Tie your own flies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Do you fly fish but don't tie your own flies? Ever get to the water only to find that you don't have a pattern anything close to what the fish are taking?

One of the must-take items in our RV is my fly tying kit, second only to my fishing gear. The kit takes up very little space and I can tie flies at the dining table.

I'm not an expert fly tyer by any stretch of the imagination, nor am I into the entomology stuff that bogs down so many fly tying books and classes. I have a few patterns that have worked for me and I'll keep some of each in my fly box. But I usually keep an eye open near the water to see what flies/insects are around. I then head back to the RV, rummage around my materials, and tie something that's close enough. Don't ask me to name some of these creations - they have no name and are undescribable.

Gee Tom, It has been years since I tied flys.  Now that you brought up the subject I can't even think where my flying stuff might be if I even have it around anymore.  Maybe I should give that some thought.

But Ron, you don't need to tie flies when you drag the lake with a grappling hook  :)

Back
Top Bottom