Surge brakes versus electric brakes on tow dolly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

irvsiegel

? ?I'm trying to learn about tow dollys and since I'm quite new to this I need an education regarding the pros/cons of surge brakes versus electric brakes. Thanks in advance!

Irv

Hi Irv,

I'm no expert but I would think electric brakes would apply a much more consistent braking application than surge brakes. When adjusted properly I know electric brakes are virtually undetectable.

Well, when it comes to consistent braking action I don't know that electric have anything over surge.

HOWEVER that is not the only issue.. .As I drive across Nebraska on I-80 while noticeing a fine mist and reading the temperature at the front of the rig off it's built in sensor (33 degrees F)

A good and proper electric braking system gives the DRIVER full control of the towed's brakes.  You can apply them independent of the MH brakes, and you can disable them (or as good as disable them) if you need to    And you may well need to under the conditions above because a sliding tire has no traction and may try to pull ahead of your motor home thus messing up your nice new RV Underskirt and letting damage happen to your towed (OK, so now you know why I was in NE, Pender NE, where the OX turns BLUE)

(At least part of the reason)

And, yes, when it comes to driving I am a control freek.  Control good, no control not good  And with surge brakes,, You have no control, it's all up to the hardware

Irv,

I've been towing a surge brake dolly for 3 years with 3 motorhomes.  Over 35K miles I've had zero problems.  I hook it up and forget it, knowing that if the tongue of the dolly in coming forward on the ball the surge brake will be applied.  The harder I brake the harder it brakes.  I've been in ice and snow twice with no problems.  I've had it in the Rockies, Smokies and Appalachian mountains -- no problems.  I don't know anything about electric braking systems. 

SunDawg

Oh, I think I forgot, When I hit the brakes on my Motor home/towed combo  EVERY WHEEL HAS BRAKES. 

With a dolly you still have 2 wheels free

However now you have heard from both sides.  So you are now either

1: More confused then ever or
2: Better prepared to make a choice

And no matter which way you choose.  I think you are going to be happy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back