The almanac winter predictions 2021-2022

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ziplock

Brrr! The 2022 Old Farmer’s Almanac comes with a winter warning: Prepare for a “Season of Shivers.” This winter will be punctuated by positively bone-chilling, below-average temperatures across most of the United States.

“This coming winter could well be one of the longest and coldest that we’ve seen in years,” says Janice Stillman, editor of The Old Farmer’s Almanac. For 230 years, the Almanac has been helping readers to prepare for winter’s worst with its 80 percent–accurate weather forecasts.

In some places, the super cold of the coming winter will also bring lots of snow. This extreme wintry mix is expected in areas of New England as well as throughout the Ohio Valley, in northern portions of the Deep South, and in southeast New Mexico.

Above-average snowfall is also in the forecast along a track from eastern Montana southward through the western halves of the Dakotas and into northeastern Colorado. While temperatures in this midcountry strip will be relatively normal, snowfall will be abundant, with several storms predicted throughout the winter.

Meanwhile, most western areas will remain relatively dry, with all but the Pacific Coast itself and portions of the Southwest experiencing the frigid cold predicted for much of the rest of the country.

I posted the link if anyone feels like reading stuff.

Harvest moon coming up:

This year, the brilliant Harvest Moon will appear in the evening of Monday, September 20, reaching peak illumination at 7:54 P.M. EDT.

Many little tidbits about the harvest moon in the article.

I like the entire website:

Many articles to read each month.

I enjoy reading the predictions and then watching to see how they play out.

Seems no matter how one rolls the dice, the West ends up dry. That's not good.

Most scientific analyses of the accuracy of Farmers' Almanac forecasts have shown a 50% rate of accuracy, which is higher than that of groundhog prognostication, a folklore method of forecasting.

Brrr! The 2022 Old Farmer’s Almanac comes with a winter warning: Prepare for a “Season of Shivers.” This winter will be punctuated by positively bone-chilling, below-average temperatures across most of the United States.

“This coming winter could well be one of the longest and coldest that we’ve seen in years,” says Janice Stillman, editor of The Old Farmer’s Almanac. For 230 years, the Almanac has been helping readers to prepare for winter’s worst with its 80 percent–accurate weather forecasts.

In some places, the super cold of the coming winter will also bring lots of snow. This extreme wintry mix is expected in areas of New England as well as throughout the Ohio Valley, in northern portions of the Deep South, and in southeast New Mexico.

Above-average snowfall is also in the forecast along a track from eastern Montana southward through the western halves of the Dakotas and into northeastern Colorado. While temperatures in this midcountry strip will be relatively normal, snowfall will be abundant, with several storms predicted throughout the winter.

Meanwhile, most western areas will remain relatively dry, with all but the Pacific Coast itself and portions of the Southwest experiencing the frigid cold predicted for much of the rest of the country.

I posted the link if anyone feels like reading stuff.
Snow & NM do not mix well. They have limited equipment to clear and many have never driven in snow make for some really bad driving. There are places they close interstate 10, 25 & 40 with about 4" back about 2010wehad a freeze that broke pipes every where, you could not buy a PVC fitting any where in the state as everyone was sold out. I had a brother offered to ship me a couple boxes of 1/2/ 3/4 & 1" fittings..

back about 2010wehad a freeze that broke pipes every where

Yup, end of January or 1st of February 2011, returning to Denver from Quartzsite via I-10, I-25, we got caught by snow in Elephant Butte for two nights, one night was -4º and the other was -6ºF. Fortunately the RV park where we were stuck had a potluck going the first night and a chili dinner the second night we were there, along with easily accessible inside facilities.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 7
Yup, end of January or 1st of February 2011, returning to Denver from Quartzsite via I-10, I-25, we got caught by snow in Elephant Butte for two nights, one night was -4º and the other was -6ºF. Fortunately the RV park where we were stuck had a potluck going the first night and a chili dinner the second night we were there, along with easily accessible inside facilities.
Home! We live at the lake there, had we know you you would have been welcome. That Cedar Cove RV?

Well, at least I am heavily stocked on used motor oil for my shop furnace. It burns used motor oil and is forced air. I only run it when I am in there, or if its going below freezing for more than a few hours, but right now I'm sitting on about 250 gallons of oil.

Need to get busy and clean out the ash from the heater.

Charles

I use a diesel 215,000 btu torpedo heater in the shop and two A/C's that get a lot more use. That oil heater burn synthetic oil too? Not sure I would have enough here to warm the shop long, my 6.7 power stroke and a old GMC 5.3.

Home! We live at the lake there, had we know you you would have been welcome. That Cedar Cove RV?
Thanks. Yes, it was Cedar Cove. We had actually passed the exit and were hoping to get further, but we saw the first snow flakes shortly after we passed it (we knew the mean forecast) so turned around at the next exit. Nice place, friendly people.

Last edited:
You were with in a mile of my place. The owners are friends & have opened a second RV park Cedar Cove 2 little further into town. Really nice people, he owns almost all the land behind the park for as far as you can see. Lots of ATV area they used for a rally, grew too big so the stopped.

Well if it gets any colder than it did in Texas this past winter, we in a heap o' trouble. Especially if ERCOT doesn't get their errrr...crap together. For three days or so, we had a total of about two hours of electricity. With temperatures in the teens and twenties most of those days, it was not fun.

With temperatures in the teens and twenties most of those days, it was not fun.
That was terrible. It was nation wide news of course. People paying those outrageous electric bills if you were on a certain plan and so forth with all the burst pipes in an area that is apparently not the norm for freezing temps like that.

I never did completely understand the whole mess.

Can you update us on what happened?

The biggest problem was the power plants were not prepared for this kind of weather. Many of the power stations were "winterized" and could not be brought up to help the primary stations. Once one started to overload, it was a cascade event.

I'm not sure how much progress was made to prevent this from happening again. They say it's all about the money. As in, it takes money to upgrade or update the plants to be able to come up when or if needed. They say steps have been taken to mitigate the issues, but I'm not too sure about it. And I hope I don't have to test it again. I know I will have something different to provide a little heat next time. The little heater we had just didn't do much. I just need to find something that will put out decent heat on a 3K generator.

You were with in a mile of my place. The owners are friends & have opened a second RV park Cedar Cove 2 little further into town. Really nice people, he owns almost all the land behind the park for as far as you can see. Lots of ATV area they used for a rally, grew too big so the stopped.
Here's a shot of the chili supper that snowy, cold night.

Attachments

• Quartzsite2011_097.JPG
    Quartzsite2011_097.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 6

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom