Taking The Plunge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YLBlues

Hi,

About 18 months ago I spent several months researching the various message boards in the forum, in preparation for our first motorhome purchase.  We took the recommendations from many of you, and we rented.  As we were buying a new house and devoting a tone of time to that, the motorhome dream was put on hold.

A few weeks ago we dusted the dream off and went to view more floor plans.  Our must haves were diesel, plenty of galley counter space, and a strong desire for a king bed.  We were firm on buying used, not new.  Since we had looked at quite a few units before, we also had narrowed down the ?nice to have? items that we wanted, but that weren?t deal breakers.

One of our trips was to a large dealer about 30 miles from us.  We looked at several and one in particular was pretty close to checking all the boxes.  My wife asked if there were any others to see, and there were a couple.  As we were walking up to the Tiffin, I was thinking there was no way that was going to be the one, because it was probably out of our range.  It met the must haves and also had a stackable washer and dryer, dishwasher, vacuum system, solar battery charger, satellite TV..... more than we expected.  When the sales guy was talking to me, the wife was behind him and giving me the thumbs up.  When we had a chance to talk, she said ?I like this one? and that was it.  The price had been discounted, but was still about $20K higher than our desired budget amount.  We made a low offer and stipulated a list of things that we wanted replaced or fixed.  They agreed to all, except replacing the tires that had about 2 years left on the age recommendation.

We hired an inspector, who I believe did a great job.  I have to say though, the dealer had gone through the unit themselves and had listed almost everything the inspector found as needing to be corrected.  The one big item the inspector pressed for was there was a crack about the size of a quarter on the passenger side of the windshield.  He voiced his concern, I pressed a bit, and the sales manager and a tech looked at it.  The sales manager said though it had been repaired, it did show the crack extending beyond the repair, so it will be replaced.

We are awaiting completion of the corrections before taking delivery, and looking forward to many adventures.  Thank you to all the experienced people here for your advice.  Anything can still happen, but I feel we were much better prepared for this purchase because of what we learned from you.

You did everything just right. Good luck with your soon be purchase. Make sure you give us pictures when you get this jewel home. Safe travels.

Thanks Rene and Arch.

I will send pictures...should take possession Wednesday.

Our first trip will be about 3-4 miles from home.  The wife identified the place, and we want to just do some familiarization.  She with storage options and what should go where and what is needed.  I?ve already been reading system manuals, but look forward to getting to actually see, touch, and figure out how things work.  There appears to be a more than fair amount of complexity to this coach.

There is definitely a learning curve to these things and it may take you a while to even figure out where the light switches are intended to light!  The light switches aren't always in what you think are the logical places, such as right switch to right light fixture and left switch to left light fixture.  Those are the simple things.  When you get to the more complex things they can be real head scratchers.  The solenoid-relay we recently replaced was in a box hidden inside the rear engine compartment.  Thankfully we know someone who steered us in the right direction because we couldn't SEE it anywhere!  And then there are the changes the previous owner/owners made.  For example, we had an overhead fan installed near the shower.  It was an automatic thermostat with a water sensor to close the cover if it started raining.  Well the shower dampness would make it close when we wanted it open and to make matters worse the switch was just out of reach from the shower without risking a fall and/or injury.  So that switch has been made inoperable which may confuse some future owner but we like it disabled!  This will be true especially of electronics like TVs and DVD players.  We've ditched some of the items that were outdated and replaced them with more modern and more advanced products (think tube TV versus flat screen TV).

I'm glad to see you're reading manuals.  When we got our first diesel pusher we had never owned any diesel vehicle so there was a lot to learn.  I drove the first 1,200 miles while Jerry read manuals to get up to speed as quickly as possible.  He read a lot of the paragraphs to me while I was driving so we learned together and it really paid off because I would remember one aspect of an issue and he would remember another.  As we encountered problems we were able to bounce ideas and memories off one another, and still do today such as that solenoid-relay replacement we just worked on together.  Had you asked me 20 years ago I would have told you I could never learn to read an electrical diagram!

Good luck on the delivery and I hope you both love your new rolling home.  Keep us posted on how it goes.

ArdraF

Picked it up yesterday.  Today was mostly familiarization for me, and cleaning and determining what goes where for my better half.  Tomorrow will be sanitizing fresh water tank and starting to occupy the basement.

Attachments

• 08C5E679-FFA8-4F27-8894-D20F9FC2FFFC.jpeg
    08C5E679-FFA8-4F27-8894-D20F9FC2FFFC.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 673C3F77-191F-4611-A740-92C018DC0C2D.jpeg
    673C3F77-191F-4611-A740-92C018DC0C2D.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 17
Thanks.  It is definitely not new...2008.  We will both get some training driving it, but for now I got it home in traffic a couple days ago and took it to the storage location today, all without hitting anything or running anyone off the road.

Though I tried mightily, there was some rose colored tint in my glasses.  A shade of that has worn off since we took possession two days ago.  I communicated with our sales rep about a few things that were supposed to be replaced (entry door seal, patio awning motor...) but weren?t.  He said those will be addressed, as they were noted in the contract to buy.

The visors/shades in the front that worked well before, somehow do not respond to the switches now,  They go up, but not down.  This could of course be a problem of me not knowing what the heck....should engine be off, on?  Also found a basement door that will not latch and several that are finicky.  This will give me something to do in a campsite.

The biggest concern reared it?s head today.  I saw the gleam of sunshine glancing off moisture Thursday and figured it was condensation, because we had run the generator for the AC most of the day.  When I saw the same gleam early this AM, I knew it couldn?t be condensation from the prior day.  The touch and sniff test said it was diesel fuel.  I found that the hose from the fill port on the driver side was dripping fuel onto the street.  Since the coach is on an incline and tilted a hair toward the driver side....

Threw down some speedy dry and called the mobile RV repair guy my sales guy gave me information for a week ago.  He said this guy was good, and fast.  He had a 5 hour job about 40 miles away, but would call me when done.  The guy did call and showed up at 4 PM on a Friday to check it out.  Looks like there is a split in the line, and he suggests replacing the one on the other side too, due to age and some cracks.  He texted me after 5 PM to say the parts are on order and he?ll get them Monday.  That and the fact it will be less than $400 is good, but I will be talking with the sales guy about this safety issue.  It was revealed because the coach had 1/4 tank of fuel when we were to pick it up and the dealer filled it before we drove off.

The journey begins....

Back
Top Bottom