The future of RVs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolfram

Has anyone heard skuttlebutt on all electric RV development? With all the talk by major car makers of going all electric, even with trucks, I’m wondering if this is going to trickle down to larger van and bus chassis types as well?

It already has trickled down to larger Trucks and such. and at least one RV though I do not think that rig is sold in the USA.

I've been saying for some time that they need to put basically a portable Generator in an otherwise all electric Vehicle because you can make a generator that is fairly "Clean" compared to a honking big engine and also much smaller when all it's doing is feeding a battery.. The new Ford F-150 EV is doing just that. I've been preaching that design for several years.. I doubt ford will pay me for it.

Im sure someone will develop sonething obscure. But make no mistake gas powered units are not going anywhere in mine,yours or our kids lifetimes. Most power generated is done so using gas or oil byproducts. And most older housing infrastructures cannot or willnot support ev vehicle charging systems.
Some advances in Europe will work in Europe but not in ,North America where distances are vast and popilations sparce. Hell in Northern Ontario it was more than 750km between gas stations when we drove this spring from Calgary to London Ontario 3500 kms in 4 days pulling 40ft 5er

I've been saying for some time that they need to put basically a portable Generator in an otherwise all electric Vehicle because you can make a generator that is fairly "Clean" compared to a honking big engine and also much smaller when all it's doing is feeding a battery.. The new Ford F-150 EV is doing just that. I've been preaching that design for several years.. I doubt ford will pay me for it.
Railroad locomotives have been doing that for over half a century, John... ;)

With a significant number of municipalities moving to transit busses powered by natural gas, I wouldn't want to bet that soon we will see similar changes to larger RV's.

Ed

Ed you probably remember in 70s and 80s propane conversions were very popular here in Canada - not quite as popular though in the southern states because propane was more expensive at the time down there.

We might find some encouragement in this article on electric trucks and vans. The Tesla 500 mile range Class 8 truck and the Mercedes 600 mile range fuel cell powered van seem to be pretty promising for adaptation to the RV world eventually.

Has anyone heard skuttlebutt on all electric RV development? With all the talk by major car makers of going all electric, even with trucks, I’m wondering if this is going to trickle down to larger van and bus chassis types as well?
I have been waiting for such, but I was born too long ago, most likely, to be able to own a decent one.

You probably will enjoy reading this old thread.

I would say we are about half way there to have a decent E-RV with reasonable charging infrastructure.

Here is what you can buy in Europe. I will want twice that range and at least ten times the places to fast charge it while on the road.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I spent some of my career working in fuel cells for automotive applications and always thought electric motors with their high torque response would make a great application in buses and RVs. One issue that was brought up here is range, recharge rate, etc. However combining a small and efficient gas or diesel motor to drive and charge a battery pack could be a solution. Well it will be interesting to se what happens over the next 20 years to be sure.

Nothing major will happen in North America too long a distances not a dense enough population.

Europe and Asia different story. We once drove through 8 European borders in 1 day lol

There is nothing new about propane or compressed natural gas powered buses or delivery trucks, our family food distribution business ran CNG fueled delivery trucks back in the 1970's during the oil crisis. It was a headache then, and it is probably a headache now, though is an option for local area delivery if one has their own CNG fueling station.

As to RV's I think we will see full self driving show up making what we have now obsolete before we see a practical electric motorhome. I also don't think we will see it in the next 15 years, probably not in the next 20, there are just too many infrastructure issues to overcome, not to mention battery technology issues, though those are getting better all the time. Perhaps we will see a national grid of charging stations for larger trucks along the interstate highway system in 10 years, but that does not help the RV owner that wants to travel the back highways.

There has been lots of hype but in reality lithium battery technology has changed very little since it was introduced in 1985. They just keep adding more cells for more power. Hopefully in the next 35 years there will be a real breakthrough in battery technology.

A lot of the claims about battery development come from Elon Musk. Although his claims about a million mile battery hasn't materialized after six years. And oh, the EV semi-truck announced in 2017 for production in 2019 won't be in production "until late 2021". JD Powers quality award showed Tesla was the worst quality car in the world. Guess his SpaceX rockets are not much better. Anybody planning on buying a ticket to Mars from Elon? I'm waiting until he builds an EV rocket. When he announces it his stock will go up another 25%.
1614740547878.png

Guess his SpaceX rockets are not much better.

The picture you show is an experimental unit on which they were trying to learn how to do a new method of re-entry and landing, and they're learning a lot from the few flights they've tried with it. Their operational rockets (Falcon 9) have been the best in the world to this point, and have even gone to successfully recovering almost all first stages.

I'm not trying to paint them as wonderful, but if you want to criticize, at least do it for the right reasons. Tesla is a different animal...

Like anything else, there will be a transition to whatever motive platform is economically viable. Whether that's $1M E-coaches that only go between RV resorts or campers built on delivery truck chassis that charge from 50A campground outlets. If there is enough adoption, expect to see "charge stations" at strategic points at or near popular attractions like national parks and campgrounds. Not saying it's an ideal platform but people will make whatever they can get work. I personally think EV's aren't really solving anything, it's just trading one element extracted from the ground for another. It's as much or more political as practical, so only time will tell what mix of technologies will prevail. The last thing I'd be is an early adopter on truck chassis EV's, there's just too much in flux in that world to jump into anything.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Agreed with Mark, in that our nationwide infrastructure will take decades upon decades to be able to support self-driving cars on a wide scale. Anything innovative or groundbreaking will happen slowly, and primarily due to consumer demand... not edicts from the government, where nothing ever happens efficiently. If customers don't buy it, companies won't build it. The Chevy Volt (compact electric vehicle) that tried to compete with the Toyota Prius was eventually discontinued in all markets due to poor sales. Public mindsets on EVs are changing (largely due to Tesla popularity) and I do think they'll eventually become a offering from all vehicle manufacturers, but I still find definitive proclamations (whether from manufacturers or government) like "THERE WILL BE NO MORE GAS/OIL VEHICLES BY XX YEAR" to be silly and uninformed. They are just political platitudes at this point. There are too many unknown factors at this point to make such a statement, and if 50% of truck customers still want or need a diesel truck (for instance) in 10-15 years then I doubt any company is going to gladly give up 50% of their sales position in that area. It'll be interesting to follow!

It already has trickled down to larger Trucks and such. and at least one RV though I do not think that rig is sold in the USA.

Seems Ford is having a problem making an agreement battery manufacturers. batteries for the 150 EV.
And, according to Ford, the range of the truck is going to be about 300 miles. That range is like the MPG ratings of the gas engine. They tested it in a totally stock vehicles. What is the range going to be when pulling a trailer?
My Silverado states 22 mpg highway. With my trailer attached it drops to half that.

I think the "logical" convenience of electric is going to be a swapable battery. Think like a cordless drill or a propane tank.

You pull into a station, the "robot" slides out the dead battery pack and slides in a charged one. You basically "rent" the battery and its capital cost and depreciation is included in the fee.

" According to Bloomberg, Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Ltd. (CATL) claims its new cell can last 1.24 million miles, or 16 years."

See here.

-Don- Auburn, CA
And i claim to be the most beautiful and richest man in the world - anyone can claim anything. Prove it.
Fact is the only reason Tesla is still around is because they sell the mileage credits to companies whose cars dont meet mpg standards over the course of the year. Tesla as car company looses 2-3 million dollars a year. Elon Musk will go down in history as one of the worlds greatest con men. And good for him hes done well lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom