The First Trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chaajoad

Wow.

We left Poulsbo WA early last Friday and headed for Crescent Lake (about 20 miles outside Port Angeles WA). The MH was clean, stocked and we were as ready as we would ever be. We pulled in around 9PM or so and this is where board vets will get a grin.

First off, I pulled into our slot facing the wrong way but didn't know that, of course. Like an idiot, I'm trying to toss the power line under the rig. I finally do it, plug in and ... nothing. I pull closer to another power box and ... nothing. After a walk over to the office (luckily there was a very nice guy still there) we hopped in the golf cart and went back to the MH. That'as when I discovered that the power line had come unplugged INSIDE the MH compartment. I thought it was permanently attached - never dawned on me that it would unplug from the rig. He then told me I was pulled in backwards and helped me pull back around and in the right way, assuring me things like this happened often. This time when I plugged in - wham! We were lit up.

Where we live, the night sky is pretty spectacular - stars and the faint haze of the Milky Way. I've spent many nights on the deck with a fire beside me, contemplating everything you can think of.
But the skies at Crescent Lake are breath-taking. I actually got teary-eyed, it was that spectacular. My wife and kid were beat so they were turning in but I sat outside in the dark, beer in hand, thinking life is good. Crescent Lake is in a National Park and has very little development so there are only a few lights waaaay across the lake.

In the morning, I get up, pull up the curtains - again, the view is spectacular. But my wife and son are announcing the toilet won't flush/ "Sure it will," says I. After all, there really aren't any moving parts. I try a few times - nothing. It's then that I notice two small water trickles coming from the bathroom. We soak it up with paper towels but it keeps leaking what looks like clean water, not sewage. After a bit, it quits.

Not wanting to tempt fate, wife and boy go to the camp showers. While they're gone, I decide to take a shower. In the middle of the experience, the water stops. Hmmmm. Water still runs from the faucet, just not from the shower head. Muttering, I dry off, making an imaginary list of things to fix.

During the day we went for a short hike followed by taking a rowboat out on the lake. Abbot & Costello would have been proud - but we managed to get back to shore.

Our first dinner was to be simple - Stouffer's lasagna, fresh salad w garlic bread and a nice bottle of wine. I turn the oven on, wife inserts the lasgna and I go outside to read. Wihin minutes, she's at the door, telling me there's sometrhing very wrong. I rush in and ...

She put the lasgna and it's plastic pan directly on the metal pan above the burners and the plastic was melting!! And I saw her do it, saying nothing. Well, we learned to never do that again. But most of the lasgna was salvaged and microwaved and dinner was actually wonderful - I tried not think of the scrub job waiting for when we got home. After a bit, we watched a movie ("greatest Game Ever Played" - really liked it). It was cool. The movie looked fine on the rig's standard main TV and the sound was excellent, coming from a very inexpensive 5 spkr sound system from ebay; I payed like $25 plus $15 shipping and truthfully, it rocked for that small space. I bought a 17" LCD and sound system for the bedroom. But how cool is it to be watching a movie and eating ice cream after a nice dinner in such beautiful surroundings??? Agan, the stars were fabulous and we sat around a fire, enjoying the quiet and the moment, talking in soft voices.

Sunday was a day of discoveries.

I fixed a big breakfast and that in itself is amazing - cooking out in the sticks as if we're in a, well ... a house. Which we are, sort of. After that, I decided to try my hand at draining the gray & black water tanks. When I bought the rig, one tank registered "full" but the seller said he thought the gauge was probably faulty - there was no smell, etc. I was REAL nervous but it was beyond simple. And when I opened the black water, there was a HUGE rush of water. With that drained, our water leak stopped and the toilet works like a charm. Followed it with the gray water. The tubes were clean, non-sticky. But I washed out the compartment anyway with the outdoor shower and I noticed the shower head was the same as the balky one inside. When I turned it to the square marking, the water shut off. Ah-ha! I had somehow nudged the shower head into the"off" position. Of course it works just fine.

After a long chat with another nice couple, exchanging notes on MH life, we were off for home. The rig rides and handles (IMO) perfectly. Big trucks blow past doing 60, the MH dosn't so much as flinch. Steering perfectly aligned.

Crescent Lake and the Pine Cabin Lodge is highly recommended. They serve what looks like an excellent dinner on Sat. nights and nert time we'll try it. It's clean, folks are friendly and killer views. Close to Hurrican Ridge if you have a toad.

I do have a few questions and will post a few photos in the next day or so. Overall, the adventure went very, very well and we couldn't be more pleased. In a few weeks we're headed for Victoria Island off Vancouver BC. I know sooner or later we'll have troubles, but for now ... it was terrific and we should have done this a long time ago.

Thanks to everyone on this board for your patience and help!

Danny Wright
Poulsbo WA
99 Bounder 34J

Danny, I am laughing my ass off. But trust me, these are the trips you'll remember, far more than the trips where everything is 'perfect'.

Enjoy

I agree with Wendy.  The most memorable trips are those that as you recall them start with remember when....

Also, I tell DH, if we don't get into trouble, we aren't travelling enough!!! ;)

I'm glad that overall your outing was good!!  May you have many more miles of adventure and safe travels.

Danny, may all your adventures be enjoyable to live and fun to relate.  Enjoy the Bounder.

lou

Great read, Danny.  ;D  I've been looking forward to this post for awhile, with all the other threads leading up to it.  ;)  It's been fun to follow your progress and imagine myself there, as you well know I am still in the shopping phase.

Danny thanks for sharing.

I enjoyed it and the memories of mine it brought back, like the time I cooked the plastic lid for my metal bowl along with the beans.

Or the time we camped somewhere with a view of the Alps.  I remember flipping pancakes and drinking in the scenery.  Camille remembers calling me to take boy child to the bathroom but I was off in space somewhere & kid p'd in the tent.

D2 - your comment remains me of the difference between fairy tales and war stories.
RV stories start with "Remember when ...
Fairy tales "Once upon a time...
War stories "No s! this really happened...

Joel

Joel

joelmyer said:
D2 - your comment remains me of the difference between fairy tales and war stories.
RV stories start with "Remember when ...
Fairy tales "Once upon a time...
War stories "No s! this really happened...

Are you sure it isn't RV stories that start out "No s! this really happened"????

Can hardly wait for our first trip story. Oh, yeah, need MH first. All of my best stories begin with "Yes, we had been drinking." -steve

No matter how it starts out it ended great, nothing that went wrong cost any $$$

Kinda like the difference in RV boots and cowboy boots, cowboy boots the s**t on the outside!!!!!! ;D

Great Story!!

This coming weekend will be trip #2 - don't worry, I won't chronicle every trip here but everything is still kind of new.

We'll leave here Thursday night and take a ferry from Kingston WA to Mukilteo, drive north to Anacortes and spend the night in the ferry line parking lot. The boat leaves at 7:45AM so - this seems the best way. Friday morning that ferry will take us to Victoria Island BC - I think it's about 3 hours - and from there to our RV park. It looks like part of an old fort has been incorporated into the park - should be different. We can catch a bus to downtown Victoria for the Bug Museum (much more interesting than it must sound!) and the next day to Butchart Gardens, truly a world-class showplace (we've been once before - a first for the Bug Museum).

It's been fun this week, stocking up the RV. Set of knives, a new spotlight, a set of cookware, etc. My wife enjoys coming up with menus.

So trip #2 involves crossing into a foreign country and that makes me even more nervous BUT - I have everything working fine so the plan is to keep all the **** on the outside of my boots! And, if the worst happens, I'll have cold beer, hot food and a bed - how bad can it be?

Danny Wright
Poulsbo WA
99 Bounder 34J

Sounds great Danny, enjoy that 2nd trip.  How are you plotting your trips (i.e. how far to take the MH, what campground to use, what to do during the day)?  And you might have mentioned this before, but are you camping with kids?  We will be so I'm looking for any tips that anyone has.

Scotty -

One of the reasons we bought the rig was to be able to go to places around here less expensively. A few years back we went to Friday Harbr in the San Juan Islands. Three nights in a B&B was around $500 and that didn't include ferry fees. So even with bigger ferry fees for the rig, we'd save about $250 right out of the gate.

So my wife wanted to go back to Victoria. I just started Googling and found a good RV camp. I contacted them to make sure a bus was nearby because I haven't worked up to the toad thing. The WA state ferry system has good online stuff. I read at least 3 papers a day and saw the 50% promotion for RVs between Anacortes WA and Victoria BC. Made the reservation for a spot this Friday and we're off.

As far as kids -

Adam takes his GameCube and we make sure there are 2 or 3 movies with us. I hooked up DVD and stereo to the main cabin TV and my wife and I have a 20" LCD w sound system in the bedroom. I also take a small personal DVD player because I stay up late. We take lots of reading material, some balls and gloves, etc. Basically Adam knows my reason for being is not to entertain him so he's responsible for that stuff. Plus this stay will keep us busy with visiting the sites. Trust me, kids see this as huge adventure with a big "Whoa" factor. At 16, maybe not so much. At 9 - it's big.

At some point we might invite one of his buddies with us but for right now, three is just right in that rig. I think 4 or 5 would be stressful but some folks like lots of people around. I'm not anti-social, just want a little space.

Scotty. as a side note - almost every single thing in the RV - including the rig itself - was purchased on ebay. With my schedule, I would be messed up without buying things online.

Thanks for the details!  It sounds like you have the advantage of many "tourist" sites within a fairly short distance.  Here in central IL there's not a whole lot beyond the corn and soybean fields ;) , so we'd have to travel at least a few hours in any direction to see something new.  No problem though, I'm thinking with our kids being younger we'll probably start with overnighters at nearby campgrounds... not until next year at this rate.

chaajoad said:
Scotty. as a side note - almost every single thing in the RV - including the rig itself - was purchased on ebay. With my schedule, I would be messed up without buying things online.

I can understand that completely!  Although I buy online for the combination of price + convenience... I'm a big deal-shopper and the internet is where I find most of them.  The way things are going I expect to find a MH that way too, but there's always a chance something local might pop up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom