Thru Yellowstone on 89/191?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Hi all,
Next month we will be coming down from Lewistown, MT on 191 and need to head to Jackson, WY to see some folks near there.  Looks like the only fairly direct route is right thru Yellowstone, which is fine since we haven't been there since 1992 and would enjoy another vist.  Is there anything I need to know about taking a 36 foot motorhome & toad down 89/191 through the park?  As I recall, the roads are not superhighways but are OK.

I'm thinking we may stop at Fishing Bridge for a couple nights so we can re-visit the park in a more leisurely fashion. Any other suggestions?  Maybe the Yellowstone Inn Park further to the east?  We stayed in West Yellowstone last time, but see no reason to go over that way given our planned route, so I think Grizzly in WY is out.

Gary,

The north side of Yellowstone was closed when we were there in '05 so haven't driven those roads.

A quick look at <http://www.nps.gov/yell/planvisit/orientation/travel/roadclos.htm> indicates no problems on your route.

Coming in from the west to Fishing Bridge was pretty intense I thought but there were big tour busses going the other way. Other than that - no issues with the roads with a big rv - just be ready to stop and watch the tourists watch the buffalo.

Joel

If it were me I would stay in Cody and drive the toad into the park.  Besides there is lots to see in Cody like the Buffalo Bill museum and the rodeos.  I highly recommend driving North of Cody same road we took  to get to where we overnighted that time at the mouth of Clarks Fork canyon, to the Chief Joseph highway then over Beartooth to Red Lodge Montana then back to Cody.  More scenic than Yellowstone.

RV Roamer said:
Hi all,
Next month we will be coming down from Lewistown, MT on 191 and need to head to Jackson, WY to see some folks near there.? ?Looks like the only fairly direct route is right thru Yellowstone, which is fine since we haven't been there since 1992 and would enjoy another vist.? ?Is there anything I need to know about taking a 36 foot motorhome & toad down 89/191 through the park?? As I recall, the roads are not superhighways but are OK.

I'm thinking we may stop at Fishing Bridge for a couple nights so we can re-visit the park in a more leisurely fashion. Any other suggestions?? Maybe the Yellowstone Inn Park further to the east?? ?We stayed in West Yellowstone last time, but see no reason to go over that way given our planned route, so I think Grizzly in WY is out.

I drove those roads every day in July and early August. It's a mixed bag. There are some rough sections and then some newly chip sealed or paved.  I was using a car but the road was being driven by big rigs some with long 20' trailers.

Gary -

If you use 191 and come in the west entrance you should do fine. The route to Canyon Village is a steep climb at times and doable. The southern route through West Thumb is a little less hilly as I recall and is probably not too much further to Fishing Bridge.

Although it is doable, we did it several years ago, the 89 route after the north entrance at Mammoth and into the park has some rather close quarters - as in up against some rather jagged rocks close to the road on the passenger side heading south. Again lots of folks to it so it can't be all that bad.

When we were there last year the upper loop was closed north of Canyon Village. It is probably open by now.

If your going to be there after Labor Day you will probably find that some of the facilities are closed for the season. They have a tradition there of Christmas in August and it goes back to a time when the area was hit by a major snow storm that stranded the railroad passengers in the lodge for about a week before they were able to get another train into the park. Remember you'll be at a good elevation and as a friend of mine is fond of saying - it's not the latitude, it's the altitude!!

Enjoy and looking forward to seeing you at the Fally Ralley!!

--  RayB  --

Gary,

You should have no problems with either 89/191 to Yellowstone.? The roads are 2 lane but in most cases in fairly good shape.? We did 191 from Bozeman 2X this year and it is OK to West Yellowstone.? I personally have not done 89 south of livingston but several people I know have and had no complaints.?

If you are coming south through Ringling and White Sulphur, check on the status of construction there as it has been rough.? Harlowtown through Big Timber is probably better road.

Before planning any stops in the area of Yellowstone, check on availability.? As Ray said, things close fast after labor day.? Most are closed by Sept. 15.?

Also Ray's comment,"it's not the latitude, it's the altitude!!", is true but being HALF way to the North Pole helps with the early snow too!? VBG

Have a good trip!

James Godward said:
Gary,

.?

If you are coming south through Ringling and White Sulphur, check on the status of construction there as it has been rough.? Harlowtown through Big Timber is probably better road.

Oh yes, I drove that constuction area several weeks ago and it was 7 miles of mud from them watering it constantly to keep down dust.  The total construction is more miles than that and mostly dirt but those 7 miles of the portion they were working was all mud. I went back through Big Timber

Thanks to all  for the suggestions.  This is a trip from Lewistown MT to to Jackson WY rather than a visit to Yellowstone, so seeing some of YS is a fringe benefit rather than the major objective.

Ron:  Going through Cody is long detour to the east, since we are headed for Jackson.  I'd do cody if just taking a tour of the park, but it seems like a lot of extra driving to get to Jackson.  Have you ever driven 191 from west of Lewistown down south to Big Timber on 90?  And then 89 from Livingston on I90 down to the North entrance of YS?  I'm kind of assuming that people routinely drive RV's into YS that way.

Ray, James: I was trying to avoid the detour around to West Yellowstone from Livingstone on I90, but I guess it's not all that much extra mileage.

From Livingston going south on 89 to the North Entrance Rd of YS someone mention on another post the seciton between Mammoth Hot Spring and Norris....

Phil said:
The only section that I would not want to take my MH on is between Norris and Mammoth but, my MH is only 32 feet long.

Phil

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=4381.0

Ron
Please post how fishing bridge is we will be staying there the end of may next year. Would love to hear about Fishing Bridge we have a 39' DP.
We will be coming into yellowstone at the east entrance.

Thanks Colleen

Per the other Yellowstone thread that is currently running, it looks as though a stay at Yellowstone Edge on 89 north of the park would be a good choice. 30 minute drive in/out of the park, though. But West Yellowstone isn't  exactly close in either.

For what you want to do, Lewistown to Big Timber to Livingston to Yellowstone is the best way to go.

James,
Did you mean West Yellowstone?  Or are you saying the direct route down 89 to the Yellowstone North Entrance is the way to go? I'm a bit concerned that neither Ray nor Phil think much of the stretch of 89 from Mammoth Hot Springs to Norris. Detouring west to go in via West Yellowstone avoids that.

Gary,

I admit to not having been over that stretch of road in a few years but don't recall anything particularly bad about it.  We drove it last in our SeaBreeze so that was probably 1999.  Not sure what has happened in the last few years. I checked the web site and that stretch is under construction so Ray and Phil are giving good information.  Looks like the trip to West Yellostone is better.

If you do go via West Yellowstone, let us know as we are at !-90 mp 298, MT 85.  Do NOT get off the I-90 on 191 and come through downtown Bozeman with the many tlights, lots of traffic and construction on the west end of town.  It is a couple of miles further to come to MT 85 but a much better drive, freeway all the way!!

If it works out that you come this way, you may want to check out the Museum of the Rockies especially if you have any interest in dinosaurs.  BG

Gary,

We haven't been down 89 to North Yellowstone for years so I dare not comment on that although I don't recall any concerns.  We have however traveled from Lewistown to Boseman and down 191 to West Yellowstone.  Nice place to stop and visit just East of Bozeman in Belgrade too.

colleenfl said:
Ron
Please post how fishing bridge is we will be staying there the end of may next year. Would love to hear about Fishing Bridge we have a 39' DP.
We will be coming into yellowstone at the east entrance.

Thanks Colleen

I can't comment on how Fishing Bridge is since we haven't been there for several years.  One problem with camping in the park is you miss a lot of things that are available to do in the evenings.  Cody has the Buffalo Bill Museum, and rodeos along with other things.  Personally I prefer the Chief Joseph highway/Beartooth drive for scenic quality better than in the park.

Ron said:
Gary,

We haven't been down 89 to North Yellowstone for years so I dare not comment on that although I don't recall any concerns.?

It's in excellent condition from Livingston all the way to Gardiner - speed limit 75 MPH. Need to be patient about passing at 4PM timeframe.  Folks are coming from Bozeman/Livingston work to home and some nut all ways bites off off more than his car can chew and things get dicey. I just lay back and let them have at it as do locals I know.

Cody WY
Just stayed right outside of Cody at Green Creek RV and the east entr to Yellowstone is closed from 8pm to 8am everyday for road const.  So that means if you stay in Cody make sure you are back at the E entr by 8pm or you will have to go around.  Also as a note on the road back to the E entr lots of buffalo and lots of stop time as they stay on the road so allow time for that.  We went two days and on the first day we just about missed the 8pm deadline due to folks that just would not go around the animals.
Cody is a great town with lots to do.  We spent a week, and did not even have enough time to do it well so it will be on next yrs list of stops.
Cheryl

Back
Top Bottom