Thor Sequence?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rideswdog

Hi there, new to this forum and glad to see there is one specific to class B. I'm downsizing from a Lance TT which I've loved. But now as a solo female (dare I also say, aging?) traveler, I know I would get much more use from something that requires less set-up/take-down and I can just jump in and go for weekend trips and longer x-country trips. I have a large dog as my companion so he will be squeezing in, too. I've been looking at the Thor Sequence. I've compared some of the other Bs and, for the price, this seems to have a good number of features I like. Does anyone have any experience with this model?

Welcome to the Forum. I've got a travel trailer, so I can't help with info on the class B. However, I looked at the specs. Bs usually have smaller holding tanks than other classes of RVs. The Thor Sequence black and gray tanks are 20 gallons each. If you are careful with water use, they should last a week or more. Good luck in your quest.

Its all in the details. The Thor products usually tend to be mediocre quality, but it seems like all RV's are that way lately. What was mentioned above about tank sizes is one of the most important things and something I cannot seem to get right. To me, 20 gallons is way too small but I have not looked as specs for B models. Be aware, Class B models are more and more going to cassette type toilets. Its a matter of preference, so I mention it to make you aware of it.

It appears that Thor builds straight Class B models on the RAM Promaster chassis and the MB Sprinter chassis. Personally, I don't like the Promaster due to the fact it is front drive. It does allow a lower frame and floor, but it also make service much more difficult. Thor is not using the Transit chassis on the class B line.

It appears that Winnebago is doing the same thing, using the cheaper Promaster chassis for the lower priced B's and the Sprinter for the top of the line models. No Transits. I will say however, look hard at the WBO products as they are better quality than the Thor (generalized statement). One thing I did learn is that Winnebago actually has parts catalogs, wiring diagrams, plumbing drawings, all specific to the year/model/submodel/serial number group of motorized RV. Readily accessible and can be saved for offline use years from now. No other manufacturer has this, and its worth it when time comes to repair or modify an RV.

To me, the best van is the Transit (or the Sprinter if you have money, lots of it). This article linked below does not consider the Pleasure Way models or the Leisure Travel Vans, both are Canadian manufactured Class B or B+ RV's that are very good quality and popular, but pricey.

The following is an other wise useless article on Transit based class B models. It mentions the Coachman Beyond, the others it lists are all custom built off road types......... Link to the not too informative article.

Coachman Beyond corporate website

Charles

Welcome to the Forum. I've got a travel trailer, so I can't help with info on the class B. However, I looked at the specs. Bs usually have smaller holding tanks than other classes of RVs. The Thor Sequence black and gray tanks are 20 gallons each. If you are careful with water use, they should last a week or more. Good luck in your quest.
Thank you for the response. Yes, I was thinking the tank size would be sufficient. I anticipate a lot of 2-3 day trips and a few much longer trips during the year. Even if I find a place to stay 1x/week, hoping that would be sufficient.

Its all in the details. The Thor products usually tend to be mediocre quality, but it seems like all RV's are that way lately. What was mentioned above about tank sizes is one of the most important things and something I cannot seem to get right. To me, 20 gallons is way too small but I have not looked as specs for B models. Be aware, Class B models are more and more going to cassette type toilets. Its a matter of preference, so I mention it to make you aware of it.

It appears that Thor builds straight Class B models on the RAM Promaster chassis and the MB Sprinter chassis. Personally, I don't like the Promaster due to the fact it is front drive. It does allow a lower frame and floor, but it also make service much more difficult. Thor is not using the Transit chassis on the class B line.

It appears that Winnebago is doing the same thing, using the cheaper Promaster chassis for the lower priced B's and the Sprinter for the top of the line models. No Transits. I will say however, look hard at the WBO products as they are better quality than the Thor (generalized statement). One thing I did learn is that Winnebago actually has parts catalogs, wiring diagrams, plumbing drawings, all specific to the year/model/submodel/serial number group of motorized RV. Readily accessible and can be saved for offline use years from now. No other manufacturer has this, and its worth it when time comes to repair or modify an RV.

To me, the best van is the Transit (or the Sprinter if you have money, lots of it). This article linked below does not consider the Pleasure Way models or the Leisure Travel Vans, both are Canadian manufactured Class B or B+ RV's that are very good quality and popular, but pricey.

The following is an other wise useless article on Transit based class B models. It mentions the Coachman Beyond, the others it lists are all custom built off road types......... Link to the not too informative article.

Coachman Beyond corporate website

Charles
Thanks so much, Charles. This is all helpful.

I actually think the cartridge toilet might be a good option for me. Mainly looking for those middle of the night needs! Can try to time most stops accordingly. Also, as I have acreage myself so for my short trips, I can empty gray water at home and that would mean I don't need to do sewer hookup at all - just remove the cartridge when I get home...

I do like WBO product and reputation. One difference between it and the Sequence is the bathroom location. I really like the layout of the Sequence which uses the whole backspace rather than just behind the driver's seat ;o Good to know about the parts catalog, etc. I also want at least one seat behind the driver/co-pilot seats in event I bring my parents on a drive. Don't want one of them isolated way in the back where I know they won't be able to participate in conversation. Maybe I just need to get over the layout.

I've stayed away from the Sprinters because I've known folks w/ Mercedes products and they've been a nightmare. Plus I worry about ability to get parts or knowledgeable techs if I'm out in the middle of nowhere. The Transits have seemed much too small with an 84-lb dog in tow. I'll take a look at the links you've provided and think more about what other models I should be considering.

Much appreciated!

The Transits have seemed much too small with an 84-lb dog in tow. I'll take a look at the links you've provided and think more about what other models I should be considering.
It almost sounds like you are thinking of the little Transit Connect, and not the full size Transit. The Sprinter has them beat, and the Transit and Promaster both have good and bad points as far as size, but Promaster has a slight edge due to its very boxy shape.

Also be aware that the Sprinter 3500/4500 and the Transit 350, both with dual wheels, lose a lot of floor width at the rear wheel houses as the wheels are move inward as opposed to the typical truck fashion of having wheels poking out the sides.

This is the best size comparison I have seen between the Sprinter, Transit, Promaster and the Nissan NV3500. It even has interior cutaway shots to show some of the measurement points.

Choosing a Van: Transit VS Sprinter VS Promaster VS NV - FarOutRide

And another set of size comparisons

Van Dimensions & Comparisons + Sprinter + Transit + ProMaster

On factory builds it all comes down to how the manufacturer chooses to build the interior for space utilization.

If you have not see the Youtube channel From She to Me it is worth watching as they travel for short and long durations, from their home in southern California, in a Pleasure Way Sprinter based van. She offers a lot of tidbits on cooking with the limited facilities and on space utilization and storage. I tend to watch for the places they visit out west and the photography. Someone in my age bracket I can better relate to helps also.

You might look at the posts and threads by Len and Jo here on RVForum as they have recently retired their old camper van and acquired a new Pleasure Way model.

Our new 2022 Pleasure Way OnTour 2.2

Charles

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom