The Wasp Spray Myth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Optimistic Paranoid

A couple of people over in the "Is It Dangerous Being A Gay Woman On The Road At All?" thread recommended tha carrying of Wasp Spray for self defense.  I didn't want to hijack that thread, so here's a separate post on the subject.

I don?t have too many hot button issues.  One of the few I have, which I often run across on RV forums where they are discussing self-defense, is the advice to carry wasp spray to repel an assailant.

This drives me crazy.  There is ample evidence that pepper spray actually works.  This has been documented, over and over again, by police forces around the country.  The people pushing wasp spray as being just as effective can never point to any studies showing that it actually works.  They never say:  ?I had to use it once when I was attacked, and it worked great!?

Here?s a link to a YouTube video from a pepper spray manufacturer where they did a head to head test of pepper spray vs wasp spray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uy9MnQfk_0&has_verified=1

Here?s a link to another YouTube video, done by a guy with 25 years experience in the pesticide field, where it clearly shows he was not incapacitated at all by the wasp spray.

]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWj4xuacbyY]

Here?s a link to a news report concerning a home invasion in WA where the husband tried to use wasp spray on the intruder.  It had no effect at all!  The wife ended up stabbing the intruder to death with a steak knife to save her husband!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2529190/Intruder-killed-Crossfit-owners-planned-abduct-rape-wife-attacked-hours-earlier.html

Please, Please, STOP spreading this stupid myth!

I wonder if pepper spray is legal in Canada. Or bear spray. Can either be taken across the border?

Darn, I had high hopes for wasp spray, having heard about it somewhere else, a couple years ago. Suppose I'll spring for actual pepper spray. Thank you for the informative post.  :) 

ChasA said:
I wonder if pepper spray is legal in Canada. Or bear spray. Can either be taken across the border?

I hear you can BUY bear spray in Canada, but taking it across the border is hit-or-miss.  It may depend on where you are crossing the border.  It's a little hard to claim you need it for protection from bears if you're headed to the Atlantic Maritime provinces.  Less likely to be a problem if you're headed up the Al-Can.

There is pepper spray and pepper spray...
Some years ago the Michigan State Police did a test of several pepper sprays.. One of the volunteer "Muggers" (Troopers and Sargents in reality) was one of MY sargents. He was able to complete the attack.. Oh it was not easy but he was able to still "Mug" the Trooper who sprayed him.

of course nobody was actually hurt (Beyond the inflammation caused by the spray) but  You need to be careful what brand you buy.. and before you ask. I do not recall which brands were more effective.

What brand is more effective can also be determined by the individual.  Everyone will have a different reaction to different mace brands or wasp spray.  You cannot guarantee an attacker will be stopped with stun guns and in some brief instances guns so sprays are definitely not guaranteed.  They are still worth trying though.

A great back up is your fire extinguisher.  I know from 1st hand experience that a blast to the face will incapacitate most people.  (I was not the one incapacitated)

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Here?s a link to a YouTube video from a pepper spray manufacturer where they did a head to head test of pepper spray vs wasp spray.
I'm not debating the results and I have absolutely no opinion or technical knowledge on this matter but isn't this sort of like saying "Here's a test by Coke executives who concluded that Coke tastes better than Pepsi"?  8)  ::)

BTW, my wife carries pepper spray with her when she runs (given to her by a NYS Trooper friend of ours). She has thankfully never had to use it but the service manger at our local Subaru dealership accidentally did once (sorry!).  :eek:

It should be noted that while pepper spray or mace designed to deter humans is prohibited in some places, bear spray is allowed in many areas. Since we hike in bear country we always have some in the backpack, ready to put on the waist if needed. If someone felt the need for a spray protection, it would be more widely allowed than mace.

Mace/pepper spray does work.  Jerry has had to use it a couple of times when attacked by dogs on his morning walk.  Their reaction is to whine, put their tail down and slink away.  When Mace was first made available to civilians we got some in California but we had to attend a seminar on its use in order to get a permit to carry it.  Each one of us had to experience what it feels like and your eyes sting a lot.  Once you wash them out with water the stinging subsides, but it's difficult to do anything initially.  You cannot take it into Canada but apparently you can buy it there and if not Mace then bear spray is available.

ArdraF

I noticed that the new can of wasp spray that I used today had no odor and foamed up on contact. Thinking it may be a water based spray instead of the older petroleum base, that would make it less objectionable to the bear....Will be looking for a bear for trials.

Joezeppy said:
I'm not debating the results and I have absolutely no opinion or technical knowledge on this matter but isn't this sort of like saying "Here's a test by Coke executives who concluded that Coke tastes better than Pepsi"?  8)  ::)

A valid point, certainly.  Which is why I also gave the link for the test by the pesticide guy, which showed exactly the same result - or lack of result - as the pepper spray manufacturer's video.

And if you hunt around YouTube, you can find videos of military personnel being pepper sprayed as part of their training, showing the same results as the pepper spray manufacturer's video.

I agree.  Purchase a good quality pepper spray, like Fox Labs, or other product.  Shop for the highest concentration of capsicum.
Check local laws, as some states restrict the volume that can be used for self defense.  Practice with it, and replace it every couple years.  It does have an expiration date, and weakens over time.

BTW, on each state page on http://www.handgunlaw.us, there is a section towards the bottom on chemical sprays and stun guns, which is a convenient way for us wanderers to check on the legality of carrying pepper spray in any state.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
BTW, on each state page on http://www.handgunlaw.us, there is a section towards the bottom on chemical sprays and stun guns, which is a convenient way for us wanderers to check on the legality of carrying pepper spray in any state.

This is NH law:

Handgunlaw.us could find no restrictions in New Hampshire Law concerning Chemical Sprays, Stun Guns
Or Higher Capacity Magazine Bans.

Rene T said:
This is NH law:

Handgunlaw.us could find no restrictions in New Hampshire Law concerning Chemical Sprays, Stun Guns
Or Higher Capacity Magazine Bans.

Many more reasons to love NH.

Can't wait to visit again.

No need for them fancy chemicals, just invite this rugged Canadian along:
https://www.nanaimobulletin.com/news/95-year-old-b-c-resident-shoos-bear-out-of-her-kitchen-twice/

Ed

From my professional experience, I highly recommend any variety of Sabre Red pepper sprays. Its "heat" factor is 100% sourced from red peppers, with no chemicals or other toxic ingredients... and it HURTS, speaking from having been exposed both directly (required as a part of my instructor training) and indirectly in "friendly fire" crowd control situations. Many of the Sabre Red products are limited to law enforcement use, but they have a variety of civilian defense products as well.

Back
Top Bottom