Sure-fire way to save a FORTUNE on Amazon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

If you really want to save $$ when browsing/shopping on Amazon, just do what I do: only read the 1 star reviews!

No matter how amazing anything is you're looking at if you only read those 1 star reviews you'll likely never buy anything online again.  ::)

It's true, if you were looking at anchors someone would complain it was too heavy  ;)

I do ready the one stars though, and if a consistent theme shows up I move along

jymbee said:
If you really want to save $$ when browsing/shopping on Amazon, just do what I do: only read the 1 star reviews!

No matter how amazing anything is you're looking at if you only read those 1 star reviews you'll likely never buy anything online again.  ::)

You say that.....But I always read the 1 start reviews first....Then I read the others.

Gizmo100 said:
You say that.....But I always read the 1 start reviews first....Then I read the others.

This is how I do it also.  Some of the 1 star ratings only say stuff like "it sucks".  Of course some of the 5 stars say only "it's great".  You have to read enough to be comfortable with your decision.

I love the ones where they tell you how they completely misused the product and then it broke..Well Duh

I've always felt that most of the one star reviews were from people who were unreasonable in their expectations.  I read the 3 star reviews, because I think that they are the most unbiased.  Then I add the percentages of the 4 and 5 star reviews.  For example, if 73% of the reviews are 5 stars, and 14% are 4 star reviews, that gives us 87% really good reviews.  Unless the three star reviews show a recurring problem, I'll probably take the plunge.

HappyWanderer said:
I save a fortune at Amazon by buying locally.

Not always a option............IE..The local lumberyard - If he doesn't have it will get it in 3 days....From Amazon plus markup.

I will try and shop local but if they don't have it in stock....Amazon here I come.

HappyWanderer said:

Would if I could, but around here it's a 20 minute drive even to to get to the small nearest grocery store.  :-\

Amazon was my go to while in Yellowstone, 130 miles to the nearest big choice stores and even then it was a smaller selection.  As to reviews, the 1 stars can usually be entertaining.

Now that we are around the bog city, I try to get local, but some things only seem to be found online, Amazon or elsewhere.

I relied on Amazon to chase me across the country in numerous campgrounds bringing me exactly what I needed.

If it broke or wasn't as described, I used the return feature.

I too plow through the reviews.

One thing to realize is that folks are quicker to complain than to compliment. So it's good to read the highs and lows and the recent ones.

When shopping in person, there is NO one around to ask if they own the product and how has it performed for them? So getting the reviews on Amazon are a huge bonus.

Another nifty thing is that often one can gleam all the necessary info such as size and color etc.

What I like is that I don't have to settle for less than what I desire. If I go to the store and they don't have what I want but they have something close, why settle for that when I can go online and get the exact thing I desire?

For instance  I wanted a heavy duty sewer hose and the store only had bargain thin ones.

Amazon has been a lifesaver. I waited over a year to get my 4 week reservation at Hunting Island.

2 days after arrival my toilet broke beyond repair. Well, I chopped it up some to make it flushable until it was replaced

I was able to order a toilet right away (the exact one I wanted!) from Amazon, have it delivered in 2 days and continue my vacation without leaving the island.

Now that Christmas is here, I have been able to pick out the exact gifts I desire for my loved ones while letting my fingers do the shopping. ;)

One of my neighbors helps me out a lot and he covets my fireplace. He says over and over he wishes he had room for one in his rig and doesn't.

I went on Amazon and found him a small 14 inch fireplace that will fit in his rig nicely and put out 750 or 1500 watts of heat. Amazon has free returns through January 31st for Christmas shoppers so if he decides he doesn't love it, back it goes and he can have a gift certificate.

So wrapped up under his tree is this mysterious box... with his new fireplace! I think he will be plenty surprised since he doesn't have access to Amazon.

When he needs something he asks me to look it up on Amazon for him, which I do. Matter of fact I've done a good bit of shopping for elderly residents here. They are amazed when 2 days later I am knocking at their door with their item.

One lady that was in a ton of pain became curious about me bragging about my mattress warmer. Now she is sleeping pain free too.

Another lady needed dog fencing to let her dog out to do his business since she can't walk him. First we put up two 16 foot sections and she likes it so much, we ordered two more sections to double the area.

I pay for prime to get speedy free shipping and have let folks know I am happy to help out.  ;D

The ones I hate are those 1 star reviews that are completely the reviewers fault.  Such as giving 1 star because they bought the wrong size, type, etc.  You know things like 1 star because this 10 ft water hose is too short.

https://camelcamelcamel.com/

Amazon price tracker, I generally only use this tool for more expensive items but recently had to replace my printer and the trending price tool worked in my favor to the tune of 30 bucks.

There are lots of good reasons to shop at Amazon but for me the best reason is the selection they have. For example, I am currently designing my music room. I want to decorate it up in musical stuff such as a Beatles themed clock for the wall. Go to Amazon and search for 'Beatles Clock' and you get 309 hits. I doubt I could even find a Beatles clock locally. Here is the one I ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Licensed-Picture-Clock-Giftbrit/dp/B078ZTTD4B/ref=sr_1_11_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544528854&sr=8-11-spons&keywords=beatles+clock&psc=1

I save all my old Amazon boxes.

Whenever I clean out a closet I never take all my old clothes to the local charity thrift store.  I just put it in an old Amazon box and leave it on my front porch.  It's gone in a few hours.

I too read mainly the one-star reviews, but am nor rethinking my strategy. Because of the recent scandal (surprised anyone? it seems to be the mainstay of our purchasing these days), I am now also wary of the one-star reviews.

For those that might not be up to date on this scandal, it involves Amazon employees taking bribes from companies that want to increase their standing in the Amazon reviews. Those bad actors went to the pages of their competitors and posted false bad reviews, and of course posted five-star reviews on their own.

I'm now leaning more toward the middle of the road reviews because I am now suspect of both of the extreme reviews.

HappyWanderer said:

I used to shop local. Been kicked out of most all local stores. They frown on me shopping in my underwear and barefoot. Amazon don?t care if i?m Nekked. And I can shop sittin on the toilet. I don?t think Walmart cares what attire you wear either.

I try not to shop local. Too many local stores will not accept returns with any grace and style. You bought it you are stuck with it. Amazon has amazing an return policy.

Back
Top Bottom