Thoughts On Getting High

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arcticfox2005

My wife and I both suffer some of the aches and pains of getting old and I in particular don't want anything to do with opiods. So we decided to give medical marijuana a go. We took the motorhome and traveled to the nearest state where recreational weed is legal,
visited 3 dispensaries and bought as many containers of THC gummies as we could in each one. (it is tightly regulated) After we got back home the next couple of weeks was spent trying to find the dosage that would give pain management without getting high.

It's not easy.

Once, I took one 5 mg dose too close to a previous one and got looped.

It was the most unpleasant sensation I have ever been through since having my tonsils out as a child. I still remember the ether being dripped on the cloth covered tea strainer placed over my nose.

Anyway, what I can't figure out is why anyone would even want to get high and I will strive to never make that mistake again.

What about your experience? Did you feel the same way or was yours more pleasant? There are enough people smoking weed to send the message that they like it but I don't see it. Not at all.

Bill

My wife and I both suffer some of the aches and pains of getting old and I in particular don't want anything to do with opiods. So we decided to give medical marijuana a go. We took the motorhome and traveled to the nearest state where recreational weed is legal,
visited 3 dispensaries and bought as many containers of THC gummies as we could in each one. (it is tightly regulated) After we got back home the next couple of weeks was spent trying to find the dosage that would give pain management without getting high.

It's not easy.

It was the most unpleasant sensation I have ever been through since having my tonsils out as a child. I still remember the ether being dripped on the cloth covered tea strainer placed over my nose.

Anyway, what I can't figure out is why anyone would even want to get high and I will strive to never make that mistake again.

What about your experience? Did you feel the same way or was yours more pleasant? There are enough people smoking weed to send the message that they like it but I don't see it. Not at all.

Bill
I must admit to being too scared to even try. I smoked cigarettes for many years, unable to quit until one day I quit cold turkey (c 1978). I remember the tobacco execs on the Hill swearing that nicotine was not addictive.

Did you ask the people at the place you bought what might be best for you.
There is good info here
If you get the lozenges instead of the gummies you can regulate the amount of effect you get by taking the thing out of your mouth for a while.
The trouble with CBD oil is there is no regulation of the product you do not know how it is made and/or the strength and SOME are made from Hemp a distant cousin to Marijuana

^ There are strains of marijuana bred which produce no high, specifically for those intolerant or not wanting the cerebral effects of THC. As donn mentioned, the pain-killing compound is actually CBD, not THC.

My $0.02, which turned into a couple of bucks:

Maybe I'm the only one here who thinks this way. Getting high is like getting a buzz from consuming alcohol. It's probably not a good thing to do all the time, and THC can cause certain types of dependency, mostly psychological. If you need to stop cold-turkey, it's really not hard at all. Absolutely nothing like nicotine. But marijuana can be very enjoyable for occasional recreational use, and also pain management.

I think the dumbest thing to do, when someone wants to "try" marijuana, is to start with edibles. The dosing is imprecise. Nobody knows their tolerance to start, or how they will react. The onset of the cerebral effects is significantly delayed (sometimes an hour or more) when using edibles, which often leads to very strong and unstoppable effects. This lands a lot of people in the ER, concerned about overdose or that they've damaged themselves. The likelihood of that (other than eventually falling to sleep) is very low, but it causes a lot of people to freak out and have a really bad experience. For that reason, I would say it's worth trying at least twice. If you drink, remember the first time you got drunk and probably did too much, and maybe you'll never drink Tequila again. Same deal. In maturity, you are able to enjoy and savor a fantastic glass of wine, or enjoy a very pleasant high in the same way.

If anyone wants to try, I'd recommend smoking it first. No, really. The effects are near-instantaneous (within a couple of minutes). If you feel nothing, you can smoke a little more. When you think you've reached a good level, stop smoking it, and let it ride. The smoke itself is very dry, it's much cleaner than cigarette smoke, and although there is risk, it's my recommended way to intro oneself to marijuana. If you don't prefer to smoke long-term, THEN try edibles. They are a different animal and to me, the feelings and high they produce are somewhat different than smoking.

The other important part....get high your first couple of times with people who are experienced. They can help you understand what you're feeling and be there for you, if you need them.

I personally think the cerebral effects are wonderful. Especially when immersed in the beauty of nature, I can let my mind run free and be a witness to my thoughts. THC can be very thought-provoking, it can dredge memories, good or bad, depending on where my mind is at, and it's great at inducing very pleasurable feelings, at least for me. In maturity I can steer my thoughts to be positive. The memories it helps me access....amazing. Things I haven't thought about in years, I understand them in new ways. It helps me process complex feelings and thoughts in the present. But you have to let it take you to that place and you have to be ready for it, creating both the time and space.

And since we are on an RV forum, never, EVER drive under the influence of marijuana.

Oregon's Willamette Valley had a "hemp boom" last year and there are many products available. Many of my friends who have typical "getting older" pain swear by the benefits of using the lotion, capsules, and tincture. I tried them for a month for my neuropathy pain with no luck - however I know dozens of people who found relief when other medicines didn't work. There is a significant difference by product due to little or no regulation as stated above. The first time I did the tincture I felt the high effects but after that it didn't mess with my mind.

I don't understand the market forces very well - but in 2020 hemp was one of the largest crops in the Willamette Valley in terms of acreage and people invested millions into harvesting, drying, and processing facilities. Farmers were expected to make 50k per acre (which I never believed). It didn't pan out and this year hardly anyone is doing the same. The bottom of the market fell out.

I used to smoke the stuff when I was young and stupid.
I live where it is legal, now, and tried some of the chewies to see if it helped with my chronic pain.
It makes me pretty silly, sometimes.
And, yes, the edible can make you feel spacey and affect you cognitive abilities, and if you take too much it can get really uncomfortable. And taking it orally, the effects can take a lot longer to wear off.

I never take any of it when I am going to be driving anywhere.
Also, we never take it with us in the RV. The federal laws are still in force, and we don't need that hassle.

I have been wanting to try CBD oil to control bouts of vertigo but am reluctant as no one knows if it will have an effect on another medication I take. Two doctors have told me go ahead if I want but I'm on my own, they have no idea what might happen. Thanks a lot! My late wife took it to control pain from cancer, oxycodon and oxycontin weren't working and she was a mess. It worked but she didn't like being loopy. Her son brewed up the oil so the THC wasn't removed.

As an experienced cannabis user, I agree with Skookum above. Very good advice, and well worth heeding. Edibles can be risky until you know your preferred dosage.

Also, keep in mind CBD is not psychoactive, and shouldn't get you "high" at all. Find a reputable producer and talk about your needs with them. If you'd like a recommendation, feel free to PM me.

Thanks to all who contributed.

I will make a few comments.

First of all, consider the entourage effect. THC and CBD both have pain moderating abilities, but together the effect is greater than either of them alone. That is why every product we looked at and the ones we bought have both THC and CBD in them - most commonly in a 1:1 ratio.

If you stay away from "on the shelf by the cash register products at the local gas station" and only purchase at a state registered dispensary, you will get a product that is independently lab tested and usually has the analysis printed on the label. Also, there are websites that rate various producers in terms of the quality of their product.

Once again, both CBD and THC have pain moderating abilities, not just CBD alone.

Buying the weed and smoking it is a non-starter. True, the effect is almost immediate, but being a lifetime non-smoker, that is not an option. Gummies are easily cut so getting 5mg or 2.5mg per dose is no problem. Also, no smell.

The products we bought were stored away and only touched after we got home to our stick-built house and are never used on any day when driving is a possibility.

Bill

It's not easy.

Bill
I had arteries removed from both forearms for a quad arterial bypass in 2000 (lasts longer than the veinous bypasses - I've had that also and that's what was being replaced after they plugged...)... anyhow, I had phantom nerve pain in my forearms up my wrists and into the hands that could not be touched by opioids.

Being a very infrequent pot smoker I eventually did a couple of "tokes" of some very old pot I had never thrown out. To my delight, somehow the phantom pains went away and stayed away for a few days! For the next five+ years I continued to have the pains with decreasing frequency and severity and I would self-medicate with minimal pot used. And now, twenty years later I only have numbness on the back of my left hand and around the scar tissue when the arteries were stripped out no more pain, no burning sensation, no tingling so the nerves are as healed as they will get and I got through the bad parts.

In the beginning I had spent about three months after the bypass sitting and holding my forearms up to prevent touching anything, in tears of pain and frustration.

Maybe it was my imagination? I don't care... it worked for me where Western medicine only wanted to make me nearly unconscious.

Some folks react to pot and CBD differently - I kinda think it's the same as any plant --> some folks are allergic and some are not, some enjoy the taste of a veggie and some do not.

SIL uses liquid or syrup. She is closing in on 70 y/o and it is a huge relaxer for her before bedtime. I accidentally thought her passionfruit flavored liquid was fruit juice and went on a really big trip... I am a total social drinker exclusively and was also drinking vodka. I can't say that in the social situation (at home "partying") it wasn't pretty fun.

My son has a weed card and he is a regular smoker. He's suffered from anxiety and depression for a long time. I can tell when he is off the weed. In his teens we actually had him on some pharmaceuticals that TBH I didn't like him on but the effects were noticeably good. I'd rather him smoke some weed than to be unbalanced.

I tried Marijuana in HS in the 70's like everyone else. I'd laugh hysterically, get the munchies for 5 minutes then pass out all in the space of like 30-40 minutes. Weed was not for me. I won't get into other things I've done and leave it there.

When I retired in May I went to AZ for my birthday and tried several things to see if I like it. I did smoke, gummies and drinkables. I decided that it still really isn't for me. I may smoke some weed or drink some liquids while in "let my hair down" mode but it really tunes me out to be doing it on a day to day basis.

It is very true that you need to figure out your dose over the course of several days for edibles. For me the effects took up to an hour to kick in but the effects lasted a lot longer than weed.

Well I'm late to the pot party. o_O

I guess I could I ask my SIL. He has been self-medicating for years, convinced my Daughter it is the greatest, and she ( according to the grands) is a regular user. Crazy thing his her ex tried to introduce her to it and she wouldn't touch it.

His issue is mental, hers is fibromyalgia. Only a matter of time till we have her other two children.

I've been a recreational smoker since sometime in the 70's. I went to Colorado one time and picked up some edibles just to try them. Took a piece of a chocolate bar equivalent to half of one of the squares of a normal Hershey bar. Hated the way it made me feel, and went right back to smoking for my high.

It all affects different people different ways. Back in the day when we could get hash, a couple of hits would do me. My wife could smoke it all night long and not feel a thing. Yet regular weed affected her about the same as it did me.
I now normally smoke a hybrid between sativa and indica and find that a couple of hits off the pipe affect me about the same as a couple of beers, without the calories.

I was the odd one in the 70s, and I never tried cannabis in any form. I just do not like the idea of being out of control, so no drugs and only small quantities of alcohol (I can still count on one hand the number of times I have been drunk). Later I worked in military defense engineering with serious clearances, and cannabis use would have been the death of my career. However I have been retired a long time and going in for shoulder surgery tomorrow morning. I went to a legal dispensary for a nice chat. The budtender noted smoking would give me more control over dosing, but I just can’t stand even the thought. My mother died of lung cancer, and smoking comes with all kinds of bad memories. It just won’t happen. So I ended up with a nice gummy, 1:1 THC and CBD. Hopefully it will let me get off the opioids faster. I will let you know in 3 weeks or so.

My mother-in-law and a few close friends died of lung cancer. You talk about a horrible, miserable suffering. I have never smoked a single thing, and never would be able to. Good luck with your surgery!

My Wife suffers PTSD and it's NO JOKE..

She also has a list of other problems and is 100% disable by VA and Medicare.

Despite all her conditions I/we know of no source for free pot.

She does have her state medical card and does use it when needed. But she has never come close to using her monthly allotment.

Back
Top Bottom