Thanksgiving plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
What are your plans for Thanksgiving?

We have an unusual situation in that two of our kids (in the mid west) always have to work the holiday and the third (in N. CA) usually does in-law duty. Since we prefer to see our grandson at Christmas, we don't mind the tradeoff, but it usually means that Chris and I don't celebrate Thanksgiving with immediate family.

We've celebrated Thanksgiving in various parts of the world, including Hong Kong (Thanksgiving dinner at the HK Harbour Hotel is to die for), the UK (the locals don't know what Thanksgiving is all about), Maui and various other places. This year we plan to repeat last year and celebrate with our other Framily; A small group of boats will congregate at a location on the CA Delta. Chris has the spit roast ready to cook the turkey (she's told me I'm in charge of turkey this year) and others will bring the other food, trimmings and pie.

FWIW this year we celebrate our 26th year in our "new land" and we have a lot to be thankful for, including the close friends we've shared many of these years with and the many friends and acquaintances that have developed.

Right now we're boondocking at Rabbit Valley, near Fruita Colorado. Will stay here to watch the Broncos beat the Chargers tomorrow night. Then on toward Ticaboo and Bullfrog. Probably be at Bullfrog for turkey day. Although, it's so nice here in Rabbit Valley (once the dirt bikes go away at dusk), that we may just stay here...plenty of water in the tank, lots of sunshine to keep the solar panels happy, and both the roof-mount and the DishNet dishes deployed and online. Life is Good.

Son is coming over and will deep fry a Turkey.  Couple neighbors will be invited and probably Smoky and the Admiral.  Other than giving thanks for providing this great country for us and to the troops past, present, and future for protecting this great nation, it's just another day prviding everyone is healthy. 

Careful frying that turkey. Just heard on the news that someone's mobile home burnt to the ground when the guy dropped the turkey in the fryer on his wooden porch and the whole thing caught fire.

I watched a video that showed a fire department caught off guard by a deep fryer when the hot oil boiled over.

Shayne said:
....giving thanks for providing this great country for us and to the troops past, present, and future for protecting this great nation....

Amen to that Shayne.

Son has been doing many of them and if he's not careful, I'll put him in the cooker.

wendycoke said:
Careful frying that turkey. Just heard on the news that someone's mobile home burnt to the ground when the guy dropped the turkey in the fryer on his wooden porch and the whole thing caught fire.

Wendy,

Interesting as we were having dinner with friends tonight who used to live at TGO. He always did a turkey in a fryer which was fueled with propane. He said he now has an electric fryer because of the fire danger with the propane. It doesn't take much to start one huge conflagration.

Tom,

Since both our kids llive about 500+ miles apart, and one is now somewhere near/in  the Persian Gulf, we will spend Thanksgiving with several friends from TGO who belong to our dominoes group. We have done this in previous years as well. I will sleep well knowing our son has joined many of our troops ensuring we enjoy this Thanksgiving in peace. Please remember those who are not home for this Thanksgiving!!

Shirley, her son and I will play golf on Turkey Day and then go somewhere for dinner.  My son is 200 miles south and can't come because of all his dogs.  My daughter might join us after we play golf. Durring the time when my son and daughter were on each coast, we established this tradition.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Framily.

Jim Dick said:
Please remember those who are not home for this Thanksgiving!!

We sure will Jim, as I'm sure we all will. Your son has a huge responsibility with all those folks under his command.

Tom said:
We sure will Jim, as I'm sure we all will. Your son has a huge responsibility with all those folks under his command.

It's hard to believe that's the same kid we raised. ;D Here's a link to a really nice video/audio tribute to Thanksgiving.

That's a very nice tribute Jim, thanks for the link.

Thanks Jim and our prayers with be with him and the rest of the boys  and girls.

We spent a lot of time together this past summer with a couple who also have a TS and who we had met at previous rallies. We got together again at our Spartan Chassis Homecoming rally and traveled together on our caravan to Newfoundland, on side trips and our return to the states. They live in Prescott, AZ, about 100 miles north of us. They have invited us over for Thanksgiving dinner and we hope to recount this summer's adventure and taste some of the Portuguese specialties that they kept describing to us.

Sounds like a gastronomical adventure Bernie. One year we were invited by our then real estate agent who's husband was Greek. She'd apparently learned the Greek recipes from his mother.

Now you're talking about good food.  Just finished eating Breakfast and now you got me hungry already.  Love the way they make cabbage rolls.  I've never been able to duplicate the Greek Sauce, it's much like the Gypsys use  Love it.

Howdy, Framily.

Jack and I will have Thanksgiving Day dinner down here at the Lone Star Corral in Hondo, TX. I have volunteered to be on kitchen duty.  :D
If you are an Escapee and you are in the area, you are welcome to have T'day dinner in this park, at  2 PM. There will be a charge of about $2.00 per person.  Not bad for a full turkey dinner.  :D  Unfortunately I don't think our son nor grandson will be with us as they have other plans.

We wish our Framily a very Happy Thanksgiving Day, and we especially remember Pat and Jim Dick's son in the Persian Gulf and all of our other troops.
G-d keep them safe.

Best regards,
Jack and Liz Pearce and Oreo the escape cat.
P.S. Beautiful message on that link, Jim. Thanks.

Will visit our daughter in Fort Lauderdale for several days - about 280 miles from our place. Do the turkey trot down there and enjoy the benefits of a major metro area for restaurants, shopping, etc.  We usually have to rest up for  3-4 days after that!    Then she will come to us for Christmas

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom