The Latest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chaajoad

I've posted a lot here ... hope no one minds and update. And maybe a few more questions, of course.

This Tuesday, an electrician will hook up 30amp service so I can have shore power. Then I can really start using the rig as a part-time office and experiment with stuff. I want to hook up stereos/DVD, etc. but I get nervous about running the battery down. And it appears the fridge/gas goes off when I turn off aux power - is that normal?

I tested the furnace today and it blows strong and hot. Finally got the fridge running. I just kept at it and eventually the pilot light lit and the fridge started cooling. THAT was a good feeling. I opened a faucet to get hot water for about 10 minutes and it never got truly hot. I opened the outside panel and couldn't see a pilot light or hear sparking ... any ideas? To us, this is minor but a hot shower would be nice as opposed to one that rattles your teeth.

I'm still unsure how to use the TV stuff, whether boondocking or at an RV park and am looking for tips to do that. But I figure with DVD and video games along with books and music, we'll be fine.

When I lock the door I can't seem to get it unlocked. The first time I dropped out a side window! Again, I'm not too concerned over it - the door is hardly going to stop anyone determined to get in - and I imagine it's tough to diagnose this problem long distance and without seeing it.

There's a 50% off special on the ferry from Anacortes to Victoria BC so I think that will be our first official trip. Just dig in and go, I guess. After all, we've had the rig since July and have yet to do more than a few day trips.

Again, this is just an update and if anyone can give me advice on the few points above, that's great. If not, the next post here will most likely be our report on the 1st overnight (2 nights, actually) trip!!!

I just re-read a few old posts - and YES. I now know the fridge needs battery juice when running on propane ...

Sometimes the water heater gas burner needs to be cleaned . Cob webs or dirt and grime somehow have a tendency to gather there.  Possibly the ignitor is malfunctioning. When it's dark out check to see if you are getting sparks.Possible that the gas valve is bad.  Have a propane company rep check it.  At least I would.  Hate messing with "Gas  Glad you got the rest working.

Is your water heater gas only, electric only or combination? Sorry - I've forgoten what make and model rig you have (we get a lot of questions here!).

Generally speaking, if the water gets warm at all, the heater must be working. Nothing else will warm it up.  ;)  A likely cause of warm but not hot water would be an open cold water valve mixing cold with the hot. This can happen if the heater bypass valve is partially open (it should be closed except when winterizing) or if the shower faucets are on (inside shower or outside). If the shower is turned off at the head and the valves left open, cold waer can mix with the hot and flow back through the pipes.

When I have the gas shut off for a while and then turn it back on to use. I always light the stove first to get some gas moving in the lines first before I light the fridge or water heater.. They seem to light faster that way.. JMOP....

Back
Top Bottom