Texas State Parks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pkstout

We are planning to visit two texas state parks in January, Mustang Island and Balmorhea.  Is anyone familiar with these parks, and have any comments?  Our whole trip will be the southern route from NE Ohio to Chula Vista, CA.  We may stop in Quartzite.  We usually don't boondock and aren't sure how long we can last on one battery. 
Considering buying two new heavy duty batteries.  Any comments?

Join us in QZ if at all possible.  It is a lot of fun and it would be great to meet you.

we spend about 2 weeks in th earea but do use the generator and solar cells to augment the batteries.  If needed, I'm sure you could hool up to sommeone whiel the generator is on to charge your battery.  We have done that in th epast elsewhere so why not QZ!!

Have a good trip south,

I second Jim's invitation for you to join us at the RV Forum Quartzsite rally in January.? Would be great meeting you.? Like Jim said I'm sure someone would let you plug in to charge your battery while their genset is running if needed.

Can't give you much of any info on Mustang Island since I haven't been there, but Balmorhea is a nice place.  Pretty wide open and is the home of a great freshwater spring.  Very popular for swimming and scuba.  It is right off IH 10 and on the road going into Fort Davis and is on the N.E. side of the Davis Mountains.  I would suggest a side trip into Fort Davis for a visit to the old fort, then to Fort Davis State Park which is adjacent to the old fort.  If you have time, then visit McDonald Observatory.  It's a great place.  The road from Fort Davis to McDonald is a little windy, so if you have a toad, that might be the best way to go.  When leave there headed west, it is pretty good road.

Hi--
Mustang Is SP campground is essentially a parking lot. Have spent Christmas there the last six or eight years. Park in campground at night and move to the beach at first light. This is where the Ranger said that most of the few that got stuck in the sand were M/Hs with tag axles---also good idea to turn around (headed back toward CG) before high tide so you can stay out of the soft spots and still stay out of the water.  Last year it snowed. (The first time in a whole lot of years). Can get pretty cold and windy after frontal passage-- nothing between there and Canada but barbed wire fences!!
Regards from Memphis

I can't give you much info on the state park on Mustang Island other than the fact that it seems to stay fairly busy.  We spend January through March up the road a few miles at Pioneer Beach RV Resort.  We have boondocked on the beach for a few days at a time, but I always feel a little uneasy about things like a lack of traction in the soft sand and the water approaching the rig at high tide.  Guess I'm not the risk taker I once was.

We do like Mustang Island because it gets us away from city traffic and into a small town environment for 3 months (we're from Denver) and we enjoy walking the beach 3 miles into Port Aransas for breakfast.  Port A. has some decent places to eat and prices are moderate. 

If you are at all interested in birds, this is a great place.  Taking a tour boat from Port A. to view the whooping cranes is quite an experience, especially if you have a knowledgeable ornithologist as a tour guide. I'd recommend asking about that before  booking a trip.

Have a good trip!
Herm

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom