The Adirondacks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrvlShell

I'm in the process of planning some RV trips for this summer, and one of the places we're thinking of is somewhere in the Adirondacks (never been before). I have to admit, after some initial research, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed trying to decide exactly where in the Adirondacks we should go. Wondering if anyone has any favorite campgrounds or favorite areas in the Adirondacks. We like hiking and kayaking, and would be looking for campgrounds with full-hookups. We'd probably be going sometime in July (if we can find campground reservations). Thanks!!

I went tent camping there once when I was young. Black flies ate us up. I think they are worst in early summer.

Black Flies - May through June. Look at Noth Pole Resorts, WIlmington, NY - it will put you center stange in the Adirondack High Peaks. Late July and into August are best, weatherwise.

I live in the eastern Adirondacks on Lake Champlain. We do our RV camping in the shoulder seasons, May/June, September /Oct. We do state parks but none that I know have FHU's. I can't recommend any private parks but a quick search shows more then a few. We do enjoy the western side, so look around Tupper Lake and Saranac Lake. Lots of great kayaking in any direction from there, some touristy things like the Adirondack Museum, whitewater trips, Lake Placid, Long Lake and Indian Lake are close as is the Saranac chain of lakes, all within a half hour and within range of Cranberry Lake and Tug Hill Plateau to the west , Paul Smiths to the north etc. Phil is correct about Wilmington, close to Lake Placid and lots of hiking. Lake Champlain and the Champlain Valley are pretty special as well, great bicycling in the foothills of the High Peaks and quieter, gentler, less crowded hiking., also just a day trip to Vermont ,worth it just for the ferry ride but lots to do there also. Hope I helped, the only advice I can give about campgrounds is to start booking now.
Good luck

Lots of choices for sure - it's a huge park!
The rather bizarre size analogy aside, some info:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Adirondack Park is the largest state park, and the largest publicly protected area of any kind in the lower 48 states. At six million acres, it's bigger than two Central American countries, and bigger than two nations of former Yugoslavia.

We stayed in the town of Inlet. We were not camping at the time, but there is a campground called Limekiln State Campground which looks nice.

We had wings at a place called Screamen Eagle which had a nice choice of wings and pizza and loads of beers on tap.

We hiked up to a great view point (photo) and there are lots of lakes around to enjoy.

Attachments

• 20151006_121836.jpg
    20151006_121836.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 3
Every time I read the topic of this thread I remember that Jeff Daniels once visited I think it's the baseball Hall of Fame... (Mr. Gornicke in the movie RV)

Back
Top Bottom