The One Most Important Thing To Do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

If you are a newcomer to the RVing lifestyle, you may be concerned about what to to ensure nothing bad happens when you drive off with your RV.

As a topic of discussion, and to elicit some thoughts about correct departure procedures, I propose the question:

Whatin your opinion is the one most important thing to do before driving off with your RV to ensure nothing bad happens?

Lock your door, and make sure the dog is really hungry :)

Both good answers, Ned? ??? and Carl? ?:-\, but not the one most important activity.? ?

Any other suggestions? 8)

I agree.  There are so many important critical things to check, that checking the checklist must be the ONE most important thing to check.

Ed,

silly-arse checklists

In my opinion, I would not minimize the importance of a check list.  Let's face it our RV equipment is worth a lot of money and the systems are complex and many are inter dependent.  A well thought out check list should be part of everyones departure procedure.

So, I agree using the checklist is important, and I do it, having learned from an airline pilot friend with whom we used to travel in our motorhomes together.

But after the checklist is completed, and just before putting the transmission in Drive, there should be one very important activity.

We've seen it done, and probably do it without thinking, but a newcomer to the RV lifestyle might not immediately do it until it is learned from an experienced mentor.

Or maybe newcomers do it out of necessity, and  some old-timers become apathetic about doing it.

Several campgrounds have signs:
antenna down
steps up
wife on board

Since the first two should be on the checklist ...

LOL Joel!  :D

Well I guess Steve wants the very number one thing off the checklist.  I am sure I can't guess what he is thinking of.  But my answer would be, before turning on the ignition and beginning the trip, say a prayer to St. Christopher.  :D

Steve said:
If you are a newcomer to the RVing lifestyle, you may be concerned about what to to ensure nothing bad happens when you drive off with your RV.

As a topic of discussion, and to elicit some thoughts about correct departure procedures, I propose the question:

Whatin your opinion is the one most important thing to do before driving off with your RV to ensure nothing bad happens?

Check the tire pressures!!

Liz

Well, I'd say the very most important thing to do is to make sure you properly posted the check for the monthly payment for the rig,  Else, when you go to see some local attraction.... You just might return to an empty campsite

Check tire pressure, lights, and brakes

Barb, you are nearly there!  Though you've listed three activities, they could be combined into one category of activity frequently referred to by professional drivers.

For the sake of discussion, and to add suspense, I won't submit my answer, currently stored in a sealed envelope in a hermetically sealed jar.

Will reveal my answer after Wilma leaves Florida ;)

:) :)

The walk around!!? ?Absolutely right Tom!!? ?By performing a circle check and walking around the rig, looking up and down, checking the roof line, the tires, windows hitch, toad tires, and even glancing into the engine compartment should be the last thing done before driving off.

It's a good idea to perform a walk around every time the drivers change over, stop for lunch or any other opportunity.

A walk around can catch something small before it develops into a major problem.

Thanks Tom...

Barb said:
Check tire pressure, lights, and breaks.

Barb

Re: Checking lights...........

(Or tires or whatever)

One of the scenaros I often explain involves the line "Ah, I don't need to check the tires, I mean they are brand new, They don't leak"

(This is said just before the driver hits a pot hole, pokes the rim right through the sidewayy causing sudden and complete tire deflation and says "OH S!!!!!!!" rolls over and dies.. And I'm not speaking figuratively here.. Ask some time in another thread)

Of course thanks to BernieD... I check my tire pressure rather often (like every five minutes when in the MH)

As to lights:

My rig is a 2005.5  Has only about 1500 miles on it

One would thing the lights would all be working .... Right?

Park employee told me of a brake light out on the Motor Home.. Yup, burned out. (Replaced it on the way home)
Towed brake lights worked 100% though (Or perhaps 200% since my Unified Gear system activates the brake light switch and the Motor Home also powers those same lights when I hit the brakes)

Steve

I do the walk-around right after I check the toad lights are working. Same walk-around on the boat. I once tried to leave a marina with the power cord still plugged in  :-[  Didn't go very far  ;D

BTW a friend does his version of a walk-around from the driver's seat. He slides open a window, pops his head out and looks back - just to be sure he unhooked.

But after the checklist is completed, and just before putting the transmission in Drive, there should be one very important activity.

Sorry Steve but I have to disagree.  You indicated after the check list is complete.  The walk around should be the one of the last items on the check list and should have been completed prior to entering the coach prior to belting yourself into the drivers seat.

You're right Ron, the walk around should be the last thing done.  I mis-typed ;)

Thanks for noting the correction!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom