Surge Protector use for 15 or 20 Amp hookup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nash22Hman

First of all I want to say hello and thank you all for making this forum a great place for us newbies to learn form all of your experiences.

My wife and I bought a 22' TT last August.  We are looking forward to her retirement this spring so we can put some miles on the tires.  Fortunately, we live in beautiful northwestern California with lots of camping around and this allowed us to get away a few times before the wet weather set in.  I have been lurking here almost since we bought our trailer and have learned so much, so thank you again.

After reading all the posts about surge protectors that I could find, I have decided to go with a  Progressive EMS-PT 30C.  Almost all of those posts were about when one is plugged into a 30 or 50 amp service at the pedestal at a campground.  My question is, would it be advisable to use your surge protector when plugged into a regular 20 or 15 amp outlet?  It makes sense to me that you would want to adapt it down and protect yourself but I'm not sure if it is necessary.

Thanks, Dick

Welcome to the forum Dick.
You could get a power surge through a 15 Amp outlet just as a 50 Amp outlet. To be honest, I don't use mine when I'm at home plugged into a 15 Amp outlet but I should. I always use it else ware.

15/20/30 or 50 amp, matters not save for which adapter you use in front of the Surge Protector... The issues of low voltage or high voltage (primary issues) are the same.. With one exception.  On some outlets that LOOK like 30 amp well. the voltage is wrong and will fry your RV without protection.. Though I have seen a 20 amp outlet wired with 240 volts.. Just one, and I'm 65..  It was a special case. 

But you can still get low voltage, in fact it's more common on lighter wiring.

Thanks Rene and John.  That just reaffirms my thinking.  In reading all the posts on surge protectors I have never seen any discussion of using one on anything but 30 and 50 amp hookups.

Yes, it will work and should be used no matter what size receptacle you are plugged into,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom