Sure-Trac vs PJ utility trailers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axrkanbrd

Hi folks,

This isn't about RVs, but I've had trouble finding a suitable place to post. I'm in the market for a single axle utility trailer for various residential hauling. I've tentatively narrowed it down to the Sure-Trac tube top utility and the PJ U7 in 6x10. PJ seems to have a more stout frame (bigger tongue that extends to the axle, for instance), but the Sure-Trac has a structural 2" square tube upper rail. Sure-Trac seems to have a beefier gate latch and comes with a welded spare tire mount, while the PJ comes with one that uses one of the precious stake pockets, although the PJ rail system makes it easy to add tiedown points in more places. Both have fold-flat gates, and both have crummy powdercoat. There's a $200 cost differential in favor of Sure-Trac.

Anyone here have experience with these brands care to weigh in on quality or longevity?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Not your model but I own a Suretrack trailer, have had it for 5 years. I like it a lot, no problems. I added tiedown rings, 4 down each side in the floor. I also cleaned and painted the frame with some top quality rustoleum. That powdercoat crap the builders use is just that, crap.
I knew up front that I would be doing this.

Not your model but I own a Suretrack trailer, have had it for 5 years. I like it a lot, no problems. I added tiedown rings, 4 down each side in the floor. I also cleaned and painted the frame with some top quality rustoleum. That powdercoat crap the builders use is just that, crap.
I knew up front that I would be doing this.
Yep, I figure Wool Wax will be needed to keep it from rusting. Did you use the flush-mount style?

I had a look at the PJ trailers in person. It's a very beefy design, full C-channel frame and 4" C-channel tongue. The front stake pockets, which I assume would be the primary front tie-downs, are set back 3 feet from the front corners, and there's no place to mount the spare without blocking access to the stake pockets. I had to push hard on the gate to get a gate pin out because the gate or sides were tweaked. The spring assist on the gate doesn't do much above horizontal. The Sure-Trac isn't as heavy-duty but seemed to have better fit and finish.

Please don't take this wrong, but for "for various residential hauling", I think you are over analyzing this.

I have a 5x10 "lawn service type" trailer I bought from the son of a neighbor many years ago (May 7, 2005 actually, I just looked). It was a basic trailer with a 2x6 wood floor and flat black paint, a mostly angle iron frame. I have used that trailer for hauling rock (one time way, way, beyond the capacity of the trailer and truck), I haul my rather heavy zero turn mower, I have hauled a vertical 7½ hp/80 gal air compressor on a pallet (suitably strapped to not fall over), I use it around the yard picking up limbs and such, pulling it with a hitch and ball I added to the zero turn), and it has done the job respectably. It even followed the Ranger all the way to Sandusky Ohio from the south side of Atlanta to pick up a 12ft high, 12 ft wide portable gantry crane weighing about 1000 lb total.

The previous owner, an attorney had used it to haul bicycles behind his SUV, with special mounts screwed into the floor, and it was sitting here at his parents house and I had borrowed it on a number of occasions and he just suggested I buy it. With him being an attorney, I received a bill of sale that looked more like a property deed than a basic bill of sale for a $600 trailer.

In May of 2020, while on "high risk pay protection" due to covid and my age, I went and bought treated lumber for the bed and ordered stainless carriage bolts and nuts, and then stripped it and took it to a local company that sandblasted it and repainted it. While the original lights worked, I replaced the entire light system with new wires and new LED lights. The DOT tape is not holding up however, the quality of DOT tape varies greatly and I will have to find some that is better.

1652331389299.jpeg

1652331752184.jpeg

If you are math challenged, that is 5200 lbs of M10, which is quite fine up to 3/8 inch.

As it has 15 inch rims on it, and needed new tires, I took the 2007 GY Marathon spare off my Bigfoot and installed it. The other tire was the only remaining acceptable Hercules tire from the same Bigfoot (all 5 got replaced with GY Endurance on the Bigfoot)

Charles

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom