Sync software?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tvman44

I am looking for some back up software to sync folders from my HDD to a jump drive, I have been using SyncToy free from MS but when I try to use it on 2 different computers it dumps some files I want to keep.  I like to sync my desktop computer to a jump drive then sync my laptop from the jump drive.  Looking for any suggestion, as always free is better if it does the job properly. :)

I have been backing up to a jump drive for years with Good Sync. It is not free but it works and it is easy to use.

http://www.goodsync.com/

Your topic says backup but you ask about syncing.  They are different procedures with different results.  Which do you want to do?

Ned is correct. Syncing and backups are different birds. Good Sync does both backups and syncing. I use a jump drive to back up my hard drive by only syncing in one direction.

Guess I should have said Sync software!
I want to sync my laptop and my desktop and a jump drive.
What I have been doing is syncing my desktop to a jump drive then when we leave on a trip I sync my laptop from my jump drive, then when we return home I reverse the procedure, but I also rely on the jump drive as a sort of backup.

when we leave on a trip I sync my laptop from my jump drive, then when we return home I reverse the procedure, but I also rely on the jump drive as a sort of backup.

That's pretty much what I do, though the computer in the coach is permanent there and is on the same wireless lan as my house desktop. Every auto sync I have tried has ended up being less-than-perfect for one reason or another.  I have the important stuff organized into a small number of folders that I can copy just as well as sync (and thus have a back-up as well) and occasionally copy or sync the entire My Documents as well. organize things.

USB drives are large enough and fast enough that the choice of sync vs copy is no longer a big deal. Choose whatever is operationally convenient for you.

Just looking for a better sync software as Synctoy messes up occasionally.  I run XP Home on the desk top and 7 on the laptop.

I had the same issue with Synctoy and gave up on it. An unreliable sync is worse than none.

I've used Acronis True Image, which can do both complete and differential back-ups and any disk or folder(s) you choose, but that seemed a bit of overkill for what I needed. When I realized that everything important that changes regularly is in 4 folders with My Documents (my email stuff, password vault, favorites, and a rolodex-like application, I just started copying those and forgot about a sync tool. Then periodically I copy the whole My Docs folder to the USB drive and onto the other system.

Ned, do you use either one of these?  I looking harder at Beyond compare.

I use both for different purposes.  I use Syncback SE for schedules backups and mirrors during the night and use BC for manual operations.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom