The Unofficial Motorcycle Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just FF to a small block Chevy….

I saw they added a bb. I’m amazed at how well the mufflers tone down those engines. They aren’t loud at all unless your really climbing into it.

I have a couple bikes. My wife has my old 2003 Honda Shadow 750, which we had given to a friend with liver cancer. When he passed away during Covid, his wife gave it back to use almost a year later. While he had it, he installed a Voyager type kit on it, adding 2 extra wheels on the back, so he didn't have to hold the bike up, as his strength failed. Now, it's my wife's "trike". Before we gave it to our friend, I got a 2013 Harley Dyna SuperGlide. I rode the Honda daily for nearly 15 years, even through the light snows we get in NM. Since I got the Harley, I decided it's not worth it to ride in the snow and ice. I'll try to post some pics of the Harley. Don't have any of the Honda with the kit on it.

Another Tail of the Dragon-type route:
I-40 or US 70 easterly from Asheville, NC to Old Fort (Mile 72 on I-40); nine miles farther on 70 after it departs I-40 to NC 80. That snakes northward across the Blue Ridge Parkway to US 19E at Micaville. Very interesting ride. A fun way back (longer) is 19E to Spruce Pine then south on NC 226, to south on US 221.

Also from the foot of bottom of US 221 (south from Robbinsville, nearest city to the south end of the Tail of the Dragon), east on aUs 74 2.1 miles to Wayah Road on the right. Sneaky turn -- looks like a driveway, easy to miss. This goes over the mountain to US 64 west of Franklin, NC. Coming down the mountain those big wet leaves on the blacktop are right slickery.

And then of course Moonshine 28 from Franklin up to the Tail.

The most dangerous and demanding road I've ever taken is U 421 from Bristol, TN down to US 321 west of Boone. Two mountain ranges, two valleys; in the mountains no sight line longer than 100', vertical rock at one shoulder and hundreds of feet of vertical drop-off on the other, constant hairpins and switchbacks, no place to get out of a tgraffic lane, and nearly 50 miles. The Tail is a walk in the park compared to this. I did it on a Suzuki V-Strom 1000. I'd never do it on a heavy cruiser or anything without the brakes and handling of a sportbike. (Or a V-Strom or equivalent.)

Last edited:
Route 555 or the triple nickel is as good as it gets in Ohio. Neat ride with dips and twists, just not the panoramic views that mountains offer.

I live in Kenton. We go to Mt Vernon then wind our way to Zanesville. Typically end up in Marietta, nice historic old town.

Ray, I thought the XLCH was the kickstart model, Competition Hot. And they were quick.
Mine was electric start only. I had the 4G fat tank, the skinny 1.2G tank, solo seat and the buddy seat for the bike. When DW wanted to go with me, it took about 15 minutes to make the switch. The first lesson learned was, don't start a rocket-run with the skinny tank___.
reference: 1969 Harley Davidson XLCH Starters & Components | Relays, Solenoids, Motors - MOTORCYCLEiD.com

Last edited:
Another Tail of the Dragon-type route:
I-40 or US 70 easterly from Asheville, NC to Old Fort (Mile 72 on I-40); nine miles farther on 70 after it departs I-40 to NC 80. That snakes northward across the Blue Ridge Parkway to US 19E at Micaville. Very interesting ride. A fun way back (longer) is 19E to Spruce Pine then south on NC 226, to south on US 221.

Also from the foot of bottom of US 221 (south from Robbinsville, nearest city to the south end of the Tail of the Dragon), east on aUs 74 2.1 miles to Wayah Road on the right. Sneaky turn -- looks like a driveway, easy to miss. This goes over the mountain to US 64 west of Franklin, NC. Coming down the mountain those big wet leaves on the blacktop are right slickery.

And then of course Moonshine 28 from Franklin up to the Tail.

The most dangerous and demanding road I've ever taken is U 421 from Bristol, TN down to US 321 west of Boone. Two mountain ranges, two valleys; in the mountains no sight line longer than 100', vertical rock at one shoulder and hundreds of feet of vertical drop-off on the other, constant hairpins and switchbacks, no place to get out of a tgraffic lane, and nearly 50 miles. The Tail is a walk in the park compared to this. I did it on a Suzuki V-Strom 1000. I'd never do it on a heavy cruiser or anything without the brakes and handling of a sportbike. (Or a V-Strom or equivalent.)
I've ridden that road probably 20 or more times.....it's definitely a fun ride down the mountain and into Shady Valley, then back up the other mountain and towards Mountain city. I certainly wouldn't say that it's any more dangerous than "The Dragon"....in fact it's not quite as "tight" as the Dragon....kind of an inbetween the Dragon and the Cherohala skyway.

I've been through Deals Gap literally hundreds of times. From my driveway at the house, to where you cross Tabcat Bridge and leave the lake..and start up the hill, is right at 18 miles. And just for clarification, heading south out of Robbinsville towards Topton to Rt. 74.....that road is still US129 not US 221.

I also love that section of US 28 going south....from the US74 down to about Oak Grove....been through that section many, many times too.

Last edited:
I've ridden that road probably 20 or more times.....it's definitely a fun ride down the mountain and into Shady Valley, then back up the other mountain and towards Mountain city. I certainly wouldn't say that it's any more dangerous than "The Dragon"....in fact it's not quite as "tight" as the Dragon....kind of an inbetween the Dragon and the Cherohala skyway.
Another curvy road in this area is TN Hwy 32 out of Cosby. It might not be as tight as the Dragon, but if the right bike is ridden, it goes all the way to Chattahoochee in NC. It turns into Mt Sterling Road in NC which is gravel.

Another curvy road in this area is TN Hwy 32 out of Cosby. It might not be as tight as the Dragon, but if the right bike is ridden, it goes all the way to Chattahoochee in NC. It turns into Mt Sterling Road in NC which is gravel.
I just looked that one up on Google maps.....I've never been on that one but it sure looks like fun. There are so many good roads in this area of the country that you can head out in almost any direction and find some twisties. Thanks for the Rt. 32 info, we'll have to check it out after the winter/snowy season is over.!

The couple who picked up the Energica Experias took their time getting back to Florida. They had several stops of a few days each on the way back. Places such as Oatman, AZ and New Orleans, LA and several other stops.

You can see their entire route here. Looks like they live somewhat close to @SeilerBird.

So now we all know we can travel across the entire USA on an electric motorcycle.

I should be getting mine any day now, but in this nonstop rain, there is no hurry.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Here’s where I got side tracked.
Yea, we know from participating here, forum information must be taken by separating opinions from fact. I used to have a lot of pictures of the bike, but a ex-wife burned them. This picture is off the internet, but mine had a windshield, both large and small tanks, solo and buddy seat.
1673213253500.png

Well I remember my brother’s. It was an XLCH and kick only. It started hard. We replaced the points and condenser (with 6 cyl Chevy parts IIRC). Was a one or two kick bike after that. Incidentally it shifted on the right and brakes were on the left. I was told that was its roots in flat track. I always thought an XR 750 would have been a fun street bobber.

Well I remember my brother’s. It was an XLCH and kick only. It started hard. We replaced the points and condenser (with 6 cyl Chevy parts IIRC). Was a one or two kick bike after that. Incidentally it shifted on the right and brakes were on the left. I was told that was its roots in flat track. I always thought an XR 750 would have been a fun street bobber.
I had a '72 XLCH kick only at one point. It was difficult to keep it running well, when I didn't ride it every day, though it would usually start within 3 kicks, and the shift/brake swap always made that first ride "fun", when I shifted down instead of hitting the brake to slow down. Mine had the generator instead of the magneto, but I found out later it also had a cracked coil, as it would start and run for about 15 minutes, and then died, and wouldn't restart for several minutes, until the coil cooled and got closer together. Once I replaced the coil, it ran much better, but was still problematic, which is why I sold it.
As I recall, the shift/brake swap was only before '74, when they switched to the same as the Jap bikes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom