Taking Factory Delivery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeaniney

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions about taking factory delivery as opposed to buying from a dealer?  Pros Cons?  Or does it depend on what factory?  We're leaning towards Country Coach but still in the decision making process.

Oh, I think you should tease Smokey into a reply ;D.

Ciao,

Doug

Factory delivery is definitely the way to go. They assign tech(s) to you for several days to ensure you are happy with the coach before you drive away. You'll still buy from a dealer, but take delivery yourself at the factory rather than the RV being driven to the dealership and you taking delivery there.

>>Does anyone have any comments or suggestions about taking factory delivery as opposed to buying from a dealer? <<

if you have a choice always take factory delivery....Stay around the area for a week or two, using full hookups, dry camping & putting miles on the engine, have a service date scheduled to repair any problems.? I would take delivery during Jan-Mar as Country Coach is less busy & it rains about every day so it is a good test for any leaks.<G>

Terry
At Yuma, AZ

jeaniney said:
Does anyone have any comments or suggestions about taking factory delivery as opposed to buying from a dealer?? Pros Cons?? Or does it depend on what factory?? We're leaning towards Country Coach but still in the decision making process.

I would highly recommend Factory delivery and after delivery use the factory service whenever poassible.

but.....when you deliver from the factory, do you get the factory price or the dealer price minus destination charges?  I think a factory deliver would be way more economical and seeing as these people build it, they know all the ends and outs that a dealership might not.  Plus it would be a nice trip----right!
Connie

Connie

Even if you take factory delivery, you are still buying from a dealer. Someone else might be able to answer if the delivery charge is dropped (or not added), but I would assume so. However, there's an additional charge for factory delivery, something like $750 or more, which presumably helps offset the cost of the tech(s).

In reality, "factory delivery" means delivery at the factory service center, which may or may not be co-located with the factory. In the case of Monaco, their service center is located 10 miles north of the factory, in another town. The service techs aren't factory workers, although many of them were at one time.

I feel its more of a function of the specific manufacturer.  In my case with Newmar I wanted to take factory delivery as I wanted to be out in Indiana most of the summer anyway.

Newmar has terrific factory service facilities and outstanding people but they don't want to deal with factory delivery. You will figure this out when you compare the cost of taking factory delivery to paying the built in delivery cost that the dealer charges on the invoice.

In my case they even after the unit was built they could not schedule my factory checkout and delivery for some time and its was both cost and time advantage to get it from the dealer on the west coast.

Newmars policy has been cussed and discussed at length on the Newmar groups but they obivously feel its better for them to have the dealer deal with all the initial problems and concentrate on factory service of mature units.

Other manufacturers may have different strategies so investigate  with the specfic builder and find out some experiences from individuals thathave done it both ways. That is easy with all the specific newsgroups around for each make.

Thanks Bob. I didn't realize that was Newmar's policy.

FWIW when we looked at the Newmar Essex a couple of months ago I specifically asked the salesman if we could get factory delivery. He didn't know, but asked the owner of the dealership who said "yes, it can be arranged".

jeaniney said:
Does anyone have any comments or suggestions about taking factory delivery as opposed to buying from a dealer?  Pros Cons?  Or does it depend on what factory?  We're leaning towards Country Coach but still in the decision making process.

We have an American Coach and just left the service center where factory deliveries are done. There were at least 3 coaches being prepared for delivery. They have a special team of technicians that do all the prep on the units and they do a super job. One guy told me he took factory delivery and had a 3 day checkout on the rig. You WILL NOT get that kind of service from a dealer. At the service center they don't let you go until you are 100% happy. I didn't take factory delivery with ours since it was built in December and I didn't want to be in Indiana at that time of year.  ;D I would do it if the timing was right.

There usually is a charge for factory delivery which replaces the delivery charge to the dealer. It might be higher but it's worth it!

Since we took delivery of our American Eagle at a pre-rally to a FMCA rally the coach was prepped at American Coach Service and delivered directly to the rally site.  We were very satisfied with the way the coach was delivered.  If we were to ever get another we would do the Factory delivery.

To;  Connie at IZZYBBAR,

We have taken factory delivery 4 times and would NEVER buy a new coach unless the manufacturer offered factory delivery.  First, let me say, DO NOT quibble about destination charges and the extra cost of factory delivery because you will be so much more satisfied and happy with your new coach after factory delivery.  For your own happiness take factory delivery. 

Here is how it works at Monaco.  The extra cost is $1,500.00 (best money we ever spent).  The destination charge has to be handled by your dealer.  When you arrive at the factory you are assigned your own factory tech and you are parked at the main service facility for 3-4 days during which you go over everything, fix if necessary, drive, and learn.  It is so nice that if a part or subsystem is not working PERFECTLY your tech gets a new part and replaces it immediately as opposed to many trips to a dealer who then has to order a part and you have to come back later.

If you're questioning whether or not to take factory delivery,  take it for your own well being, i.e., lack of frustration and mental anguish as well as ending up with a MUCH MUCH better new coach.

JerryF

Factory delivery is another thing that would influence a purchase of a new coach.  Any manufacturer that does not provide the option for factory delivery would not even be considered when buying a new coach.

Back
Top Bottom