Superchip Tuner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcisneros

I own Ford F250 Superduty, that I use to pull a 27 Ft. fifth wheel.  With the price of gas at $2.00  I have been looking at  Tuners that load new setting in the Trucks computer,but am not to sure if they work as good as adverticed . Has anybody  used one of this tuners, I have found  Superchips Flash  Paq Tuner, Manufactured by Superchips Inc. Is the savings on miles per gallon worth the price  $385.00.

I wouldn't bother on a gas engine. The results are much more on a diesel engine, but the Superchips is a generic tuner that is made to work for most users. I chose to go with a real tune from DPTuner.com and my truck is awesome. You don't want to add more ponies without beefing up other areas of the powertrain to handle the extra power. If you have the 5.4 in that truck, there isn't much you will be able to do to it, get a V10 or PSD if you really want a towing machine. Sorry, just being honest.

Is the savings on miles per gallon worth the price  $385.00.
Sounds like you have a misconception of what a chip mod or tuner is designed to do. They will increase horsepower (at the cost of increased gas usage) or shift the power band to suit your type of driving. They're not meant to save gasoline; they're meant to give you more pulling power or acceleration.

I think what he is saying is that you'll get minimal results on the 5.4L engine because chips and tuners don't seems to have as great of effect on gas engines.  I ran a SUperchip in my 2002 Dakota with the 4.7L V8 and got minimal power gains.  I ended up selling the chip b/c I was unhappy with it.  It would be a better investment to get some lower gears if you want pulling power in my opinion.  Diesels on the other hand get huge gains from chips.  I know several people who have put tuners or chips on their diesels and the gain on them is insane.  Someone else might tell you you can get a big performance gain from a chip but from my experience I would say just save your money.  You want more power you're better off buying a diesel.  Like I said though that is just my opinion

Jake,
you are correct in your statement. Also I agree none of the generic tuners will provide any gains in milage even though they claim they will. I have a custom economy tune from Jody at DP Tuner and I actually have seen a 1.5 mpg increase with this particular tune. All of the shift points are changed and the truck drives completely different. I use this tune when not towing and the 60 tow proram when towing the trailer, but again this is with a 7.3 powerstroke not a gas engine.

Interesting... The "Chip" I investigated said it does best on gas engines.  Now which one was that?

In fact it specifically says it does best on the engine that is currently under my right foot. (Chevy 8.1 Vortec)

Memory strikes so I modified this post... The "chip" I was looking at is the Ultra Power

Well what I'm saying is that in my experience chips on gas engines arent worth what you pay for them, but the chips on the diesel engines give you a large power gain, better shift points, and improved gas mileage.  Thats just from my experience.  They might work better for larger big blocks, maybe, im not positive about that, but its probably not going to help with your MPG much. 

I have used a programmer in the last 2 trucks. I had a Hypertech in my 99 Silverado with the 5.3l and have an Edge programmer in my 05 F150 with the 5.4l.
Mileage did not increase with either programmer, I log it religiously. Most programmer dont change any factory tuning(air/fuel or ignition) while at normal daily driving. Usaully after 75-80% throttle they do their thing.
I use programmers to make adjustments for tire size and gearing, and for adjusting shift characteristics. Increases in power are minimal and increases in milage are non existent.

I use programmers to make adjustments for tire size and gearing, and for adjusting shift characteristics. Increases in power are minimal and increases in milage are non existent.

Amen

Thank you for the info, I am not looking for more power just trying to get better gas milage, thank you again for the answers.

For mileage you take what you got and get what you get.  If you're worried about mileage than RVing isn't in the cards.  It's a Major expense, no if's, ands, or buts.

Back
Top Bottom