Suggestions for summering over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowell

I was reading about all the suggestions for folks wintering over.  Since we live in Arizona, we will be staying home in the winter.  But I would appreciate some suggestions for places to go in the summer.  We enjoy fishing and sight seeing in rugged country.
Jake

Jake,

Sounds like the Moab Rally will be just the ticket for you.  Great scenery getting there while there and leaving there. Great group of Framily members there too.

Jake said:
I was reading about all the suggestions for folks wintering over.? Since we live in Arizona, we will be staying home in the winter.? But I would appreciate some suggestions for places to go in the summer.? We enjoy fishing and sight seeing in rugged country.
Jake

Go west young man go west.  In California we have the High Sierra and the Coast to keep cool in. 

High Sierra -- Lake Tahoe, Mammoth Lakes and Bishop, Bridgeport.  Great mountains.  World class trout -- try for record sized browns in Twin Lakes at Bridgeport, and rainbows and even goldens in most any creek or lake.

Coast -- anyplace from Santa Barbara north.  Good ocean fishing at Sta. Barbara, Pismo and Avila Beaches, Morro Bay,  Cambria, and most any port town north to Ft. Bragg (abalone for divers).    The lakes and reservoirs have trout, stripers, largemouth bass, and cats.  Lake Cachuma has a neat full hookup park (no reservations) attached to it.  The further north you get the cooler you get, but even San Diego, with the best salt water fishing and fresh water bassing in the state is cool in the summer.

Expanding on Ron's advice, Utah - the entire state. Awesome scenery, albeit a bit toasty in the summer in many places. And right next door is Colorado. And both have mountains where you can go hide if it's too warm at lower elevations.

One of the advantages of Wyoming, Colorado, Montana, Idaho and Utah is the great mountans, Fishing, Wildlife watching, excellent scenery with very little traffic, unless of course you choose to visit Denver or SLC but even then it isn't as bad as some places, and very friendly people.

Jake;  I and my wife, Daisy now live in Sierra Vista.  This past summer we spent in the northeast corner of Utah.  The best places were from Torrey [Capitol Reef] north to Flaming Gorge.  Many good state and national parks plus good private campgrounds.  Most beautiful state in the Union.  After Moab - some of the forum people will be going to Torrey and then I hope will go on to Goblin State Park [on 191] then to Green River, on to Red Fleet State Park, Dinosaur National Monument and Flaming Gorge.

Fred,  That sounds like a good trip.  I'm going to get out the atlas and check out your suggestions.  We did the drive a few years back from Mexican Hat to Moab and I had forgotten how pretty it was.  Next summer we will do it your way, this time with a TT.  I also liked Carl's suggestions in California near Tahoe area.  I always wanted to camp on an ocean beach somewhere so if anyone has some suggestions for those, would like to hear them.
Thanks,
Jake

Jake said:
? I also liked Carl's suggestions in California near Tahoe area.? I always wanted to camp on an ocean beach somewhere so if anyone has some suggestions for those, would like to hear them.

Oddly enough, Los Angeles has those in spades.? Dockweiler Beach in Playa Del Rey in LA has all its sites ON the beach.? ? http://beaches.co.la.ca.us/bandh/Beaches/Dockweiler.htm

Further north and west, on CA-1, is Leo Carrillo State Park http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=616.?

Finally just short of Oxnard on CA-1 is Pt. Mugu State Park which like Dockweiler, has sites directly on the beach.? http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=630

Down south of LA is Doheny SP at Dana Pt.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=645

Oh shoot, there are a whole batch of these in CA.? Go to the CA Parks website and browse to your hearts content.?

One caution tho.? ?The North Pacific is no Gulf of Mexico.? ?It can be cold.? ? If you want to swim, without a wet suit that is, stay south of Pt. Conception at Santa Barbara and pick the months of July and August.

At any state beach, reservations are critical. 

Back
Top Bottom