Thinking 'Bout This Pulsar Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamsend

I think I like this portable inverter generator.  Same specs as equivalent Honda and $300 cheaper than cheapest honda 2000 I can find.  Has gotten excellent reviews on web.  Will use only for battery back up and emergencies, no A/C for example.  Decided I can handle a 46 lbs weight, as long as I don't have to carry it really far.

And besides, it matches the color and graphics of my TT.  ;D ;D ;D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pulsar-2000-Watt-Parallel-Ready-Portable-Gasoline-Inverter-Generator-PG2000IS-/262485617488?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA08C4FA5087

Any thoughts?

Linda

While the price is attractive, this looks like just another Honda clone.  You can get similar prices from many Quartzsite vendors and from Harbor Freight on their inverter generator.

At least with Harbor Freight you know they'll be around to honor the warranty if there's a problem (90 days and 2 years on emission control components) and they usually offer an optional extended warranty at the cash register.

The biggest question with a no-name clone is where will you get parts and service?  Honda has an extensive service network (most Honda motorcycle and/or lawnmower dealers, for example) but they don't handle the clones.  Your warranty and service depends on the vendor or distributor sticking around.  If they go away, you've purchased a throwaway generator .. when it breaks, throw it away.

That's about the lowest priced one I've seen, with maybe the exception of the Harbor Freight inverter gensets. Lou's advice is on-target, but sometimes the price is attractive enough to be a quality all of its own.

You can choose from a dozen brands of small inverter gensets that are less than Honda & Yamaha, yet somewhat better known and maybe a prayer of finding parts or service if needed. Some popular brands are Champion, Briggs, Wen, Generac, and Honeywell. Probably going to cost $100 or so more than that Pulsar no-name, though. Caveat Emptor!

Try Amazon too - they sell several brands, with prices starting around $425.

Lou Schneider said:
, this looks like just another Honda clone.  You can get similar prices from many Quartzsite vendors and from Harbor Freight on their inverter generator.  At least with Harbor Freight you know they'll be around to honor the warranty if there's a problem (90 days and 2 years on emission control components)  . . . The biggest question with a no-name clone is where will you get parts and service?

Hello Lou
You bring up several points that I considered, and I think there is more to the Pulsar brand than you're giving credit for . .but, I have done much more research, and read many, many reviews, including folks who own Hondas so have been able to compare them operationally, so that is understandable.  The Pulsar warranty is 3 years on mechanical parts, and is more than just a Honda no-name clone I think-- Pulsar makes a full line of gas generators, with this being their smallest 4-stoke, up to about 7500 W I think. They also make other power equipment like compressors and power washers and are sold all over North America.  According to some reviews, parts are more available than for other non-Honda brands. 

Interesting you should mention Harbor Freight, and looking at their only offering in the 2000W inverter model, I would also consider it a  Honda "knock-off".  Secondly, when doing broad searches, the Harbor Freight model didn't show up anywhere -- and likely within 6 mos. HF will be offering yet another brand and no longer carry the one they have now.  Pulsar is sold by Sears, Menards, Home Depot, Overstock, Wayfair, Northern Tool, Walmart, Amazon, and on and on.  If the products weren't reliable and competitive, I don't think that many big name retailers would be offering various models.  HF's current 2000W inverter genny offering is the Predator brand, and Predator genny's are also sold by Sam's Club, Target, and a couple other retailers, but not nearly as extensively as the Pulsar brand.

http://www.generatorpowersource.com/pulsar-products-generator-review/#1

I've been sold on Hondas all along, but it's down to the nitty-gritty so was doing more research.  I've also looked closely at the Champions and Generac, and in fact, WEN and Westinghouse get some high marks in the rankings also.  But, the Pulsar still wins out as the alternative to the ~$500 more Honda (yes, I quoted the wrong differential price in my original post - got confused with the Honda EU1000i!). 

And, like you mention, I had thoughts that the Pulsar could be a "throw-away" unit, but, I don't think it will come to that.  If I perform a decent break-in on it, and run it periodically, change the oil etc. I do expect it to perform more than satisfactorily for my needs.  Besides, it is so cute!!

Thanks for your comments.
Linda

A warranty is only of value if there is some place to get the work done. What if you had to ship it back to [whoever & wherever] to get anything done? At your expense?

I'm not saying buy the Honda instead, but you should have your eyes wide open when you make the choice.  Even Yamaha, with its nationwide service network, gets a lot of warranty complaints because the Yamaha dealer shops give consumer products such a low priority vs their commercial equipment customers.

Or, you might buy the A-iPower https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-iPower-2000-Watt-Portable-Yamaha-Gasoline-Engine-Inverter-Generator-SUA2000i/232466939363?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D44040%26meid%3D234b0e56ce6c47e0b4d72e4afa299878%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D262485617488&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1 with a Yamaha motor and save another $50. Of course it's not as cute ?
Bob

prfcdoc said:
Or, you might buy the A-iPower . . . . . with a Yamaha motor and save another $50. Of course it's not as cute ?
Bob

I did look at this unit -- in fact, the A-iPower is what caught my eye, which eventually led me to the Pulsar.  The A-iPower was a serious contender.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
A warranty is only of value if there is some place to get the work done. What if you had to ship it back to [whoever & wherever] to get anything done?

You are correct, but I think that is gonna be true no matter what brand I buy.  Even with a Honda, I'll have to ship it or drive someplace to drop it off  (here in Indy I had to drive 17 miles one-way to a dealer to buy my Honda lawnmower!) -- and then go without till they maybe fix it.  Parts for the Pulsar are readily available from their Service and Warranty Dept. - toll-free.  If I can't diagnose the problem with help from Pulsar service dept, and fix it myself, or can't get some fellow RVer to help troubleshoot a fix, then I'd have to take it to a small engine repair shop, which let's face it, there is nothing all that different from one to another of these gas generators.  In doing this I'd have to pay for the repairs myself but I'm paying for the convenience of not shipping, and the personal face-to-face with whoever is doing the repairs.  If all that fails, . . then it's trash time.  But that is a lot of "IFs" and at some point, it just isn't worth it to "if" myself to death  :)

All good points however, and they certainly help to make sure I don't overlook something critical or convenient I might not have thought about.

Mucho thanks
Linda

I do have to say, that's an attractive generator. Looks like some kind of auxiliary power unit from Star Wars. I suggest buying it for that reason alone.  8)

captaindomon said:
Looks like some kind of auxiliary power unit from Star Wars.

Yah, that one put me over the top.  I ordered the Pulsar from Amazon; with my 5% prime points earned, the cost is $409.50.  There's this stuff called Royal Purple break-in oil that I'll likely pickup to use  and then replace that with a synthetic 10w30 for normal ops.

Reminds me of a short story-- May 1977, opening night of Star Wars at the Glenwood Theatre in suburb of Kansas City.  They were handing out big movie posters free, so I took one -- the original artwork.  It hung in my cubicle for a few years, picked up pin holes, a little rip and wrinkle here and there, and then I put it away in a tube.  Summer 2017, BIG household sale, so I slapped it on some poster board and used a picture of it as part of my advertising the sale on Offer up, Let go, etc.  Never made it to sale as I had 3-4 inquiries begging to buy it pre-sale -- went for $20.  Same thing for my kayak, had 6 people wanting it.  Now if I could just unload the China, silver, artwork, books, antique bear collection as easily, I'd be really jazzed.

Sorry to digress, anyway I'm happy about the Pulsar generator purchase.  Maybe I'll name it Wookie. . no, Yoda, . . no Vadar . .Did I mention it's so cute? ;)

Linda

Linda, you got me researching this thing and it looks pretty good. You can buy two of them and a parallel kit for less than one Honda 2000. :)) :))

Dreamsend said:
Yah, that one put me over the top.  I ordered the Pulsar from Amazon; with my 5% prime points earned, the cost is $409.50.  There's this stuff called Royal Purple break-in oil that I'll likely pickup to use  and then replace that with a synthetic 10w30 for normal ops.

Reminds me of a short story-- May 1977, opening night of Star Wars at the Glenwood Theatre in suburb of Kansas City.  They were handing out big movie posters free, so I took one -- the original artwork.  It hung in my cubicle for a few years, picked up pin holes, a little rip and wrinkle here and there, and then I put it away in a tube.  Summer 2017, BIG household sale, so I slapped it on some poster board and used a picture of it as part of my advertising the sale on Offer up, Let go, etc.  Never made it to sale as I had 3-4 inquiries begging to buy it pre-sale -- went for $20.  Same thing for my kayak, had 6 people wanting it.  Now if I could just unload the China, silver, artwork, books, antique bear collection as easily, I'd be really jazzed.

Sorry to digress, anyway I'm happy about the Pulsar generator purchase.  Maybe I'll name it Wookie. . no, Yoda, . . no Vadar . .Did I mention it's so cute? ;)

Linda

Yesssss!  ;D

All those small suitcase generators are made from the same parts. I bought a Sportsman 1000 watt off Amazon for $200 delivered. Works great and is perfect for charging the batteries, which is all I wanted it for.  And it only weighs 19 pounds. The side cases, fuel tank cap and switches are identical to the pulsar. Most of the issues with these small generators are fuel related. Keep the fuel fresh, use Sta-Bil and put a name brand spark plug in it after break-in and you likely will not have a problem.

Well, I've visited both links include the same model. No doubt, this portable generator is a clever pick. If you've made your mind to spend dollars for this model, I don't want to say something. But if you're considering a dual fuel propane generator, Champion 3400-Watt RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator can be another great option for you. Find more other latest models of dual fuel generators from Powertoolsguide.

Larry N. said:
Noah, she made her choice over 2? years ago -- note the dates.

I wouldn't waste my time replying to someone who has posted only 2 entries in almost two years. Both in threads that are over 2 years old themselves. Probably a spam bot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom