This is a terrible case of neglect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan Walters

I saw an ad for a 2001 Alpine 38' diesel motorhome in a local ad and was curious about it because of the low mileage and decent price.  I drove over to where this coach was, about 25 miles away, to check it out.  The photo of the coach looks like it is in decent condition, but it was far from it.  The roof has been leaking for some time in several places and there was mold and mildew in several spots on the interior as well as damage to the cabinets and carpeting and other interior furnishings.  The tires are dry rotted as well as the rubber seals around the doors and the slide.  The large living room slide is stuck partially open and the awning above it is split from dry rot.  All six batteries are dead, so it couldn't even be started.  There are spider webs all over the interior and in almost all of the outside compartments including the engine compartment.  I hate to see what the inside of the engine looks like after six years of running only 1600 miles.  The small access door in the picture just behind the left front wheel was missing.  I asked what happened to it and the lady said it had been stolen since the picture was made which seemed rather odd.  Who would want to steal an access door that wouldn't fit anything  but that coach?  The motorhome used to be a  beautiful coach, and still looks nice, despite being in an awfull neglected state.  I thought maybe it would be a good deal on a low mileage coach, but after looking at it I think it would cost a fortune to get it back to decent shape.  What a shame.

Dan

It's a pity that a beautiful coach like an Alpine was let go like that.  On the other hand, maybe there is a price that would make it worthwhile to restore. Probably far less $$ than the asking price, though.

Gary,

That's what I thought as well, but how would you determine what a reasonable price is without knowing what the hidden damages are?  I can calculate tires, batteries, roof leak repairs, awning replacement and other obvious things, but what about the engine, transmission, and hidden water damage.  What do you think a reasonable offer would be considering those problems?

Dan

Dan Walters said:
...  The tires are dry rotted as well as the rubber seals around the doors and the slide.  ...

While the tires are now right around their safe working life of 7 years, it seems strange they would have visible dry rot.  I guess that confirms the conventional wisdom that tires need to be exercised periodically to redistribute the oils in them...

I think I would have misgivings accepting that as a gift, based upon your findings and description!  :eek:

I do detect a hint of interest, nevertheless, in your post.

It cannot be started, as is, so you have precious little to go on, as to damages that are hidden. I would value it at "salvage value." Parts/components that you can see are valuable. Parts you can't, reasonably, see are not. Speculate that the engine and tranny are worth little more than "core" value. The tires have negative value. The fridge is probably a negative.

Add a little bit for the entertainment value of the project.  ::)

You probably can't get it for whatever that works out to be. JMHO.

Ray D  ;D

but...
it's a "MUST SEE"!  Doesn't that imply that it is in immaculate condition?  ??? :eek: ??? ::)

On a serious note... I'd be willing to trade it for my existing unit straight up.  Sounds like it needs the same amount of work....

jim

baadpuppy said:
but...
it's a "MUST SEE"!  Doesn't that imply that it is in immaculate condition?   ??? :eek: ??? ::)

On a serious note... I'd be willing to trade it for my existing unit straight up.  Sounds like it needs the same amount of work....

jim

Nah probably more since you have already started work on yours. ;) ;)

Baadpuppy, might be nice to have a waiting project, for when you finish the one you're on. Won't hurt that unit a bit, to sit around another year!  ::)

Ray D  ;D

Not far from Detroit is an island, Hartsen's Island.  They have a few houses there which are for sale, some of them are "Fixer-Uppers"

I've seen a few of them, I've seen the BEFORE picture, and the after house (After fix-up)

I won't go into details but When I refer to a hosue as a Hartsen's Island Fixer upper, It means when you do your walk through

Take some 2x12 to lay on the floor or you may find yourself walking through the basement suddenly and without warning.

Ron said:
Nah probably more since you have already started work on yours. ;) ;)

Good point Ron.

On the other hand... 12 years newer, 6' longer, 2KW more genset, 330HP? Diesel, Allison tranny, Auto leveling hydraulic system, slides, etc etc.

Hrm, I should find a wrecked diesel to get a donor engine/tranny.  Make this a REAL project and a half.  lol.

Truly a shame to see what neglect can lead to.  a 217K motorhome not worth spit in a mere 6 years.  :(  It is enough to make a grown man cry.

Strange that the front door is not painted ? Wonder if the title is a salvage ?

The lady that showed it to me said she was selling it for the original owner.  She said he took only 2 trips in it and one of them was to evacuate when Hurricane Rita hit us in 2005.  She also told me that the leak in the roof had been fixed, but there was fresh dirty water "splatter" on the dashboard and I looked up at the roof from the ground and didn't see any fresh lap seal or eternbond or anything that would indicate a repair.  I didn't get up on the roof, but it appeared the leak was coming from the front cap seam where it meets the rubber roof, so if it had been repaired properly, I would have seen some fresh sign of that even from the ground.  The mirrors on the backsplash above the kitchen counter were also water damaged with black spots around the corners.  The fiberglass on the bottom of the rear cap was also cracked in 2 places.  When I asked about that, she said he had a backup camera installed after he backed into something but the backup camera was a factory installation as far as I could tell.  I didn't ask her about the door being white, but probably would have gotten some tale about that if I had.  She also said several other things that didn't make sense so I've decided to just leave this one alone.

Dan

The mirrors on the backsplash above the kitchen counter were also water damaged with black spots around the corners.

Black spots always make me wonder about mildew.  Did it also smell bad?  Glad you stayed away from this one.

ArdraF

Ardra,

Yes, there was mold and mildew in several places, including a white looking mold or something on the front of the leather couch.  The black spots on the mirrors looked more like the mirror backing peeling off rather than mold or mildew, but it could have been that.  There was a bad spot of mold on the ceiling in the front that was in the carpet covering the ceiling.  That's why I believe the leak had been happening for some time and was still not fixed.  There was also a white chalky substance on the outside of the drivers side glass and the driver's side of the windshield that that was evidently residue from water run-off from the roof.  I just can't get over someone letting this nice coach run down like this.  It just makes me sick.

Dan

I was talking about this with a friend of mine today and tried to go back to the site but it was expired, sold or something........

You made an interesting statement.......used to evacuate from katrina......how about "in" Katrina.......might explain all those water stains and mold.

Dave,

Yes, I tried to go back to the ad and it had  been removed, so I took the link out of my original post.  If it did sell, I hope the buyer knew what he was getting into and got it for an appropriate price.  I think there are too many well maintained coaches out there that are not selling for that much more than they were asking for this one.  The lady that I talked to about it said that the owner would accept a "reasonable offer", so I asked her what she thought "reasonable" was and she said $80 - 85K.  That was still way out of the price range I would have considered paying for one with that much damage.  You are right, it may very well have been "in" hurricane Katrina's flooding in New Orleans, even though she said he evacuated in it from hurricane Rita which hit here in Southeast Texas.  Either way, it was a pretty sad case and I feel sorry for the buyer, unless he got it for a song, which I doubt.

Dan

Dan Walters said:
...  The black spots on the mirrors looked more like the mirror backing peeling off rather than mold or mildew, but it could have been that. ...
Black areas on mirrors, particularly those extending in from the edges, are typically caused by water.  Moisture gets in under the coating on the edge and oxidizes the reflective coating, turning it black.  The longer the exposure, the further the oxidation creeps in.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom