tent rooms in quartzsite ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Forget anchors, the ground is like concrete.  It sometimes can be quite windy so I wouldn't recommend a free standing room either.

I used tethers to stabilize my dish on a tripod in QZ. As Ned says, the ground is hard, so I used the kind of anchors that look like a very large nail. A regular hammer doesn't do it, so you'd need a small sledge hammer.

slumbert55 said:
how thick is the stuff and is it like ashfault.

It's just a deep hard crust on the dirt, the result of many months without rain. I have no idea how "thick" it is as I'm not a geologist, but I do know it needs a small sledge hammer and you have to keep hammering all the way in.

Mine are steel. IIRC when I first ran into this I bought some that were essentially pieces of rebar at the QZ flea market, but later changed them for something else. We're not near the coach right now, otherwise I'd snap a photo for you.

Don't know if would work in your application, but I have seen tent venders use buckets of rocks to hold things down. Not at QZ, but other very windy areas of AZ......fyi

Ned said:
.? It sometimes can be quite windy so I wouldn't recommend a free standing room either.
talking about the portable garages or storage inclosers the kind the vendors use they are white and thought it would be good sun screen. on blm land can you use them at your site.if you anchor all four sides and keep closed when real windy they seem to do quite well.

IIRC = if I remember correctly. I have a file of them around here somewhere, just can't put my hand/cursor on it right now.

IF you can anchor it sufficiently, it would work, but the wind can get pretty strong out there.  The desert is more like concrete than asphalt, it doesn't soften in the sun :)  Use your awning for a sun screen but don't leave it out unattended.

(IIRC=If I Recall Correctly)

slumbert55 said:
can you use tent rooms the free standing ones, also do ground anchors work there?

As others have told you, desert ground is hard.  It really is partially cemented by alkalais to a stuff  called caleche.  I have pitched tents in the stuff using a light hand sledge and 6 to 8 inch spikes driven at an angle leaning out from the tent.  The tent guys were looped around the spikes and tightened with a running hitch or a patent toggle.

You are well advised against afternoon winds in the desert.  We never leave an awning unattended and if we were gone from the tent for a long period we collapsed it and weighed it down with rocks.

slumbert55 said:
tom can you tell me where to find aberrations some i know some i don,t  like iirc

Here's a list of those acronyms in our forum library.

Here's a list of emoticons (text used to represent those smiley faces).
[edit]Link update[/edit]

I am told that peak winds in the dessert last January were in the 20mph range.

Felt faster than that to my trained senses

What others have said about rocks, and anchors.

12" spikes will do the job.  Also get washers that the head of the spike won't slip through and as Carl says drive them in at an angle.  When we were riding around in the golf cart last Jan  we saw a few anchored that way.  Good Luck 12" spikes is what they use for RR and landscaping Tye's to hold them together.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom