Thinking about buying a popup -- what about Forest River?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camper

We are considering buying our first popup camper.  Have done some tent camping in the past but are planning on two major trips in the next year or so -- one to Alaska and one out west.  We have been looking at the Forest River Flagstaff Model 625D.  It is a high wall model with all the luxuries -- A/C, oven and burners, microwave, a refrigerator a little larger than most, toilet/shower, double sink and the dinette is a slide. Both beds are queens, I think.  We have priced a new 2007 one at a local dealer for about $14,700 and they just got a used 2005 in and are asking $10,000 for it (probably could get them down a little).  We have seen pictures of the used one and it looks brand new.  Does any one have any advice for us?  Know anything about this company and model?  etc.?  Would appreciate any "food for thought".  We are in western NC and the dealer we have been talking to is Tom Johnson if anyone has any comments or knowledge of them.  Thanks.

I've heard a few positives about Tom Johnson's and no negatives, so I guess they are probably OK to deal with.

We haven't owned a pop-up in years, so will defer to some  current pop-up owners on the advice. However, in the price range you are talking about, wouldn't a hybrid give you more for your money?  Or are you trying to stick with a pop-up (towing economy, etc.)?

Well, my husband likes the idea of a popup for the towing issues.......he has a Toyota Tacoma 4 wheel drive and I have a Jeep Liberty 4 wheel drive.  This particular model has a motorized system for setting up, I think.  Also, not quite sure what a hybrid is?  If it is a "travel trailer" with foldout canvass sleeping areas, neither of us liked them and if it refers to the "hi-los" my husband doesn't like them.  We had a friend with a "hi-lo" (don't know the make, etc.) and to be honest, it looked and felt like it had cardboard walls.  I realize there are probably higher quality models of the hi-los, but husband says no.  We have also pulled a travel trailer (my parents' which is small -about 22 ft.) and between tent camping, popups and travel trailers versus costs of a fairly new type, we thought this model we looked at was a nice one with some of the "luxuries" of a trailer. 

NOt sure what brand or what year it was, but a year ago June while at  a BMX event in Rockford ILL and 18 ' camper that opened like a tent camper with slide out beds on both ends,  however the sides of the beds and the ends were hard pamel of some kind.  I just noticed it but didn't check it out, but it stuck in my mind and now wish I had.  When the ed and side panels were brought down it was just a tent camper.  Never saw one before nor after.  Perhaps the guy made the side and end panels made them himself.    The day it rained up there one of the kids there told us it didn't leak.  Who knows?  looked decent tho.

I've got a 2008 Forest River Flagstaff 823.  4 kids, DW, and me.  WE all LOVE it!!!  TV is a '98 toyota Sienna 3.0L v6.  Some would say underpowered, but I put on a tranny cooler and have done some sizeable hills with no issue.  I'd have no reservations recommending a Forest River PUP.  Make sure you check out your dearler.  Any issues you have with a PUP will be really bad or no problem depending on the dealer.  I firmly believe most of these rigs are pretty much the same, it is the dealer that makes it a crummy experience or a good one.  Happy Trails.

It might be a good idea to upgrade your towing vehicle. A heavier type pop-up like yours could push you thru a stop light pretty easily. i would look into a Grand Cherokee diesel. that gives you a 7,400 lb capacity.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom