thetford rv toilet keeps running and filling up bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thorace

Hi :D, We have an issue with our toilet, for some reason it wont stop filling up, and have to actually turn off the water so it doesnt overflow,  already happened once..  just a note: it doesnt leak out of the bottom, just a quiet small flow of water from the fill up valve (i think its called this).... its a 2012 thor ace model, and it doesnt seem old..... any help out there would be awesome and thankyou!

Remove the pedal cover and check the pedal arch that presses down on the valve,, that or the valve is defective and needs replacement.>>>Dan

The flush valve (water inlet) is leaking and needs to be replaced or the pedal is out of alignment and holding it slightly open.  Usually not hard to do either one, but requires basic handyman skills.  The parts location and ID will depend on the specific toilet model - they aren't standardized.

Mine does it sometimes when there is air in the lines and the flow is very low. Once the air gets out and the flow is normal it stops running. It usually happens if I am filling the fresh tank and flush the toilet.

This happened to my brand new one. Flooded the living room.
I replaced the entire toilet with a dometic and don't have any more problems

try removing you foot quickly so the ball snaps back quickly. Check for any TP the my be caught on the seal.

try removing you foot quickly so the ball snaps back quickly. Check for any TP the my be caught on the seal.

I got in the habit of doing this because the ball/flap was not sealing well with the bowl gasket. It eventually broke the ball drive arm. I wouldn't recommend letting it snap back quickly. You shouldn't have to do that.

Thorace,
It is highly likely that the valve got frozen or is worn out. They are no full to replace, but that is your choice or a whole new pot.
Matt

If we knew the make & model of the toilet, we could probably give more specific help, but it does sound like you have a bad valve. Parts for most RV toilets are readily available in RV supply stores or from Amazon.

I got in the habit of doing this because the ball/flap was not sealing well with the bowl gasket. It eventually broke the ball drive arm. I wouldn't recommend letting it snap back quickly. You shouldn't have to do that.
Dometic says in their owners manual to never allow the foot lever to slam closed, to close it slowly or the mechanism will break.
I rebuilt ours and the new spring pack was much weaker than the original, perhaps related?

Dometic says in their owners manual to never allow the foot lever to slam closed, to close it slowly or the mechanism will break.
I rebuilt ours and the new spring pack was much weaker than the original, perhaps related?
I was going to say... No, I didn't replace anything but the ball drive arm and valve. The breakage happened, I'm sure, because we were purposefully slamming the foot lever closed.

But yea, the reason was a poor seal of the ball at the gasket inside the bowl. The ball wasn't moving fully to closed position. OK, so perhaps it is because of an original weak-ish spring, but now that it's back together, it's holding water just fine. I'm thinking the gasket rim may need to be lubed occasionally with silicone so the ball slides smoothly into place. (?) Maybe it shouldn't have to be. I guess I'll see if the problem comes back.

So not to hijack this so move it if we need too. My bowl doesn’t hold water. Is that seal at the bottom replaceable? Will find model number when I get home

Lol. Nothing gets by me😁😁. Here is the model info

Attachments

• 4CE4049C-5EC6-4923-8179-3F5E2A51A993.jpeg
    4CE4049C-5EC6-4923-8179-3F5E2A51A993.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom