Technical problem? More like user problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cuts_up

I was using my gas oven for the first time.  My newly acquired mh is used, and the former owner said they didn't use the oven much.  So I've got it cranked up and the LP alarm goes off.  So I go and reset the alarm.  A minute or 2 later the screeching  goes off.  Sounds like a new problem making that alarm not shut off when I reset it.  Oh well, I'll deal with it when I get home.  The kids are with me now, and dh is at home.  I noticed it was kinda smokey and smelly, so I opened the ceiling vent, turned on the fan, and turned on the fan over the stove.  Everything calmed down.  20 minutes later I checked the cookies and tater tots in the oven, and the oven isn't even on.  It's too hot to stick my hand in and re-light it so I put the food into the toaster oven and life went on.  So I drove home, about a 3 hour drive.  We expected a light freeze that night so I plugged the mh into 110 so we could leave the furnace going.

2 weeks later dh & I took the mh out for an overnighter.  I started having some of the same problems - the alarm that wouldn't go off.  Then it got smokey.  Yes, the oven was on and it was stinking.

Ta-da!!!!!  The original alarm that I heard was not the LP sensor, it was the smoke alarm!  After I cleared the smoke this time the alarm went off.  After I finished with the oven I let it run a little longer.  Now it burns clean and doesn't set off the smoke alarm.  It must have been years since that oven was fired up!
:eek:

While on the subject of ovens,  do yourself a favor if you are having troubles with brning  things on the bottom while using the oven.  Buy yourself an unglazed 16 X 16 floor tile and place in the bottom of the oven.  Works wonders.  JMHO

Thanks.  I placed an old pizza stone in the oven.  This particular stone never seasoned nicely and always sticks, and I was about to put it in the trash before we even bought our mh.  Then I saw a suggestion here about using it in the oven, so I saved it.  I've used the oven twice and haven't burned anything.  But then that first time it make the smoke alarm go off I ended up turning off the gas so the stuff didn't even finish cooking. 

Yeah, my wife uses those cooking stones in the oven in our house quite frequently. That's a good idea for the cheesy little stove in our MH. When I bought the MH used, the stove had never been cleaned. I used some heavy duty oven cleaner with lye, then turned it up full blast for about an hour. There was a thick stream of smoke shooting out of the vent outside. After it cooled down, I just vacuumed the ashes out, and i was like new again.

Shayne said:
While on the subject of ovens,  do yourself a favor if you are having troubles with brning  things on the bottom while using the oven.  Buy yourself an unglazed 16 X 16 floor tile and place in the bottom of the oven.  Works wonders.  JMHO

Shayne - can you elaborate on the purpose of the stone - this is something that I've not heard of before, and am willing to try anything to make the 'almost an oven' more efficient.

Thanx,

Larry

Larry,

The tile is essentially a baking stone and would act as a thermal mass, evening out the heat distribution, so as not to get too much heat in a concentrated area. It would also absorb large variations in heat and release them evenly. It will also brown/crisp the outer layer/crust of whatever is being baked.

This is from a non-chef.

Tom,
This is from a non-chef
Sage words from "He of many thumbs" ;D (just kidding). You may want to think twice about using just about any unglazed floor tile. Many of them contain lead and other not-so-good stuff. Personally, I'd stick to the commercial cooking stones that are certified safe for food use.

Thanks for the advice Karl. My chef doesn't use a tile. FWIW the traditional Welsh equivalent to a baking stone is a "man", made from 3/4" - 1" thick cast iron. Used over coal fires or gas ranges, but obviously not in the microwave  ;D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom