Thanks for the message

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

Jim and all
Found it.  I noticed a message over in the Compuserve forum about some new place, but didn't catch on.  I hear my email wasn't gotten, not sure what was used, but the compuserve stuff I never check, it is 99.9% ads and such, and once a year I might find someone using it to me.  Anyway, here we are.

For the new season, a 'new' (to us) Ford F350 SuperDuty, SuperCab diesel 4x4.  Have new tiedowns for camper installed, all set to go. 

Bill & Jolene

Bill & Jolene,

Welcome to our new home. ?We are glad to see you have found us. ?Sent you an invite but when we didn't see you here we just had to try another way. ?I think you will like what we have here. ?A pol has been set up to get a feel for our first impressions of the new forum. ?Please take the time and respond to the POL
Welcome again it good to see you here.

Bill and Jolene,

Glad to see that you havve found the new home for the RV Forum.  We're happy to see you here.  If you have any questions or comments about the new format feel free to ask or comment away  ;D.

BillnRI said:
Jim and all
Found it.  I noticed a message over in the Compuserve forum about some new place, but didn't catch on.  I hear my email wasn't gotten, not sure what was used, but the compuserve stuff I never check, it is 99.9% ads and such, and once a year I might find someone using it to me.  Anyway, here we are.

For the new season, a 'new' (to us) Ford F350 SuperDuty, SuperCab diesel 4x4.  Have new tiedowns for camper installed, all set to go. 

Bill & Jolene

Hi Bill,

Great to see you here. Hope you stick around for awhile!! ;D ;D Let's see if we can finally get together this summer. If nothing else we can drive to Providence for lunch or something. Used to do that when Ken & Sheila were in MA. Of course, I'll be working most days, I hope, so it will probably be a weekend.

Bill

I suspect someone was clicking on the email link in the old forum and, unless you'd updated your email address there, it would have gone to your old email address. The system doesn't tell you what the address is when you click on that link. If someone clicked on the Private Message link you should have seen it irrespective of which forum you were in, but folks often miss their PMs there for some reason.

BillnRI said:
Curious about what email address was being used to attempt to find me.? The one to use is [email protected]? This is checked often during the day.

When I sent you a message I sent it using the E-mail CS had for you on the forum.  I thought I also sent it to you as a PM.  Main thing you got the message somehow.
;D

Getting used to new software, 'Show new replies' is great.  Wish I had tried it earlier!  What ended up working was Jim Dick leaving me a phone message.,

BillnRI said:
Getting used to new software, 'Show new replies' is great.  Wish I had tried it earlier!  What ended up working was Jim Dick leaving me a phone message.,

Sure glad that worked!!!! ;D ;D

Moab is still great. I have the mountain bike but nobody with whom to ride here and I'm really not in shape for these mountains. Off roading is fun, though. If it weren't for the winters I might move here. It sure is gorgeous!!!

Bill

Click here for a list of how-to's for this forum software.

You just missed Don True out there, he was there with a couple of the old ycling Forum guys about 2 weeks ago.  Take the 4-wheeler up to Porcupine Rim.  Great ride.

BillnRI said:
You just missed Don True out there, he was there with a couple of the old ycling Forum guys about 2 weeks ago.  Take the 4-wheeler up to Porcupine Rim.  Great ride.

Bill,

I would love to contact Don again. I have one of his "famous" cycling books. I need to tell you about Don and my wife's cousin. It's a story that is beyond belief! We met Don and his wife outside Toledo on one of our trips back east. Really neat guy. I was just reading some of his stories that were on the old Prodigy forum.

He worked for the Telco in Kansas as I did in CT. I have a story he wrote to me about working for the Telco that just crackied me up. It would not be appreciated by anyone not associated with a Telco but it was a riot!

If you have his emaill address I would love to have it. He is a cycling hero, along with Jim, the Animal!!!!! ;D ;D

BillnRI said:
[email protected]

I remember there was a connection, but don't quite remember what it was.  BTW, he moved to Austin, TX. 

Thanks for Don's email! I lost contact several years ago. He worked for the Telco in Topeka when I was working for SNET. I met him on the Prodigy cycling forum. We corresponded occasionally and he wrote one of his famous "True" stories about telephone experiences on the frame. I nearly died laughing since I experienced everything he mentioned. On one of our trips through Kansas we stopped to meet him and his family. He presented me with a copy of one of his books. I'm sure you have read many of the. They are hilarious. I like the Dogs of Dover and the one about Jim the Animal and the bungy cord. ;D ;D

Several years ago Pat's cousin and his wife were riding a tandem on the ride across Wisconsin. Forgot the acronym. As they were traveling they came upon a lone rider who was struggling to catch his group. The rider dropped behind and began drafting. During the ensuing conversation Gary mentioned they were from Vernon, CT. The lone rider immediately asked " Are you Jim Dick?" Gary said no but he's married to my cousin. It was Don True!!

They finally caught up to his group, the Kansas Wheel Suckers, and he dropped off. Later that night Gary & Debbie were invited to their campfire. Gary & Debbie both got Kansas Wheel Sucker T-shirts. Don said they never give out T-shirts to outsiders.

A couple of years later Gary & Debbie were going to ride their tandem from VA to CA. He asked if he could contact Don on their way through Kansas. I got his phone and address for them but they weren't able to stop. Along the way they found a small convenience store and decided to take a break. They spotted several riders also resting. When they walked over one of the was Don True.

It just proves this is a very small world, especially if you travel. You won't be able to get away with anything as someone will be there that knows you!!! :)

BillnRI said:

Just checked the book on Porcupine Rim. Guess I won't do that this year since it's a "difficult" trail requiring high clearance and skid plates. ;D

When I did Moab we had 2 condos in some little condo village. All Compuserve Cycling guys.  True, Tedd Jones, many names you may have missed, but big group.  (14).  One morning getting ready to go a couple comes over to ask about where we were from, were we a club etc.  Explained the CIS deal, and intro'ed guys from VA, MI, AZ, CA RI, the UK etc...

OK, they say we need to get Lee, he rides mountain bikes and he has a computer.  So, they bring Lee out, he is checking out the bikes, eyes wide, lpts of full susp etc.  They mention we are a bunch of guys that know one another from the computer.  He mentions he used to visit a forum on CIS, the Cycling forum...  Leader was nice guy, helped him a lot to pick out his bike.  I asked him if the advice hhelped, Oh Yes, love the bike, then he said the guy was  named Bill.. mmm, uh, Whetstone.  So, I went over and shook his hand.  Hi, I am Bill Whetstone, great to meet you.  His jaw dropped, eyes got big, Nooo, you are pulling my leg...  We are all laughing.  My name is on my bike, so I just pointed at it.  Now he is really excited, I ask who else he remembered.  Oh, funny guy named Don True.  Hey DOn, come meet a fan!, and on it went to a number of guys.  It was really unbelievable.  Don autographed a copy of his True Storys book and gave it to him. 

Funny thins, he is from Dallas, he was with folks from some other place that he had hooled up with in Detroit at some convention, and they all decided to go to Moab for some 4WD stuff and ended up our neighbor.  You can't make this stuff up, it would not be believable.    Just like the Wisconsin ride and the Kansas thing.  Just can't make that happen.

Moab is still great. I have the mountain bike but nobody with whom to ride here and I'm really not in shape for these mountains.

Doggone it, Jim, I sure wish you could have made it up our way to ride.  I'm still looking for riding buddies here in Dillon, MT.  Reports are that a professor at the local college is trying to start a riding group but no luck yet.

Regards,

--Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom