The Unofficial Motorcycle Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don, we teenagers bought it circa 1963, so I can only assume it was a 1950+ bike. (It started and drove, and we didn't care what year it was). I want to say it was a Trophy, but google searches don't show it as that model.

Pick from this list.

My 2013 Trophy SE is quite a bit difference from any Trophy made in prior years. It's a high tech bike with endless bells and whistles. I cannot think of any possible feature they left out other than lit up switches for night use.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Here's my current rides: 2014 Honda CTX700 and a 2016 Can Am Spyder RTS SE6 (semi automatic)

Attachments

• CTX700.jpg
    CTX700.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200419_143101.jpg
    20200419_143101.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 4
50k miles on it. Second gear issue, no signs yet. I’ve owned it for the past 30k miles, always been easy hitting 2nd. But you are correct, odds are it probably will develop the issue.
With mine there was no trace of an issue and then it was there big time. I was also easy on 2nd gear. At 50 K miles, it can start slipping out of 2nd gear on any ride now. You will know it when it happens for the first time and then every ride after.

2nd gear will still be useful for down hill to slow the bike down, but can even slip when accelerating down a hill.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Post a photo of your motorcycles. I will start with two of my ten, my 2016 MG Stelvio and my 2017 Zero SR with power tank.

I have 8 others to post sometime later.

-Don- Reno, NV

These are my three favorite bikes. I learned how to ride on the 250. The V65 was an 1100 that went 0 to 110 in about 5 seconds, I had it for eight years, I'm surprised I lived (my wife loved it). I bought the KLR650 which is my current bike because the V65 was just too fast. Going 145 is crazy.

Attachments

• 1972_yamaha_dt2.jpg
    1972_yamaha_dt2.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 11
  • KLR650.jpg
    KLR650.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 11
  • V65 Magna.jpg
    V65 Magna.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I recently bought a 2013 Goldwing F6B. It's a fun ride.

Attachments

• IMG_2028.jpeg
    IMG_2028.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Well, crap, I finally broke down and bought a bike. Didn't get the new Triumph I'd been looking at, but actually flashed back to my younger days. Before I ever owned my first Harley I was a Honda guy. Last Honda I owned was a '79 750Ltd 10th Anniversary edition. Loved that bike.
Well I found one while poking around on the 'net and made a deal with the guy. I pick it up in about a month, once my seasonal job ends. Here's one of his pics of her.

Attachments

• t194-1-1506376619804.jpg
    t194-1-1506376619804.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 8
recently bought a 2013 Goldwing F6B. It's a fun ride.
That's a nice looking red GW! I hear only nice things about GWs from those who have owned them, but I have not yet ridden one myself.

But all ten of my bikes are fun rides!

Especially my little Zero DS that I have been riding on this trip.

-Don- Ashland, OR

Before I ever owned my first Harley I was a Honda guy. Last Honda I owned was a '79 750Ltd 10th Anniversary edition.
I remember the 1969 750-4 very well, how they advertised the 1/4 mile in 12.7 seconds. That was just before I was drafted into the army. Honda's largest bike at the time. IIRC, the very first Gold Wing was based on that bike.

-Don- Ashland, OR

That's a nice looking red GW! I hear only nice things about GWs from those who have owned them, but I have not yet ridden one myself.
So far I am thrilled with it. I sold my 83 Venture, sad day as it was my ride for the last 8 years. The GW 1800 cc engine is like a smooth rocket. It has the cobra exhaust with torq loopz. Has a nice growl, but not too loud at all.

he GW 1800 cc engine is like a smooth rocket.
When the Harley M8 engine was first designed in 2016, and they put it on a bike, the HD engineers decided it was way too smooth, riders "can't even tell they are on a motorcycle". No way would Harley put up with that!

See here.

"When an engine with complete vibration cancellation was tested, riders rejected it; "

So they changed the engine balancing from 100% to 75% so their riders "would know they are on a motorcycle".

There's a right way, a wrong way and the Harley way to design a motorcycle.

But I would love to have tried out the 100% balanced bike, but they never had any for sale. I wonder how it would have compared to the Honda GW.

But I have to admit that my 2017 Harley RoadGlide Ultra has a very good feel to it. Not a bit harsh, unlike any other Harley. It's just enough vibration to tell that I am on a motorcycle, has a great feel as is. IMO, they did a great job with that bike. Before it, I hated every Harley I tried, and I have ridden many.

But I will always wonder how that 100% balancing would feel like and which I would prefer. Can a touring motorcycle be too smooth? I am undecided. I would have to try them both to know.

For a very long trip, my 2017 Harley RoadGlide is the most comfy bike I have ever been on. I always take it when I will be riding more than a few hundred miles per day.

-Don- Ashland, OR

Then don't ride an Energica Electric Ego. But it will only do 150 MPH uphill. Same speed downhill. It's programmed to not go faster than considered safe for the bike, which is 150 MPH. 0 to 60 MPH in 2.6 seconds.

-Don- Ashland, OR

That's impressive. Back in 1984, the V65 was pretty much the quickest bike out there.

Thought I might post my ride on the Tail of the Dragon (318 curves in 11 miles) on my way home from Daytona in October 2018. If you’ve not done it I highly recommend it.(I rode like the old fart that I am. At 10:50 a mini van passes me 😂)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom