Taking apart a laptop screen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

I took my Dell Inspiron 5000e (4-5 years oldnow) in for repair about 8 months ago.  The screen hinge points were REALLY loss.  The tech where I took it said the hinge screws were almost completely backed out on the right side and were loss on the left side.  Well he did TIGHTEN them up.  The result has been that the magnesium outer cover is now cracking at the right hinge.  I was going to take it apart myself before I took it in but could not quite figure how to pop it apart.  No guts, no glory.  I now want to take it apart myself and see if I can repair/patch the corner.  Anyone know how to take the cover sides apart??  It does look like they "just" pry/pop apart but I am not 100% sure.  I was concerned before that I might snap a tab or two.  My concern level now is lower. :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Anyone been there? ??? ???

Len & Jo,

Please pass on what ever you find out as I have a 5000E too!!  Great machine but getting a bit dated now.  Wish I had an on board DVD/CD writer!  G

len & jo  Also should you find this can be done.  Please post  We would like to find an older laptop with good screen and swap out the ours old one, IThe computer is good but screen is bad.  Would then give to grand kids.  Thanks for any info you might be able to share.

Dell supplies the manuels online at their site, but a quick search at Google turned up this one;

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/10139/dell_Dell%20Inspiron%205000%20Series.html

Parts for dells are all over EBAY.

Hope this helps

Usually there is a small rectangular piece just above the keyboard that snaps into place and can be pried off. Under that you will find screws on either end to release the case sides and hinge ends. Not sure if this pertains to your particular model, but most mfg's. use this. Under this panel you'll also find the screws for removing the keyboard - should you feel the urge ;D 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom