Surge Protector Hard wired VS Portable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BadPennyKenny

I’d love to hear some Surge Protector advice and experience; I am in the process of upgrading my electrical system from 30 AMP to 50 AMP and I was considering a hardwired surge protector as part of the install. I have seen mixed reviews on the two I narrowed it down to my #1 choice is the Surge Guard 35550 Hardwired Model - 50 Amp. The biggest complaint I’ve seen on this is false readings when hooking into 30 AMP service where 50 Is not available as well as repeated ground faults and continually dropping power to coach for no reason.

I’m thinking I might be better off just using the portable hook up?

I think The majority of the members here would probably tell you to go with the Progressive Industries

I installed a hardwired Progressive 30 amp in my motor home. Did a real jam up installation in my opinion and I really liked the remote display that I mounted next to the panel with tank levels, pump switch, etc. The hardwired Progressive has a replaceable surge protector board and is a well made unit. The downside to a hardwired unit is in case of failure you have no way to get power. Progressive is the only brand that reports the cycles/Hz of power. The others may monitor the cycles, but they are not clear on that and they certainly do not report it. Also, if you sell the RV there goes your $$$ and you gotta buy another one.

While I have not yet, I will be buying a portable unit this time around, and I have pretty well settled on the Hughes as it is the only portable that has a user replaceable surge protector circuit board, and has the Bluetooth and app for your phone or tablet, and RV Whisper works with it if you are wanting an integrated, all in one app for power, LP (Mopeka), tank sensors (See Level), etc. For me the downside of the Hughes is being made in China.

This way I will not be throwing away $$$ if I sell in the future.

My entire post from about two weeks ago on this same subject including pics of my installation. Surge protector /EMS recommendation

Entire thread.... Surge protector /EMS recommendation

Charles

ems-hw30-installation-jpg.145228

ems-hw30-remote-installation-jpg.145229

Last edited:
I have seen mixed reviews on the two I narrowed it down to my #1 choice is the Surge Guard 35550 Hardwired Model - 50 Amp. The biggest complaint I’ve seen on this is false readings when hooking into 30 AMP service where 50 Is not available as well as repeated ground faults and continually dropping power to coach for no reason.
Why would you want a unit that has a reputation for issues such as you describe above? Surge Guard is owned by Southwire and their home office is located only a few miles from me, but after looking at their products (see the thread I linked to above as I have posted links to the features charts for all three brands) they are the least desirable of the three.

Charles

I did a TRC/Southwire mostly due to price (i'd have rather done Progressive

Another thing I did is "Convert" the HW to a Plug in sort of (In the past I had a portable and I removed the plug and outlet and hooked them to the HW. I wanted the HW for... other reasons. I'd already installed a Hughes Autoformer so I pulled the RV plug from the autoformer and put the surge guard there... That way if I was on an Anemic site the Hughes fixed it before the Surge Guard shut me down.)

Hardwired disadvantage (usually mine was the exception) you have to hard wire it. Not an easy task as they wires are heavy (At least 50s are)

Advantage. One and done. You never forget it and wish later you had not. Also it does not grow legs like a portable can and walk off on you.

Do get the remote display, it's optional.

Several times the Remote displayed info that was "Diagnostic" in nature by the way.

Back
Top Bottom