Thank you for your help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cougar3514v

I want to extend a heartfelt (overdue) thank you to everyone who patiently answered my questions regarding the purchase of our fifth wheel trailer and tow vehicle.  It had been over twenty-eight years since I'd last gone camping in an RV (a rented class-A), and at that time I was thirteen and my father took care of all the details. Therefore, I needed all the help I could get.  In the end we got a used 2005 F-350 crew-cab diesel 4x4 long bed with integrated brake controller and a 2006 Keystone Cougar 309EFS.  We are thrilled with both of them.  If anyone is interested in a picture, I have attached one to this message.  (Modified 03/06/2007: attached file instead of having link to my server.)

We have taken two trips in it so far, one to Gatlinburg, TN (Twin Creek RV Resort) and one to Myrtle Beach, SC (Ocean Lakes Family Campground).  Both trips were great successes and I once again thank you all for your help.  The only problems we've had both pertain to the shower.  My wife is having trouble adapting to life without limitless high-pressure hot water, and we ran into some very hard water in Myrtle Beach.  I don't know what to do about the first problem, and as for the second problem I'm guessing that I'll need to look into a water softener. I've tried to read some of the discussion on the forum about water softeners, but it seems a bit complicated and expensive. 

Thanks again!

-Dave

Attachments

• trk_n_trlr.jpg
    trk_n_trlr.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 9
Dave,

You have a beautiful rig!!  Congratulations and I hope you have many miles/years of enjoyment out of it.

I, too, do not like showers without limitless high pressure hot water.  We have an electric hot water heater with gas booster and I have learned to live without turning the shower on full blast.

Again, congratulations and many safe travels.

D2

Very nice looking unit, Dave. Enjoy every minute you spend in it, even if it's just a nap while it's parked in the driveway. As for the unlimited hot water, there's always the showers at the campgrounds you stay in. And I've found the view out the window to be of much greater worth than a long, hot shower.

It's a beautiful rig, Dave!  Hope you continue participating in the RV Forum, as many folks here have been around for a lot of years.  We are truly a community and we enjoy increasing our circle of friends.

Enjoy your new fifth wheel!

Dave,

Nice looking rig!! I'm sure you will have many enjoyable trips. As far as saving water, just make your love of your life dump the tanks a couple of times. That should resolve the problem. ;D ;D ;D

Jim Dick said:
As far as saving water, just make your love of your life dump the tanks a couple of times. That should resolve the problem.

Yes, it would resolve the problem.  It'd be just me, my son, and my dog camping, which is nice for the occassional fishing trip, but not always.  :D

Have you tried using the internal water pump to boost pressure, even when on city water?  It doesn't solve the "limitless" problem but can improve pressure and flow rate somewhat.

If we had known about the potential problem, we could have recommended a rig with a 10 gallon heater instead of the usual 6, and larger gray water tanks.  It's expensive to retrofit the water heater, though, and usually impossible to change the holding tank size.  20/20 hind-sight [sigh]  :-\

And now you know one of the reasons so many people trade RVs after only a year or two!

Very nice rig!? We just camped in ours for the first time this weekend and my only complaint would also be the lack of water pressure even with input pressure above 40 psi.? I am pretty good at solving problems and comming up with unique solutions so I may have to work on this a little but it may be next to impossible to improve this.? As for the amount of hot water, our 10 gallon tank was great for me.? I took a long shower and never seemed to run out of hot water.? I have an electric heater with propane boost also and it did a great job.? ?I think the flow problem comes mostly from my shower head.? I took it off and the water seems to really flow well from the hose but with the head on it is quite anemic.? It is not clogged but the hole comming out into the area where the holes are is quite small.? I bet this is an attempt to slow water flow to help conserve hot water but I don't care.? I want more flow and I will turn off the water while soaping up etc... I would rather have great flow while rinsing and be smart about when its turned on.

Try looking over your plumbing system and see if you can improve the bottle neck anywhere.

By the way, I did try turning on my pump and it made no difference in my system.? Your results may vary so its worth a try.? I will also point out that my instructions that came with my pump specifically states not to run the pump when hooked to shore water.

FWIW.

Jeff

Jeff,

I will also point out that my instructions that came with my pump specifically states not to run the pump when hooked to shore water.

My understanding is that the pump diaphrams can be damaged if city water is already at a high pressure. Shouldn't be a problem with lower-than-normal incoming water pressure, but don't take that as gospel.

Never seen a water pump diaphram damaged by excess pressure (though can understand how it could happen)

But I've seen hoses and fittings blow apart and flood the rig..... thankfully NOT MY RIG :)

My old trailer had a fresh water system that was more or less proofed against campground pressure peaks

(The entire system consisted of an inlet fitting (3/4 inch hose to 1/2 inch IPF adapter with a trim ring) about 1 inch of 1/2 inch Iron Pipe and a "Sillcock" (The kind of faucet often on the outside of your house) inside the trailer.  Good for a couple hundred pounds of pressure at least)

I will also point out that my instructions that came with my pump specifically states not to run the pump when hooked to shore water.

My understanding is that the pump diaphrams can be damaged if city water is already at a high pressure. Shouldn't be a problem with lower-than-normal incoming water pressure, but don't take that as gospel.

Really? Never heard of such a thing. Doing so is fairly common practice.  And I can't imagine why they would say that, either. The pump is under city pressure whether it's on or off and the pump's pressure sensor will keep it off if the pressure is very high.

Strange that running your pump has no effect at all. It usually helps some, even if the system is flow-limited (most are). And many shower heads , especially those intended for Rvs, have an flow limiter built right in. Look for a reducing ring or set of small holes in the connector to the shower pipe or at either the end of the hose if a hand held type. You may be able to remove it or open it ip, if you want to go that route.

Our water system has a check valve at the pump that prevents backflow to the pump when city water is on. The only way it opens is when the pump pressure exceeds campground pressure.

Gary,

My information came from the service guys at RV Lifestyles in QZ; that's why I said don't take it as gospel. Not having any other affirmative info, I just now called Shurflo tech. supp. and was told that they like to see incoming pressure at no more than 30-40 psi., and that high pressures can damage the diaphrams. I wasn't able to pin him down on what exactly high pressure was, however.

I just now called Shurflo tech. supp. and was told that they like to see incoming pressure at no more than 30-40 psi., and that high pressures can damage the diaphrams. I wasn't able to pin him down on what exactly high pressure was, however.

I can see that high pressure could conceivably damage a diaphragm, but turning the pump switch on or off (per gasser's owner manual) doesn't change that one bit.  The pump is inline with the water system and is under pressure whether it's on or off.

Incoming pressure of 30-40 psi is hopelessly conservative in my book and totally unrealistic. Most community water systems operate in the 40-50 psi range and folks tend to complain if it is much less. Well pumps of course are all over the map.

Back
Top Bottom