's own door. It will sleep 8 I believe. It has a "passive heating"undercarriage and Fiberglass sides. Definitely worth a look.

Something else you can consider:

On some 5w trailers, you can move the pin box back a couple of inches.  If it isn't already drilled for that, then have it done professionally.

Spare tires can oftentimes be mounted under the unit, or on the front face below the bedroom if you get the right mounting hardware.  This will gain you several inches over a spare tire mounted on the rear bumper.

You might also look at what might be done to lengthen your storage area.  You don't mention what that area is.  I removed the 2 x 4 facing on the rear concrete wall of our garage to gain 4" so that we could fit our 24' 7" 5th in our garage that I had previously measured at a maximum of 24' 3".  I back the trailer into the garage until it goes 'bump', and then when the overhead door closes, it clears the pin box by 1/2".  However, 1/2" is enough!  :)

If it is outside storage, I've seen some folks cut holes in fences and/or gates to allow the pin box to stick through a bit.

Remember too that the trailer is probably several inches longer than what it is 'rated' at.  Our 24' 7" unit is called a 23 footer.

Frank.

Look at the Glendale Titanium 36E41.  It has a front bedroom with queen, big wardrobe, mid kitchen/living and rear bunks and bath on 2 opposing slides.  2 bunks on each slide with bath (toilet & sink), plus closet, on the centerline.  the bath and closet serve as divider and privacy between the 2 halves. 

Real nice unit and tows easily.

Bill

Bill, that is a brilliant design. The bunks at the back with their own doors and their own bathroom. That is a great way for a family to travel together and enjoy themselves. If my kids were still young that is something that I would definitely be considering for mobile accommodation.
Heck, I am still thinking about it. My plan wasn't to be taking them with us but there could well be trips where the guys (22 & 29) would want to have some facilities while they go off downhill biking. Sara (25) and Margaret (SWMBO) would need us to have parked somewhere near craft stores (bears, beads and anything else that strikes their fancy).

My next question. What would you tow it with, that had comfortable travelling room for 6 bodies as well?

This can be towed with  the new Fords.  I don't have the weight here in front of me, but I seem to remember (I could be so wrong!), something in the GVWR of 16,000.  I also just noticed the 32' and under title.  ooops...  sorry. 

BTW, 36E41 refers to 36' pin to rear, 41 overall.  The overhang eliminates need for wing due to aero-dynamic shape.

http://keystone-laredo.com/

Our SIL has a laredo bunkhouse. 4 kids ages 2mo. to 10 years old. One reason he bought this one was how much weight the bunks could hold. Most trailers bunks will hold 150lbs. This one the bunks will hold 300lbs. They seem to like ithe trailer alot.

Barb
currently in Camp Verde,AZ

Good suggestion Barb, it's a 32 footer and it has bunks for the kids. I think you could have a lot of fun with a unit like that.
http://www.keystonerv.com/divisions/laredo/floorplans/2006/32RS.gif

Back
Top Bottom