Superbloom of Wildflowers AZ & CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackiemac

Site Team
Joined
Feb 22, 2016
Posts
7,315
Location
Scotland
Wow, wish we were out there to witness this.

Any of you close to these areas should get out there to see them and take photos for me  ;D

https://www.sunset.com/travel/outdoor-adventure/super-bloom-2019-anza-borrego?inf_scroll&utm_expid=.pFPHK41SRJeNr67Pf7_p8w.1&utm_referrer=
 

SLOweather

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 2, 2018
Posts
340
Anyone in the CA area, or planning to come see the various blooms can check the Wildflower Hotline at http://theodorepayne.org/learn/wildflower-hotline/. Use the links to choose the most current PDF to download.
 

SeilerBird

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Posts
16,700
Location
St Cloud Florida USA
You can forget the idea of a wildflower bloom this year. The rains came too late:

March 11, 2019 Death Valley NP reports: As of MARCH 10th 2019 we have not received the early seasonal rains needed to have a spring superbloom. We did receive rains later in the winter season, but too late to effect the 2019 bloom. We are seeing some wildflowers blooming in the lower elevations, but they are VERY sparse.

The parts of the park at elevations between 3,000 feet - 5,000 feet are expected to have great blooms, but different species than the lower elevations of course! This will also occur later in the spring - possibly in late April.



Read more: https://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca_dv.html#ixzz5i3aFo7O2
 

ArdraF

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2006
Posts
10,693
The biggest bloom area seems to be at Anza Borrego S.P.

ArdraF
 

Dreamsend

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 16, 2016
Posts
614
At least in Phoenix, they're calling it a Super Bloom.  There are tons of blooms everywhere around Phoenix - at the Maricopa County Regional Parks, the Sonoran Desert Preserve, Picacho Peak SP and Lost Dutchman SP all of which I've visited. So far, I've identified 40 different wildflower plants in bloom encountered when strolling on the trails.  Actually, my first lupines, phacelia, chia, brittlebush, and primroses (among others) were back in late February at the southern end of Joshua Tree NP.  Now the poppies and globemallow are dominant. 

Quote from DesertUSA
""March 22, 2019 - The wildflowers are blooming in many areas. It's a very good year for wildflowers in California and Arizona, a super bloom. Lake Elsinore, CA had to shut down access to Walker Canyon on the weekend.""
Read more: https://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/wildupdates.html

The Natl Park Service at Joshua Tree stopped updating their internet wildflower reports and started using the DesertUSA.com resource a couple years ago.  Very good resource.

Linda
 
S

sightseers

Guest
CHP is having major issues with everyone stopping on the 15 freeway near Lake Elsinore.

it's all over the local news with millions of people trampling the Poppy fields taking "Selfies" ...park rangers yelling at people..

It appears the "Super Bloom" of desert poppies is being... Media-Murdered.    :'(
 

jackiemac

Site Team
Joined
Feb 22, 2016
Posts
7,315
Location
Scotland
sightseers said:
CHP is having major issues with everyone stopping on the 15 freeway near Lake Elsinore.

it's all over the local news with millions of people trampling the Poppy fields taking "Selfies" ...park rangers yelling at peoyple..

It appears the "Super Bloom" of desert poppies is being... Media-Murdered.    :'(
Like a lot of places unfortunately..
 

jackiemac

Site Team
Joined
Feb 22, 2016
Posts
7,315
Location
Scotland
Dreamsend said:
At least in Phoenix, they're calling it a Super Bloom.  There are tons of blooms everywhere around Phoenix - at the Maricopa County Regional Parks, the Sonoran Desert Preserve, Picacho Peak SP and Lost Dutchman SP all of which I've visited. So far, I've identified 40 different wildflower plants in bloom encountered when strolling on the trails.  Actually, my first lupines, phacelia, chia, brittlebush, and primroses (among others) were back in late February at the southern end of Joshua Tree NP.  Now the poppies and globemallow are dominant. 

Quote from DesertUSA
""March 22, 2019 - The wildflowers are blooming in many areas. It's a very good year for wildflowers in California and Arizona, a super bloom. Lake Elsinore, CA had to shut down access to Walker Canyon on the weekend.""
Read more: https://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/wildupdates.html

The Natl Park Service at Joshua Tree stopped updating their internet wildflower reports and started using the DesertUSA.com resource a couple years ago.  Very good resource.

Linda

Lucky you! Post a few of your favourite photos please...
 

ArdraF

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2006
Posts
10,693
The other night on TV I saw an overhead video of the poppy bloom at Lake Elsinore.  (Shot by a drone I suspect.)  When I was a kid we lived in northern California from 1946-1949.  Back then all the hills were ablaze like that every year.  Mt. Diablo in the east bay was beautiful back then.  How sad that so few people today can see how spectacular our surroundings used to be!

ArdraF
 

Punomatic

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 28, 2009
Posts
702
Location
Over yonder
We made a drive on I15 from Los Angeles to San Diego during the last week of February. The hills were covered with poppies. People were stopping by the side of the road on the interstate to walk up into the poppy patches and to take photos. It was amazing.
 
S

sightseers

Guest
SeilerBird said:
You can forget the idea of a wildflower bloom this year. The rains came too late:

March 11, 2019 Death Valley NP reports: As of MARCH 10th 2019 we have not received the early seasonal rains needed to have a spring superbloom. We did receive rains later in the winter season, but too late to effect the 2019 bloom. We are seeing some wildflowers blooming in the lower elevations, but they are VERY sparse.

The parts of the park at elevations between 3,000 feet - 5,000 feet are expected to have great blooms, but different species than the lower elevations of course! This will also occur later in the spring - possibly in late April.



Read more: https://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca_dv.html#ixzz5i3aFo7O2

Death Valley may have not gotten any rain but the rest of California did.  They are saying we are above normal rainfall levels this year and the drought is officially over for much of our state.

It's nice to see the lake levels back up too  ... :))

https://la.curbed.com/2019/2/7/18215797/rain-los-angeles-drought-weather
 
Top Bottom