Super C?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottydl

Site Team
Hey guys - experience needed here.  Check out this eBay auction, and tell me is this a Super C?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130014070289

It appears to be a standard Class C in many regards, but I've never seen one quite like it.  The wheels/tires look bigger than the standard 16-16.5", the front end is longer than other Chevys, and it just looks heavier duty.  Higher off the ground maybe?  Plus it's manufactured (coach and all) by Chevrolet, rather than just the chassis as I usually see.

Looks like an ordinary Class C to me. May be a refurbished rental unit.....cabover bed doesn't look like it has a lift-up piece to give you head room in the driving cab which is typical of rentals. And the listing doesn't say anything about "one owner" or "gently used" or anything like that. I'd contact the seller and ask for more info if you're really interested in it.

With a mileage of 104642, is this possibly an ex-rental unit that was wholesaled out for next to nothing? OTOH the photos suggest the unit is in good condition and has been looked after. Remember, the camera never lies, but I'd want to see it first hand before making an offer.

LOL Tom....great minds and all that....we both came up with the possible ex-rental unit idea.

Wendy, I didn't mean to steal your thunder  :-[

Hey, no thunder-stealing here....we're both brilliant  :D  Actually, we came at it from different directions....you on the mileage, me on the overhead bed. Shows that everyone here has a different approach to things and can all contribute.

I'm not at the point where I would make an offer on it, I just had never seen a Chevy unit of that style before.  Didn't look big enough to be a Super C but I thought I'd ask.

I considered "C" class but ultimately decided against them. Just as a vehicle with an engine, this one has a lot of miles, Scotty. Like others said, I'd look it over or reserve the right to have a pro inspect it. It does look in good shape.

I have to admit, I'm looking forward to finding out what you end up buying. Looking is half the fun, don't you think? You'd make a good RV neighbor ...

chaajoad said:
Looking is half the fun, don't you think?

Hehe, it is but sometimes it's also overwhelming to have SO many choices out there.  We have the internet to "thank" for that.  ;)  There is a large Illinois dealership (Pontiac RV) about 40 miles from me that I still need to check out.  Otherwise I've mostly been scouring eBay and the other online RV classifieds... more for research than for serious purchasing though.  I haven't seen anything online that's been close to me yet, that I'd be able to throroughly inspect prior to purchase.  I'm not in the mindset yet where I would fly across the country to buy something and drive it home, especially since I'm looking at older units... the travel costs would probably equal a good chunk of my purchase price, not necessarily the case if I was looking to spend big bucks.

chaajoad said:
You'd make a good RV neighbor ...

Well thanks, you would too... we could sit and figure out those electrical problems together.  ;D  Maybe we'll be at the same CG someday.

If you are talking about the Dealer on I-57 just outside of Kankakee.  Forget it,  buy from them and then you'll believe me.  I wouldn't give them the satisfation of even stopping on their lot.  You are close enough to Elkhart and you won't find more dealers then they have there.  The one on EBay sure isn't a Super C  it's nothing more than a reg C.  Sure a lot of miles for any $ amount.

Scotty -

You and I went down similar paths - you're still going down yours. When I started searching, I did it at work because of the high speed connection. I'd work like crazy and then spend 10 minutes or so searching. THEN - after over 4 years - we finally got high speed here so the search leaked into the few hours I have at home. It truly drove me a bit wacky.

I was considering flying to pick up a motorhome. I found what seemed like a pretty nice dealer in AZ but then I came to my senses. I live in a populated area - Seattle - and there MUST be an RV in my price range for sale around here. So I decided to only search ebay and craigslist in the Seattle-Portland-Spokane area.

When I found the unit I ended up buying, I was frankly stunned when the owner accepted my offer. It was becoming real. Now I have this 35' vehicle next to my house and we're committed to at least a year before deciding to keep it or sell. Gas prices going up like crazy don't help matters much.

But last night we sat in it, reading, doing a crossword puzzle, drinking coffee. We're very close to our first real outing. And I saw how happy my wife and son were. So far, it's been worth it.

Have fun on your search -

Shayne said:
If you are talking about the Dealer on I-57 just outside of Kankakee.  Forget it

That's not Pontiac RV... it's in Pontiac, IL located off of I-55.  About 45 miles southwest of the Kankakee area, so I'm pretty sure it's a different dealer.

Thanks for the comments chaajoad, although I hope I'm not doing this for the next 4 years.  ;)  I'd like to have our MH by next year (camping season)... well of course I'd like to have to right NOW... but to be realistic it will be at least next year before the cash is available.  I'm with you in that there MUST be something for sale in central IL or Chicago/St. Louis at least (I'm about 2 hours from each).  Actually I've found a great-looking Class C for sale privately not 5 miles from my house, but it's been sitting for 2 years (would be 3 by the time I bought it) and that makes me a little nervous.  I need to go test drive it and really give it a complete once-over this week or next, so I can rule it "in" or "out" as a contender.

Seeing as it's been there 2 years, the owners might be agreeable to an out-of-the ordinary purchase agreement, like a lease to buy with the lease $$ going toward purchase price. As long as everything is in writing ...

Post here what you thought of the rig. I'm curious ... 

You are right  different RV dealer.    If you are considering that unit sitting nearly 3 yrs,  figure tires for sure and one of the hardest thing on RV's  is sitting unused.  Probably needs a through check of water lines and batteries.  You can't believe how hard sitting is on them.  If it were me  -------I'd have to steal if figuretively-- to spend much for it.  Brakes and rotors might be bad too.  Caution caution caution

chaajoad said:
Seeing as it's been there 2 years, the owners might be agreeable to an out-of-the ordinary purchase agreement, like a lease to buy with the lease $$ going toward purchase price. As long as everything is in writing ...

I'd like to know more about this option, and others' experiences with such an arrangement.  I'll start a new thread...

It just so happens that I recently purchased a Fleetwood Tioga 31T very similar to what you posted. These units are on a P-30 GM chassis not a G-30. It has 19.5" wheels and is actually a Class C on a Class A chassis. Having owned a 84 Jayco 25' on a G-30 chassis for 14 years, when I decided to buy another motorhome I wanted something "better" in a class c, more towability and gvw. I love it.
By the way mine had 84000 well cared for miles on it. That is nothing for a commercial truck chassis.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom