Temporary Towing Mirrors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbfeip

Need advice on towing mirrors for an 06 Dodge Ram 1500.  I've seen the plastic type that slide over the OEM mirrors and are attached with a shim and screw set up, and although they look nice I wonder if the extend far enough out and are stable at speeds.

Any advice on makes, where to buy, and prices/performance would be appreciated.

In my case they do and are stable at speed.  I add a small bungee cord to safety them on to the truck mirror by taking a turn around the screw and then around the stem of the truck mirror.  Used a set for some 10 years.  I got mine at Camping World but have seen them elsewhere.

I found a set for my 2005 Dodge Ram at Cabela's in their Bargain Cave for $29.  The box was beat up but the mirrors made by CPA Custom Auto Mirrors work alright.   These are three piece, the mirror portion, a sliding block and a screw.  Everything is made to fit the Dodge mirror.  The add-on mirrors vibrates a bit but it still allows me to see better.

Is it possible to place a piece or 2 of rubber(Innertube) between the 2 mirrors when attaching them.  Could give it a cushon.  Just a thought.

Thanks Lowell. 

From what I've seen on the net, these are the style I'd like to try out.  I also like the other post suggesting a method to reduce vibration.

The strap on mirrors I purchased don't stick out far enough for my needs.

Has anyone has experience with the temporary style that hang on the outside door with suction cups and strap to the bottom of the door and bottom of the window groove?  Advice on a good place to purchase?

Oh...now I like those!

JC Whitney has the same design for about $82.00.  Probably a Chinese copy, but if they function well....

Don't know if the Chinese copy functions as well or not.  Vibration is the biggest problem in add-on mirrors, so less rigid materials and fasteners could make a big difference in quality.  You might also be able to find McKesh at a discount somewhere - the price on the Hensley site is MSRP. I bought from a dealer for a bit less. Will JCW accept returns if you are unhappy? No restocking fee? I should check - I just ordered something from them myself.

I had McKesh mirrors when we towed big trailers and I know they don't vibrate and the glass stays in and stays clear.

JC Whitney is like Wal-mart.  They'll take anything back!  ;D

The only downside is that you pay the freight both ways.

Back
Top Bottom