Taking the Plunge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KodiakRV

My wife and I are taking the plunge into RV-dom.? ?:eek:

We got what we believe is an excellent deal on a new 2006 Gulfstream Ultra Super-C.? We'll probably pick it up next week.

My biggest concern right now is RV insurance.? My home & auto insurance has been with Allstate for 30+ years.? I got a rough quote last week from them of $2,400 per year.? I had not even mentioned that to the guy at the RV dealership, when he said, "Companies like Allstate are going to quote you $2,000 per year, but that's because they don't understand RVs.? A company that deals in RVs all the time will probably be around $800 per year."

This may not be the right place to ask questions, but what do most RVers do?? The RV insurance places I've checked all focus on RV damage and replacement costs.? I'm more concerned with liability issues.? I know that Allstate has the experience in fighting liability claims, but what about these other places?

Thanks for listening!

Try getting a quote from Progressive and see what their rates are. Make sure to specify that you will only be using it weekends and vacations, unless you are planning on immediately going fulltime with it.
My coverage is through my normal carrier, American Family, and they have me rated for occasional use and approximately 4,000 miles per year. My coverage is presently costing around $400 per year.

Woody

I should have pointed out that mine is an older Class A motorhome. 1993 Pace Arrow. I'm sure the Collision and Comprehensive rates will be cheaper for an older one but the liability would be the same I would think.

Woody

I'm not sure what your concern is over liability coverage - none of these companies are anxious to pay liability claims and will fight them to the extent that makes financial sense.

However, if you want to go with a big name insurer, Progressive and The Hartford write real motorhome insurance policies that have unique clauses tailored to RVs and Rving.  Depending on where you live and your choice of coverages, I would expect rates in the $700-$900 range for liability, collision and comp.

We use National Interstate which we obtain through a company-owned agency called Explorer RV. Have been very happy with their service, though we haven't had a claim yet.

Thanks for the responses.? I think I'm going with Progressive.? At ~$880, their quote is $1,500 less per year than Allstate.? That's too much to ignore -- 500 gallons of gas!? ?;D

A tip for those who try their on-line quote system --
Play around with their coverage options and "Recalculate".? I found that specifying 30-150 days per year for pleasure use gave me the same quote as specifying less than 30 days per year.? Also, the "Vacation Liability" coverage of $500,000 was $1 LESS premium than $10,000 coverage.? And $10,000 medical payments per person option was only $3 more than the $2,500 option.

Play around with their coverage options and "Recalculate"

That's good advice whenever you shop for insurance. You can often get a lot more coverage for the same or only  $1-$2 more. And sometimes reducing a coverage a few dollrs can save a lot.  Experiment if online and ask the agent where the price breaks are if talking on the phone or emailing.

Try American Modern, they were excellent to deal with and inexpensive

I did get a quote back from GMAC.  They were $134 more per year than Progressive for substantially less coverage.  I went with Progressive.

RogerW -- Thanks for the recommendation, but I had already gone with Progressive when I read it.  I'll keep them in mind when it comes time to re-evaluate.

Back
Top Bottom