Sun shade for Carefree awning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alpena Jeff

We think this would be a nice addition. Awning is 16ft wide. We've been to their site and it seems they have a great solution. We have the "extra" channel for this product.
Are there better, cheaper solutions that you have discovered?
Thanks, Jeff

Carefree makes two covers that I am aware of,, mine is the aluminium segmented type, the other is a vinyl wrap,, and the awning is 22 years old and in terrific shape. I also store the coach in a heated garage when not in use (126K miles averaging 9800 per year,, so it does get exposed).>>>Dan  (A Michigan native)

Jeff, I think you may be talking about a screen that hangs off of your extended awning.  I think utclmjmpr is talking about a device that covers the rolled  up awning.  I think you need to clarify.

I have the screen called VistaShade made by Shade Pro. I really like it. The main reason is that the shade comes in 2 pieces.
I have a 7' high shade. The top, which slides into the roller, is 12" high then there's a zipper to attach the lower section.  Ours is 7' total. The bottom panel is 6' and the top panel is 1'. Now if you wanted a let's say 10' high shade, the bottom panel would be 6' and the top panel would be 4'.  The bottom panel is always 6' high.
The reason they do this is that the top panel stays attached to the awning roll and rolls up with the RV shade. When you extend the awning, you then attach the lower panel. It's designed this way so you can always attach the lower panel while standing on the ground. No need of a step ladder.

https://www.shadepro.net/product/vista-shade-for-electric-rv-awnings/

They are also available on Amazon.

My brother has one as described by Rene,, I like it better than mine that I have to attach to the roller then raise the awning.. Then I stake it out to the ground at an angle..  It professes to reduce UV rays by 60% and it DOES reduce heat and wind abunch.>>>Dan

Thanks for the info guys.
Rene, the one you describe is exactly like the one I?m looking at.
2 questions...
Can you leave the top portion attached indefinitely rolled up in the casing?
Also, is your awning power or manual.
I had a dealer here in Casa Grande tell us today not to leave it rolled up with awning retracted. I questioned why and didn?t get much of an answer

Alpena Jeff said:
Thanks for the info guys.
Rene, the one you describe is exactly like the one I?m looking at.
2 questions...
Can you leave the top portion attached indefinitely rolled up in the casing?
Also, is your awning power or manual.
I had a dealer here in Casa Grande tell us today not to leave it rolled up with awning retracted. I questioned why and didn?t get much of an answer

Jeff, My awning is electric. I only use the shade when I snowbird for the entire winter in FL so I take the top panel off the roller when I break down when it's time to go home. But they are designed to stay in the roller if you want to. I also added some more grommets (they only applied 3) at the bottom of the lower panel and use bungee cords to tie it down.
It also comes with hanging clips which slides on a beaded rope so you can hang awning light.

I saw the Shade Pro version and I also saw one being sold over at the Quartzsite KB hardware guy.  Got a 16' x 7' with the zippered connection.  I bought it for my Winnebago with a Carefree, but turned around and bought a Country Coach with ZipDee.  The ZipDee awning has no track, so went to their site and looked at how they recommended attaching.  They have the same thing they sell.  Drill and rivet snaps on the roller.  Then the top zippered portion can be left and rolled or unsnapped and leave with the drop portion.  The one we bought at KB was only $69.  Very happy with it.

One more question....
My "extra channel" is not located at the bottom of the awning casing when awning is extended as shown on all the videos I've seen. It is in the 2oclock position when looking from the front of the coach. The videos show it at the bottom or 6 o'clock position. Anyone see a problem with this?
It looks like I can still get at it.

I got a free Sun Shade awning accessory from Carefree when I replaced my awning fabrics and it's worthless in my opinion.  It takes two men and a boy on ladders to get it installed.  It has to slide in the channel through a slot in the head that is above the arms, so you're on a ladder trying to lay it out between your awning arm and then down through the underside of the awning, and it CAN'T be rolled up with the awning.  I'll just sell it to someone with a manual awning.

The new electric awnings all seem to be too high to start with.  I demo awnings every day for customers new to. RVing so I see this.  Many have a release to lower the front of the awning, but many times you would need a set stool to grab hold.  As much as the electrics are convenient I think I'll stick with my manual, I can bring it down to about 5' to hang the shade then elevate it. 

Tiffin in cooperation with one of the awning folks made a drop shade that winds INTO the roller.  That would certainly not work on a manual, but is a nice feature on the electrics.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom