Take-along inflatable boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Do you have an inflatable boat that you take along in your RV? Which make/model? Do you also take along a small motor, or do you row it? Where have you been able to use the boat? Do you find campgrounds close to lakes or streams?

We carry along a blow up boat.  It is an Achilles 9 foot boat with a 3 horse power engine.  The criteria for our purchase was that it had to be light enough in it's rolled up form  that Terry and I  could lift it on top of our SUV.  (A Grand Vitara at the time.)  We struggled in many a  store parking lot  with that feature as  I had no intention of lifting weights to get  into shape for this boat so we stuck to the  9 foot length.  It also had to fit into one of our bays.  It has a blow up bottom as well and is very secure. Easy to inflate.

Since then we have purchased  wheels that attach to the back of the boat and it can now  be pulled a short distance to launch.  Say from the campsite to the boat launch.  Terry thinks a 5 or 9 horse power engine would be better.  It is a comfy little boat.  We have launched it  with the big boats and we seem to catch as few fish  or as many as the big boats. We do watch weather though and get off the lakes if it looks like a storm comes up as we can't go very fast.  But this is a beauty of fishing. You have to take your time.  I especially like motoring upriver  then turning off the engine  and letting the current take us downstream.  It's one of my favorite Terry toys.
Betty

Thanks for sharing that Betty. Achilles makes a good inflatable boat and taking one along in the RV sure expands the recreation possibilities.

More horsepower is almost always better, but too large a motor can make the boat unstable &/or exceed the rated HP for the boat. A larger engine also translates into more weight, both for the coach and for the person who has to mount the motor on the boat. The 8hp Mercury outboard on my prior inflatable (and its 10hp cousin) weighed 70 lbs and, since you can no longer buy a 2 cycle engine in California, the 4 cycle equivalent is at least 20 lbs heavier. That should help tone up Terry's muscles.

It has a blow up bottom as well

It's called an inflatable keel, but we knew what you meant  ;D

The wheels are a great idea and must make launching and retrieval a breeze. Presumably you can detach them easily for storage (?)

...we seem to catch as few fish or as many as the big boats.

LOL that just goes to show that boat size has nothing to do with fishing skills.

BTW who gets to blow it up, or do you use an electric pump?

We lugged a 12 foot Eagle around for years when the kids were small. That was in the days before toads and all I can remember were two-three trips to the water with boat, floorboards, lifevests,paddles, trolling motor, AND battery! What was worse was lugging the *#^%*#* battery back (up) to the m/h after a long day to recharge it overnight.

Lived in Illinois then and that inflatable saw the Atlantic, Gulf, Great Lakes and everything in between. Was a family favorite until the girls turned 16- then I had to tow an 18' I/O around so they could chase boys all over the lake (And catch them).

Makes me realize how little we depended on a car when we were camping.

LOL Jeff, brings back memories. And yes, those floorboards sure made it that much more to lug, but they helped the butt when bouncing around on wakes  ;D

Tom said:
Do you have an inflatable boat that you take along in your RV? Which make/model? Do you also take along a small motor, or do you row it? Where have you been able to use the boat? Do you find campgrounds close to lakes or streams?

We have a Sea Eagle inflatable kayak that carries 2 people, but could be paddled by one person.  We have used it on lakes and in the Florida Keys. It is supposed to be able to handle up the Class III whitewater, but we haven't put it to the test yet.

Jeannine

We have a 11' eagle. I think 9 ft would of been better for us to handle. We have a 3 hp electric motor.  5 or 6 hp would be better. Da*m battery weights the most. We lift it on the bed of the p u and drive to the boat launch. Slam on the breaks and it launches itself.....Just kidding.

Barb

Barb,

What size battery do you use in the Sea Eagle?

Tom

>>That should help tone up Terry's muscles.<<

All my engines are 2 cycle...I use a 9.9 hp on while in Idaho even though it rated for only 8 hp.? With only one person in it you have to be careful on acceleration or you could flip it.<G> It is 9'6" not 9'.

Terry
At Clark Fork, ID

Thanks for clarification Terry. I guess I'm too gun shy to use a motor above the rated size for the boat - concerns over liability, insurance, instability, etc. My old 8hp Merc was originally on a 8'6" inflatable rated for 8hp max. The only difference between the 8hp and 9.9hp Merc at that time was carburation, and I wondered if I should have bought the 9.9hp and just changed the decal. But I was being ultra conservative. When I transferred it to a 10' something Avon RIB rated for higher hp, I was wishing I'd had the 9.9hp, especially when I had 4 people on board  :).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom