Tanks on 30' travel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carin

Ok I give up.  Why are there 2 different tank positions on my TT?  The one in the front has 2 valves (black water and grey water). The one in the back has 1 valve (grey water). The back one is for the kitchen. Why isn't it connected to the other grey tank?  How the heck do you empty it?  Buy another sewer hose?  Try to find a Y connector and hook them all together?  Or???????
I have the black valve closed and the grey valve open in the front. The one in the back (grey kitchen) is closed because I don't know how to empty it.

I think I need a helpful person to explain the whole process to me. So far I'm winging it.

Carin
2018 Sunset Trail 291RK - 30'
2007 Suburban

We also had two separate gray water tanks and one black tank. One gray was for the kitchen and the other for the shower/bathroom sink. First connect your drain hose to the black water tank and open the valve. When the black is finished, close the black valve and open the gray right there next to it. I never leave my gray open unless doing lots of laundry. You want the gray to rinse the black out with. When the first gray is finished dumping, close the valve, disconnect the drain hose, and reconnect it to the other gray. Open the valve and let that tank drain, shut the valve, and you are done. Yes, it takes a little more time, but that?s what the system is. You only need one hose because there is only one sewer connection. You just have to move the hose when needed.

First, congrats on knowing to keep the black closed!!

The camper manufacturer found it easier to add a second gray tank rather than run the pipe forward to the other tank.

You empty it the same as the other tanks - connect a stinky slinky and let 'er rip!  ;D  (Sorry, couldn't help myself)

Are you permanently parked or traveling?  If permanent, run separate sewer lines to a tee at the sewer connection. 
If traveling, I suggest connecting the hose to the front at full hook up sites.  When the rear gets full, move the hose to the rear, then dump and return hose to the main connection.  At a dump station, use one hose to dump one end, then the other.

Yes, it's a pain!

Thank you for the replies -

If you use one hose - what about cross contamination? If I get a Y - where do I find one?

Presently I'm in a park for a month.

Don't worry about cross contamination, it's all bad.

I guarantee the next RV you buy will have only one sewer connection. That will be the first thing you look at.

And mine is I'll never have a sewer connection under a slideout again. Had that on the second trailer I bought and hated it.   

I have the same setup. I bought the Y- connector at Walmart also i bought 2 of the shortest hoses they have to connect it to both gray tank outlets.

Carin said:
Thank you for the replies -

If you use one hose - what about cross contamination? If I get a Y - where do I find one?

Presently I'm in a park for a month.
If you dump your black water first, the gray will rinse it. Obviously not ?clean? because even gray has food particles and such, but enough to keep it ok. You move the hose between gray dumps, not between black and gray. Yes, it is a bit of a pain, but having two tanks let our 24? box trailer have 80 gallons of gray capacity, something important for us since we prefer dry camping and boondocking. The rig we have now has basically the same capacity for gray, but in a much, much bigger package.

Sewer Y connectors are readily available. Larger RV stores and Walmarts usually have them, and Amazon.com has a good selection. Here are a couple nice ones:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-RhinoFLEX-Connection-Protection-39812/dp/B002OUIXU8/
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-F02-2030-3-Rotating-Wye/dp/B000HDI4HQ/

A separate gray tank for the galley is fairly common in trailers, especially longer ones or rear kitchen models.  It adds gray waste capacity.  The more upscale rigs have the plumbing to connect the secondary tank to the main already in place, while others leave it as an exercise for the owner.  The latter simplifies the plumbing for the factory, with the downside of bit more hassle when dumping.

grashley said:
If traveling, I suggest connecting the hose to the front at full hook up sites.  When the rear gets full, move the hose to the rear, then dump and return hose to the main connection.  At a dump station, use one hose to dump one end, then the other.

Yes, it's a pain!
We also have a 2nd tank for the kitchen. This is the same procedure I follow. Yes, it's a pain...but you get used to it.

Arch Hoagland said:
...I'll never have a sewer connection under a slideout again. Had that on the second trailer I bought and hated it.   
Our 2nd tank outlet was under the slide about 3' behind the primary outlet. Only used it twice before I extended it so they are now right next to each other. It could be worse, though. I met a guy a couple of years ago who had the primary and 2nd outlets about 15' apart. All so the manufacturer could save $5 worth of pipe!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom