The 30 amp tethering plug needs replacing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Late to the party.

Best shore cord plug I have found is a Progressive Industries TT-30P.

Progressive Industries RV TT-30P

439d5a_177e2bb4213d4c6ca745045f79bc1643.webp

Four screws instead of three holding it together. No handle that keeps the cover on the pedestal from closing. Its long so you have long wires that are easy to work with and good strain relief, nickel plated contacts.

Charles

Not always, though that's a common cause. The slots on the RV park pedestal are often worn, dirty or pitted and that will cause damage to the blades on the plug. Another common cause is continuous operation at peak amperage. These plugs are rated for 30A peak but only 80% of that continuous (30 minutes or more). Some of the better grade plugs can handle a continuous 30A, but many of them get hot and show signs of burning or melted insulation if 24A is exceeded for a more than 20-30 minutes. That can easily occur on a 30A system if the a/c (s) are running, water heater on electric, fridge cooling on electric, etc. It's not hard to draw 25A in an RV.
Thank you for this post. I wasn't aware of the limitations of a 30 A system.

I've repaired one plug but now I need to check the connection to make sure it's safe. I just used a plug I picked up at Quartzsite. Most big box stores do not carry an RV 30 A plug.

Another problem we had at a park was not being able to pull the 30A plug out of the receptacle. Is that a related problem?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom