Surge protectors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steveblonde

In 40 yrs of rving i have never used a surge protector. The first 10 yrs dont really count because a had a pop up tent trailer which was really a bed on wheels lol. No fridge stove bathroom nothing lol.
Which brings me to now, im looking at surge protectors, recommendations? Also would i have to buy 2? A 30amp and a 50amp? Because not everyone has 50amp service

You would buy the max for your unit, 50 or 30. Then you use an adaptor to scale down at the post. The protector will handle it.

As far as which to buy, go with the best you can afford. It's a one-time purchase. Surges are not that common, look instead for one that also checks for things like low voltage (more common) and miswired shore connections. Personally, I like (and use) the Progressive brand, but there are other good ones out there.

You would buy the max for your unit, 50 or 30. Then you use an adaptor to scale down at the post. The protector will handle it.

As far as which to buy, go with the best you can afford. It's a one-time purchase. Surges are not that common, look instead for one that also checks for things like low voltage (more common) and miswired shore connections. Personally, I like (and use) the Progressive brand, but there are other good ones out there.
Thats what i figured but looking i could not see a 30amp adapter but its $600 canadian something cheaper please

You buy only the surge protector that fits your RV
30 amp RV 30 amp Protector
50 amp RV 50 amp protector
I recommend a hard wired unit with a remote.. WHY
Well two primary reasons
1: You never forget it
2: It does not walk off (Thief never sees it)

The 50 amp unit works fine when you plug into 30 amps with an adapter

In my case... I did some weird stuff.. First I "Converted" a hard wired unit to plug in (Added male and female pigtails) and then the hook up was

Shore----Hughes autoformer----Surge Guard---_Auto transfer switch---RV

I don't really need it with the ONAN as if the ONAN is out of "spec' the on board comptuer (part of the generator) shuts it down. (Some protables you seriously need them).

And being after the Hughes. low supply side voltage did not bother it either. Other faults it found several and assisted in diagnosis.

The reason I converted to a plug in... Read about installing a Hughes Autoformer.. Yup it plugged into the hughes and the cord that USED to plug in there into the surge protected outlet.

Hi steveblonde and all,

Our first trip we took, I stayed at a campground where the surge protector probably saved my unit from damage. I had both surge and low voltage during the month I stayed there. Wondering how you got by for 30 years with out one. Fry your electronics in your unit and that surge protector will pay for itself ten times over!!

We have a 30 amp Progressive unit and I have been very happy with that!

Amazon Canada has the following from Progressive Industries

Listed at $184 which I assume is Canadian $

Model SSP-50XL, so check to see if it has same functionality, or functionality you want, as the regular portable unit EMS-PT50X. You get what you pay for.

I wouldn't/don't worry about theft - thousands of people use the portable without problems.

Linda

Any 50A/30A shore cord adapter works. The protector just measures volts and polarity on the shore power path; it doesn't care what the plug looks.

You can get cheaper surge protectors, e.g. the SSP-50XL, but you lose the active voltage watchdog function and the digital display of volts and amps. In other words, less overall protection and status info. The cheaper units do a one-time polarity and voltage test when you plug in

Hi Linda and all,

I have a portable unit and my solution is to plug it into the RV's line, then I use my extension to plug into the campground power. That way the unit is locked into my compartment. Only a few cases where I have had to put it outside the RV.

I would go with the 50 amp no matter what your RV is that wAy if you trade up to a 50 amp you’ll be all set up. Also , so I’m told is that because there are a lot more 30 amp RV’s than 50 amps so that receptacle gets used more and some of the contacts could be worn to a point that arching could occur. Just get the necessary adapters

Amazon Canada has the following from Progressive Industries

Listed at $184 which I assume is Canadian $

Model SSP-50XL, so check to see if it has same functionality, or functionality you want, as the regular portable unit EMS-PT50X. You get what you pay for.

I wouldn't/don't worry about theft - thousands of people use the portable without problems.

Linda
Much more my style thank you. I see them all the time so i dont think theft would be an issue. And really the more basic the better, im not very electric savvy. Scares the crap out of me after getting zapped pluging in a tv in england as a kid where its 220v threw me clear across the room 😆

Just ordered it ty for your help

Last edited:
Much more my style thank you. I see them all the time so i dont think theft would be an issue. And really the more basic the better, im not very electric savvy. Scares the crap out of me after getting zapped pluging in a tv in england as a kid where its 220v threw me clear across the room 😆

Just ordered it ty for your help
Reminds me when I was a kid fixing communications. A small police department ran their office in a trailer on a hill with no lightning rod.

They are really different products. The SSP is just a surge protector. If lightning strikes it'll protect against that and that's all.
With the EMS you get that plus monitoring of high voltage, low voltage, open ground and neutral, high/low frequency. If any of these is detected, the EMS will disconnect the power until it detects power is okay again.
I have the portable EMS . You can lock it to the pedestal by putting a padlock on the breaker box or you can use a cable lock. However, I don't lock mine anymore as I have never heard of one being stolen.
Hughes is now advertising a similar product.

I have worked in the power quality business for many years. There is a lot of misinformation running around on surge suppressors. The first thing is if units use joules as their ratings as their barometer of measurements or the magical warranty, it is just marketing. Real equipment uses the current Jan 2021 UL 1449 rating system. If there isn't a UL 1449 listed on the equipment, I would never purchase it.
These are testing methods of the equipment that must meet fire, safety, and PERFORMANCE.

Be Prepared- There are many different UL ratings. But they are for safety, Not performance. The Number is 1449!

Go here and learn about your investment.

Surge Protective Device Testing and Certification Services

The best "Surge Protectors" Well I divide them into two classes

The cheap ones are Spike supressors.. a true Surge (Which runs more than say 1/50th of a second) can do them serious damage (Think July 4th fireworks display.. Sounds like firecrackers going off as the MOV's blow up... Yes I've been there) Plug one into a 30 amp 240 volt outlet and you will likely be there too.

The More expensive ones (normally 200 dollars up for 50 amp) monitor voltage. if you make the mistake (Which many have made) above it will tell you Hey Dummy, that's a 240 volt outlet or words to that effect (Error message) and protect your RV..

Lilkewise if the voltage goes low it really tears up things like you air conditioner compressor, about a kilobuck to replace (Slightly rounded) by shutting you off.

They monitor and report wiring faults like open neutral, open ground, reverse polarity though I have to say they are not always correct on which issue it is.. IN one year mine found 3 park side issues. and one local issue.

This isn't a reply, but an additional question for clarification. We have a 30A RV. We just moved to a new campground (seasonal site) and were put on a 50A site. We haven't been able to hook up yet because we don't have an adapter and we only have a 30A surge protector (not an EMS). We are looking to upgrade the protection, so in addition to a receptacle adapter (50 to 30) we want a portable EMS. If the goal is to protect the trailer electronics, do you protect up to the capacity of the supply line (50A in this case) or to the maximum capacity of the RV's system (the 30A draw) to protect against a higher surge from the line capacity?

This isn't a reply, but an additional question for clarification. We have a 30A RV. We just moved to a new campground (seasonal site) and were put on a 50A site. We haven't been able to hook up yet because we don't have an adapter and we only have a 30A surge protector (not an EMS). We are looking to upgrade the protection, so in addition to a receptacle adapter (50 to 30) we want a portable EMS. If the goal is to protect the trailer electronics, do you protect up to the capacity of the supply line (50A in this case) or to the maximum capacity of the RV's system (the 30A draw) to protect against a higher surge from the line capacity?
I would protect up to the capacity of the trailer... 30A.

I was a bit financially embarrassed after I purchased my TT. But, I did find a Camco surge protector at a much lower price ($280) with the same features as a Progressive Industries.

Back
Top Bottom